Need Help Guys 00 Northstar Coil Problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Need Help Guys 00 Northstar Coil Problem in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi I have posted this before this is going on 2 months now and driving me crazy so any help ...
    Eldobroken is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Need Help Guys 00 Northstar Coil Problem

Hi I have posted this before this is going on 2 months now and driving me crazy so any help would be greatly appriciated. Man I wish Bob was still around beacuse I am at my wits end with this car.
    Long stort short my eldo stalls when hot and will not start until I take off coil modules and stretch ground springs out again. They are getting so hot they are loosing spring and turning black and melting the plastic round them.
    It will go for a few days with low throttle but a few heavy exceleration runs and it stalls for good.
    Ok what I have done, Including grounding everything to complete overkill and also new battery cables. #2 extra grounds going to block tranny and both heads all seperate. BTW when it stalls traction control light comes on.

1 New coil modules.
    2 New CPS Crank position sensors.
    3 Checked wiring for shorts.
    4 Cleaned grounds on computer and traction computer.
    5 Cleaned the area on the head where the spring connects to.
    6 Banged my head against a wall several times. :>(

BTW guys the car has a new tranny replaced about 5 mos ago.
    One of my questions is do you think the computer could be overvolting the coils, I say this beacuse I have checked and repalaced every ground possible as well as adding grounds. Any help would be a godsend as I am so fustrated with this car but looked real hard to get a 00 eldo and love the car but cannot fix this for the life of me. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Re: Need Help Guys 00 Northstar Coil Problem

Is there a relationship between the cradle being dropped to R & R the transmission and the onset of your ignition problems? That is the first question I would have after reading your post.

Dropping the cradle provides plenty of opportunities to damage a wire bundle or leave a connector not fully seated or any number of other items that were not installed correctly or left hanging loose.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    Is there a relationship between the cradle being dropped to R & R the transmission and the onset of your ignition problems? That is the first question I would have after reading your post.

Dropping the cradle provides plenty of opportunities to damage a wire bundle or leave a connector not fully seated or any number of other items that were not installed correctly or left hanging loose.
    Yes the problems started about 2 weeks after.

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Grounds
    The front of the trans may have three seperate bolted grounds

Ignition Coils/Modules
    The electronic ignition system uses an individual ignition coil for each cylinder. There are two separate ignition module assemblies located in the camshaft cover of each cylinder bank. Each ignition module assembly contains an ignition control module and four ignition coils. Each ignition coil connects directly to a spark plug using a boot. This arrangement eliminates the need for secondary ignition wires. The ignition module assemblies receive power from a fused ignition feed. Both ignition module assemblies connect to chassis ground. A Reference Low and four ignition control (IC) circuits connect each ignition module assembly to the PCM. The PCM uses the individual IC circuits to control coil sequencing and spark timing for each ignition coil. The IC circuits transmit timing pulses from the PCM to the ignition control module to trigger the ignition coil and fire the spark plug. The PCM controls ignition system sequencing and timing events.

This ignition system produces very high energy to fire the spark plug. There is no energy loss because of ignition wire resistance, or the resistance of the waste spark system. Also, since the firing is sequential, each coil has seven ignition events to saturate as opposed to the three in a waste spark arrangement.

Reference Low Circuits
    The reference low circuits provide a common ground between the PCM, and the ignition control modules. These circuits reduce the electrical ground shifts that may occur between the PCM and the ignition control modules. A malfunction in the reference low circuits may cause a poor driveability condition.

Results of Incorrect Operation
    An Ignition control circuit that is open, grounded, or shorted to voltage will set an ignition control circuit DTC. If a fault occurs in the IC output circuit when the engine is running, the engine will experience a misfire. DTCs P0351-P0358 indicate that the PCM detects a short to ground on an Ignition Control circuit. DTCs P1359 or P1360 will set when the PCM detects an open, a short to voltage on an IC circuit(s) that involve a cylinder group (i.e., cylinders 1/4/6/7 or 2/3/5/8). If both DTC P1359 and P1360 set, the most likely cause is a disconnected ignition coil cassette harness connector. An IC circuit shorted to voltage results in a loss of two cylinders within the specific cylinder group. For example, if the IC circuit for cylinder 1 is shorted to voltage, a loss of both IC circuits for cylinder 1 and cylinder 7 will occur.

Document ID# 575142
    2000 Cadillac Eldorado

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Secondary Ignition Diagnosis
    Circuit Description
    The Secondary Ignition Diagnosis tests the spark plugs, ignition coils, and ignition control modules. The PCM causes a spark to occur by grounding the IC circuit, which signals the ignition control module to trigger the ignition coil and fire the spark plug. The PCM controls the sequencing and timing of the spark based on the crankshaft and camshaft sensors input.

Diagnostic Aids
    When servicing the ignition system components, use the following recommended procedures:

• If a boot remains attached to a coil or spark plug, twist the boot prior to removal.

• Inspect the boot for a missing or damaged internal spring.

• Do not re-install any component that has visible signs of damage.

• Install the boots onto the coils (until bottomed out). Then install the assembly onto the spark plugs. If this is not possible due to space limitations, start the boots onto the spark plugs and then install the coil assembly as straight down onto the plugs as possible.

• Ensure the boots are installed right side up.

• Lift the module beauty cover at the end opposite the module to remove.

• Repair a torn perimeter seal with RTV sealant.

• Adhere to the torque specifications when installing the coil cassette to the cam cover and the ignition module to the coil cassette.

A suspected ignition system misfire may actually be a condition other than the secondary ignition system. Verify proper operation of the following items:

• Fuel System

- Fuel Injector Balance Test with Special Tool or Fuel Injector Balance Test with Tech 2 .

- Fuel Injector Coil Test - Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Between 10-35 Degrees C (50-95 Degrees F) .

- Fuel Injector Coil Test - Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Outside 10-35 Degrees C (50-95 Degrees F) .

• Engine Mechanical Test for base engine conditions that could produce an engine misfire. Refer to Base Engine Misfire Diagnosis in Engine Mechanical 4.6L.

If the misfire is not present while operating the engine with the J 36012 spark plug jumper wires in place, and the misfire is present while the boots are installed, replace the affected boot.

Test Description
    The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

An ignition coil, boots or spark plugs may misfire only when moisture is present. Although difficult to test on this engine, selectively wetting down parts of the system and monitoring for misfire, may isolate an intermittent condition. If moisture is present in the spark plug/ignition coil cavity of the cam cover, inspect the perimeter seal for damage. Repair tears in the perimeter seal with RTV sealant.

The J 26792 spark tester (ST 125) places a higher load on the secondary ignition than a normal spark plug.

Use the correct adaptor harness when connecting the Ignition Module Tester. Using an adaptor harness for a different engine application will result in incorrect tool operation.

The green Power LED should come on any time the ignition module tester is connected and the ignition switch is in the run position. This LED indicates that the J 43298 is receiving adequate power and ground to perform the test. The Test button is used as an LED check for the four red LEDs. To use this function, connect the tool, turn the ignition switch to run, then momentarily press the Test button. All four red LEDs should come on brightly. Then crank the vehicle. If the four red LEDs flash, this confirms proper operation of the primary ignition system (PCM, wiring, connections, and ICM). The Ignition Module Tester may get hot during actual testing. This is because it is attempting to simulate the load of the ignition coils primary windings.

If the LEDs flash, the module output drivers are operating. If one or more LEDs are inoperative, and no individual IC Circuit (351-358), or IC Circuit Group (1359 and/or 1360) DTCs are set, replace the module.

This is the circuit that is over loaded. Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by AJxtcman View Post
    This is the circuit that is over loaded. Not good.
    Exactly both the front and back packs. I will take a pic but the ground springs are getting so hot that they lose there spring. I have to take them off and restretch the springs to make ground. When I put it back together it runs perfect. So mabye the computer is overvolting the packs?

Grounds
    The front of the trans may have three seperate bolted grounds
    Thanks I spoke to another caddy mechanic and he says also that sometimes they bend pins on 3 or 4 different plugs going into tranny or just do not plug them in completly, Well anyway I have to put a radiator in the car also Leaking so I will pull out a few ather things also and try to get a good look. If not back to the tranny shop beacuse I really think it has to have something to do with it. Or mabye a bad computer?

I will go over the ground locations with you and the splice pack.
    100 # are in the engine compartment
    G100 is the Battery cable. this is the little lead that is bolted to the body

G101 is the bolt on the body near the air filter. It is for the front lamps

G102 is the bolt on the rear of the rear head near the temp sensor and is the main PCM GROUND****

G103 is a bolt on the front of the trans with two wire tapped together. THIS IS THE IGNITION MODULE/COIL GROUND*****

G105 is the large battery cable attached to the head near the battery

G107 is 1 or 2 of the bolts on the front of the TRANS. This is for the fans, ABS pump, AC compressor.******

G110 is located with G101. G110 is for the ABS module.

The main PCM ground circuit (G102 ) has a splice in the circuit. #S125. This is located under the throttle body in the main harness. It may have been damaged when the trans was removed. The main harness needs to be forced out of its location to access the bell housing bolts.

How many miles on this car?
    how many miles on the plug?
    What type of plugs? Brand? if they have been repladed

I have the engine out currently on a 00 Eldo. I traced out the G103 connection. G103 is the ground location for both coil packs. It is on the front of the trans on the left lower bolt. This bolt had one heavy gauge wire on one eyelet and two small wires tapped together on the other eyelet.

I have the engine out currently on a 00 Eldo. I traced out the G103 connection. G103 is the ground location for both coil packs. It is on the front of the trans on the left lower bolt. This bolt had one heavy gauge wire on one eyelet and two small wires tapped together on the other eyelet.
    Thanks for all of the info and for looking for me. I will have to take a look I do not remember any grounds going to the rear head but there was a hole that looked like a mount for a ground bolt on the head. I am going to go over it all this weekend or early next week. The Radiator went the same plastic POS that made me replace my 94 eldos radiator before i sold it. Anyway I ordered from that gm parts direct site first time using them and I have not gotten a tracking number in 2 days. So once I get the radiator out I will go over everything. BTW car just broke 100k mostly highway I changed all the plugs ac delcos. Fuel pump crank pos sensors and all the normal maintence. LOL well for caddy the crank pos sensors are normal. Thanks for all the help
    Here is a pic http://www.xpnt.com/page16.html

Well got the radiator in so its off to the tranny shop to check their work. BTW the big plug in the traction computer looks dirty think maybe take it off and check?

LS7505 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Hey Eldobroken,

Can you PM me your e-mail address? Thanks.

-LS7505

Guys this is getting crazy tranny place lays all grounds good. I took out PCM and it physically looks ok inside and out but who knows.
    But before I took it out new crap on the display saying something like Theft system malfunction car might not restart. Anyone know mabye PCM is shot. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.