Re-mounting PCM - Idea?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Re-mounting PCM - Idea? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I've been toying with how to re-mount the PCM in order to run a different and/or more efficient intake setup...the ...
    fubar569 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 82 fleetwood - 97 deville

Re-mounting PCM - Idea?

I've been toying with how to re-mount the PCM in order to run a different and/or more efficient intake setup...the stock one is very good, but i want to evaluate the difference and see if any power is to be had...

if i mount the PCM in its own enclosure, it gets no airflow
    if i put it in a new airbox/etc...that presents a restriction...both the PCM and the "airbox"

well...dur...i'm a computer nut and know all about overdoing cooling...

make a new enclosure, mount PCM in enclosure, add small vents...for airflow, run XYZ size tubing to air source and put a 92mm or 120mm size fan flowing 100+ CFM inline with that tube...should be plenty of airflow to keep the PCM happy. the fan runs off 12v and usually take less than 1 amp draw to run (the particular one i have in mind is 650mA and 6 watts)

this would allow almost total freedom for any sort of revised intake setup should one choose to do it while keeping PCM nice and cool...

thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Re-mounting PCM - Idea?

I like the idea. Especially after discovering (this AM) that the PCM runs hot enough to cause pain if you try to pull it right after a road run. If you really think about it, just how much air flows through the air box at, say, 35 mph? Not much, because the throttle butterfly is barely off-idle and engine vacuum is up around 20". There's 8 or 10" of PCM pigtail to fool with, so there must be a solution.........OR go into the top of the existing box, through the cover held on by the resonator bolt.........

jadcock is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 2001 STS

I surmised in the other thread where submariner409 was asking about temperatures that the next step in automotive PCM cooling is active cooling (with a cooling fan, a la your home PC). I think the best deal would be to build your own PCM enclosure, and install two large muffin fans. They'd have to be pretty high capacity I'm sure, but it would probably provide the best alternative to the passive cooling it gets in the intake tract.

The '97 DeVille box is a bit different than the newer ones (or at least the one in my '01 STS). The air box actually sits "on top" of the PCM and all the air is drawn over the PCM (or at least most of it). In my '01, the PCM sits "in" the air box, and you can easily draw a direct path of air flow that doesn't intersect the PCM. It would seem that the newer design doesn't provide as much PCM cooling, but who knows.

airfuel2001 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

What I did was, I had a 3.5 in mandrel piece of pipe from the mass air 90 to my 4 in K&N where it stuck in the corner and was wedged there. I thought it would feed more reasonably cold air to the motor via a heat shield to block rad heat. I placed the computer between the fuse box and the filter and it wouldnt go anywhere, the problem was it would get HOT and that concerned me, after experimenting with that I now have a modded air box and am surprised it is more "crisp" and didnt feel any loss. I also have the peace of mind that the computer is air cooled.

I may duplicate this up in the Seville forum....anyhow, take a flashlight and look outboard of your Seville airbox, and you'll see a rather large hole in the sheetmetal of the side body panel which opens into the area behind the headlight and above the fender liner and lower air deflector panel. If you accurately cut the side out of the airbox and use some 1" foam weatherstripping to form a gasket, you have now more than doubled the air intake area from outside the engine compartment and increased the flow past the PCM.

lisekpl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

Quote Originally Posted by airfuel2001 View Post
    What I did was, I had a 3.5 in mandrel piece of pipe from the mass air 90 to my 4 in K&N where it stuck in the corner and was wedged there. I thought it would feed more reasonably cold air to the motor via a heat shield to block rad heat. I placed the computer between the fuse box and the filter and it wouldnt go anywhere, the problem was it would get HOT and that concerned me, after experimenting with that I now have a modded air box and am surprised it is more "crisp" and didnt feel any loss. I also have the peace of mind that the computer is air cooled.
    Can you upload a picture of this, I'm very interested. Thanks

jadcock is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 2001 STS

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    I may duplicate this up in the Seville forum....anyhow, take a flashlight and look outboard of your Seville airbox, and you'll see a rather large hole in the sheetmetal of the side body panel which opens into the area behind the headlight and above the fender liner and lower air deflector panel. If you accurately cut the side out of the airbox and use some 1" foam weatherstripping to form a gasket, you have now more than doubled the air intake area from outside the engine compartment and increased the flow past the PCM.
    Have you done this on yours?

AlBundy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by lisekpl View Post
    Can you upload a picture of this, I'm very interested. Thanks
    Very interested.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

The PCM is a digital device. It either works or it doesn't. As long as it doesn't throw codes or cause random problems it's working just fine. If it ain't broke don't fix it. What I'm trying to say is that the PCM functions just fine in its present environment. It may seem extreme for various human body parts but the PCM seems to tolerate it well. You're focusing on a problem that doesn't exist.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

dkoz......After some surfing, found out that most PCM's, no matter what mfr., seem to run around 120-130 degrees. Lotsa brainwork there.....(PCM - the big ones, not the chipsets out in the left fender area by the driver's foot......)
    Jadcock.......yep, the outboard side of my airbox looks like Swiss cheese. Didn't make a whit of difference anywhere that I can tell with a stopwatch and speedo.....pretty primitive. The PCM still hits 123 degrees measured with an IR thermometer. I'll probably score a used airbox online in case I need to restore things to close-to-stock.

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    dkoz......After some surfing, found out that most PCM's, no matter what mfr., seem to run around 120-130 degrees. Lotsa brainwork there.....(PCM - the big ones, not the chipsets out in the left fender area by the driver's foot......)
    Jadcock.......yep, the outboard side of my airbox looks like Swiss cheese. Didn't make a whit of difference anywhere that I can tell with a stopwatch and speedo.....pretty primitive. The PCM still hits 123 degrees measured with an IR thermometer. I'll probably score a used airbox online in case I need to restore things to close-to-stock.
    It might be interesting to find out what the worst case design specs are for the PCM. Because the car seems to run fine in desert environments it must be pretty tough.

When solid state electronic ignition systems first appeared on factory Detroit automobiles in the 60's they were all plagued with reliability troubles except for the GM DelCo systems that were mounted on the front side of the radiator support. MoPar systems in particular were problematic. Delco used a magnetic pickup and the Mopars were optical. The Delco black box was heavily finned and in a direct airflow path. I never saw one fail.

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

http://www.amerigon.com/index.php
    click on the 1 2 3 4 tabs

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    I have one.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.