4T80E Modification
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 4T80E Modification in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have Shift Kits for 4T80E. They have been used for years without any DTC's or broken parts. The kit ...
    AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Talking 4T80E Modification

I have Shift Kits for 4T80E.

They have been used for years without any DTC's or broken parts.
    The kit can be installed in minutes in all 4T80E trans.
    The only hang up with that is no 2-3 shift improvement. 2-3 shift upgrade is done with the trans out.
    This will correct a known internal failure with the Accumulator Assembly.

This shift kit is designed for 4T80E transmissions. This kit allows the user 3 choices of firmness. This is accomplished by the given combinations of spacers used in conjunction with the new springs included in this kit. You will re-use your pan, and seperator plate gasket. please note their quality, they were designed to be re-used several times. I recommend replacing the serperator plate gasket. It is another known problem (only 2000)

PLEASE NOTE: All our test vehicles equipped with this maximum level chirped the tires during shifts, but this is not a guarantee that your vehicle will do the same as worn clutches, weak pumps, etc. could induce slippage. Increasing shift firmness will not cause damage or harm. The performance shift mode and engine/trans computer mods will continue to function as designed, although their will be an overall increase in shift firmness, even at light or part throttle.

NOT MY PCM PROGRAM, BUT 93 TO 95 AFTERMARKET PROMS.
    WE STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT IF USING AN AFTERMARKET PCM PROGRAM WITH TRANSMISSION SHIFT ENHANCEMENT THAT YOU ONLY USE THE MEDIUM LEVEL OR LESS FROM THIS SHIFT KIT. USING THE MAXIMUM LEVEL IN THIS KIT ALONG WITH ANY ELECTRONIC TRANSMISSION ENHANCEMENT WILL RESULT IN A BLOWN DRIVE CHAIN INSIDE THE TRANSMISSION. We personally enjoy using just the maximum level in this shift kit with no other shift enhancements.

Sparkyy and Sparkyy like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Re: 4T80E Modification

you may wnat to consider becoming a vendor if you're trying to sell this product. thanks
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/subscribe.html

I have every intention. I have not sold anything yet. I have the cart, but no horse. When the horse arrives I will sign up. I will need the extras that go along with being a vendor. Thanks

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Cut the pressure solenoid power wire and you've got all the tire chirping shifts you can handle. Cost: free.

msta293412 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 cadillac sts

Eldorado1, are you sure?...and I have a 2001 sts, does that apply?...also what does that do EXACTLY do?

ALL 4T80E trans.
    shorten shift time and firmness.
    $20

ejguillot is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Interesting. How hard are they to install (assuming an owner that can follow an FSM, but with no formal training)? Can you also supply the serperator plate gasket (at added cost)? I have a 2000 STS.

fubar569 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 82 fleetwood - 97 deville

Quote Originally Posted by msta293412 View Post
    Eldorado1, are you sure?...and I have a 2001 sts, does that apply?...also what does that do EXACTLY do?
    the 4T80-E is set up that if the solenoid shorts or otherwise fails, it defaults to maximum line pressure in order to save the transmission. imagine if it shorted and went to zero line pressure...yep that'd be bad...

all this mod involves is installing a switch in line with the ground wire for the pressure control solenoid...

when you break the ground wire, it cuts the power and defaults the trans to max pressure...thats it...nothing else...

however i'd imagine that i wouldnt try this on a transmission that isnt 100% healthy as it may cause other parts to exhibit weakness and/or fail like the pump, etc...also places ALOT more stress on other driveline components...

eldorado1 has a version of this mod on his fiero. he built a paddleshift TCM for his 4T80-E with the power going to that solenoid tied to throttle position. at WOT, the solenoid effectively sees 0 power, so at WOT he has max pressure, and it is linear in between...least thats how i understood it...very trick setup...

msta293412 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 cadillac sts

Thanks for answering FUBAR( are you military?), Anyways, eldo1, is pretty slick, I like that idea. If I cut the wire, could I splice it back together if something goes wrong or I dont like it? By the way my trans is 110%, only 40,000 miles on this STS (babied too) Any response would be appreciated.

fubar569 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 82 fleetwood - 97 deville

Quote Originally Posted by msta293412 View Post
    Thanks for answering FUBAR( are you military?), Anyways, eldo1, is pretty slick, I like that idea. If I cut the wire, could I splice it back together if something goes wrong or I dont like it? By the way my trans is 110%, only 40,000 miles on this STS (babied too) Any response would be appreciated.
    nah i got my name from the movie Tango & Cash...when they taped the grenade in the guys mouth...awesome flick...

i prefer the switch in the passenger compartment method (run wires from the connector up into a switch under/around the dash)...that way if you don't like it, flick the switch back on and forget about it...but yes it is 100% reversible...and i dont believe you'd have an issue...but as always mod at your own risk!

Cut the wire and the trans will fail!
    Cut the wire and the PCM will do the following.
    • The PCM does not illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL).
    • SERVICE TRANSMISSION displays on the driver information center (DIC).
    • The PCM commands maximum line pressure.
    • The PCM freezes transmission adapt functions.
    • The PCM records the operating conditions when the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met. The PCM stores this information as Failure Records.
    • The PCM stores DTC P0748 in PCM history.

The PCM will be in reduced torque mode

I would say about 4 to 5 hours no hoist.
    With a hoist about 1 hour if all the parts in the trans are ok. If you find two known problems the first will take about 20 minutes to fix and the second part will need to be replaced.

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by AJxtcman View Post
    The PCM will be in reduced torque mode
    In my 94 service manual, it says "Torque Management will be disabled"

Hmm
    I will start a new thread

ejguillot is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by AJxtcman View Post
    I would say about 4 to 5 hours no hoist.
    With a hoist about 1 hour if all the parts in the trans are ok. If you find two known problems the first will take about 20 minutes to fix and the second part will need to be replaced.
    That's not so bad. What are the 2 known problems, and can you tell me how expensive the second part would be?

102K on the transmission, I'm thinking that (never mind the lifetime fluid thing) this would be a good time to drop the pan, do a fluid and filter swap, and install the shift kit too. Does your kit come with instructions?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.