put on magnaflow mufflers still quiet?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, put on magnaflow mufflers still quiet? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; well I finally put down the cash for for some magnaflow mufflers and had them put on . Leave the ...
    smooththg6969 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville SLS( parts) ,98 sts

put on magnaflow mufflers still quiet?

well I finally put down the cash for for some magnaflow mufflers and had them put on . Leave the shop and im like WTF Its still quiet I do notice a very low purr but i expected it to be louder. maybe its the clogged cat that they told me I have. My question is when I get the cat changed Should I remove the resonator or will just getting the cat fixed make it louder?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: put on magnaflow mufflers still quiet?

What Cadillac ? That question drives the whole answer....The second "front" single thing is the muffler. The back 2 things are resonators. You have just upgraded to 3 mufflers. Do you have a FSM ? Look up the exhaust system specs and find out what's what. An aftermarket cat should run $200 - $300, installed, for a legal "high performance" model. What makes you think the OEM is clogged? Any cat codes ? Lousy gas mileage ? You could eliminate the primary muffler, but may find things a bit noisy and resonant afterwards. Just thoughts from past experiences.......

fubar569 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 82 fleetwood - 97 deville

gut them all...no cat, resonator, and no mufflers...

think LS1 with an exhaust that has a viscious bark...

dont ask how i know this is a good thing

jadcock is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 2001 STS

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    What Cadillac ? That question drives the whole answer....The second "front" single thing is the muffler. The back 2 things are resonators. You have just upgraded to 3 mufflers.
    It's usually referred to the other way. The first chamber, right behind the cat, is very small, and is a resonator. The two mufflers are mounted aft of the "rear axle", and are what the original poster changed out.

A clogged converter could silence the exhaust, sure. But I would get a second opinion on whether or not the cat is really clogged.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

When I asked the same complaint ,they told me to get rid of the cat,mufflers and changing the exhaust tips to a louder ones .
    I don't think by cancelling the resonator itself would work

Shaggy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS

Louder Tips?

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Aftermarket exhaust tips resound louder to OEM ones .My '03 lade was also like that .Having installed the chrome tips ,it would growl much harder to my ears

I don't think you'd see that much volume change from the tips alone. Removing the resonator will certainly have more of an effect than changing the tips will.

smooththg6969 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville SLS( parts) ,98 sts

sorry for taking so long to get back on this the car is a 99 seville sls. Well I went and had the resonator removed and that made a big difference Im loving it. Yes there is a drone in the system but I can live with it sounds like a modded 350z but with a deeper rumble . yeah baby I can set off car alarms lol i like it but i got the resonator in the trunk just in case. I got a chance to drive my old car today (93 cprice cop car tru duals no cat 2 chamber flowmasters) and its still louder. got back in the caddy listened to the drone and its liveable compaired to the caprice which makes me sick sometimes.

Shaggy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS

I personally dislike a drone in an exhaust system. When I am on the highway for 4 hours at a time, this gets extremely tiresome. I do however like a deep loud exhaust note on hard acceleration. The problem is how to have both.

I have done exhausts on many many many vehicles over the years, and the exhaust note is only changed by tips if they have a baffle in them. 99% of the time they are strictly cosmetic.

My 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    I personally dislike a drone in an exhaust system. When I am on the highway for 4 hours at a time, this gets extremely tiresome. I do however like a deep loud exhaust note on hard acceleration. The problem is how to have both.
    No problem, you just have to have a thoroughly designed and engineered system (Corsa) that usually costs much more than just a set of mufflers. As with most things in life, you get what you pay for. Nothing wrong at all with putting on a set of mufflers, if you can life with the tradeoffs, even if they may be slight.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.