Best oil for my geezer
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Best oil for my geezer in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey all my 94 eldo has about 123K on it, and currently i have 10w-40 in it because of its ...
    capn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado ETC

Best oil for my geezer

Hey all

my 94 eldo has about 123K on it, and currently i have 10w-40 in it because of its age, so what is the best 10w-40 oil to use in my aging caddy?

capn

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Re: Best oil for my geezer

ummm... in the owners manual for my '93 DeVille (and I realize I have the 4.9) but is says do NOT use 10W-40 in ANY new Cadillac... and the N* was in a few of the cars in '93..... it says how there are some passages in the enigne and the 10w-40 can't get to it.... I would persoanlly get that out of there ASAP....

Of course if someone that knows more about the N*, maybe can add to that, or maybe the N* will be fine with 10W-30... what does it say on the oil fill cap?

AFA oil brand, it mostly depends on the person, I personally use Mobil 1 Synthetic, but woudln't recomend that on an engine with higher miles that has had dino oil it's whole life.... in my Oldsmobile winter car (3800 V6) I just use whatever I decide, one time it was the 98cent/quart Advance Auto brand oil (made by Havoline actually) and the last time it was Mobil Drive Clean (with a quart of Lucas oil stablizer)

i put 10w-40 in because it stopped most of my oil consumtion problems, and leaks. and its about time to change it. also with 10w-30 i would be low oil in less than 1000miles

jam224 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Capn,

How bad were your leaks? I lose 1-2qts of 10W-30 every 1000 miles from my 97 DeVille and I am thinking of trying 10W-40 for the first time. Have you found there to be a big difference? Any disadvantages, like slow starts? Do you use 10W-40 in winter?

Any info would be of great help!

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jam224
    Capn,

How bad were your leaks? I lose 1-2qts of 10W-30 every 1000 miles from my 97 DeVille and I am thinking of trying 10W-40 for the first time. Have you found there to be a big difference? Any disadvantages, like slow starts? Do you use 10W-40 in winter?

Any info would be of great help!

Thanks.
    my engine has roughly 123K on it and when i first did my oil change i used 10w-30 and in less than 1000 miles my check oil message came on and there aret really any GUSHING leaks but i do have the normal leaks around the oil pan, but not bad. soon as i filled up with 10w-40 it stopped leaking as much (i was told to use 40 wieght from the cadillac mechanic if i have leaks) and its been 3000 miles since i have changed and the oil message came on when it should have in the first place, i see no disadvantages to 40 wieght. and i use 40 wieght all the time now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.