What does it take to swap intake manifolds?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, What does it take to swap intake manifolds? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I want to run a holley on a 94 northstar, and have been told I need either a) a 95+ ...
    eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

What does it take to swap intake manifolds?

I want to run a holley on a 94 northstar, and have been told I need either a) a 95+ engine, or b) to swap the complete intake from a 95+ onto my 94. What does an intake swap take?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dloch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: What does it take to swap intake manifolds?

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Quote Originally Posted by eldorado1
    I want to run a holley on a 94 northstar, and have been told I need either a) a 95+ engine, or b) to swap the complete intake from a 95+ onto my 94. What does an intake swap take?
    The cylinder heads on a 93 and 94 engine only have 2 intake bolts per head (4 total for the intake manifold - 2 per side) That is because the 93/94 engines used the large, plenum style intake manifold with the silver top cover being the actual top of the intake manifold enclosure with the plastic tuning tubes, fuel rail, injectors, etc. all inside the box. The whole intake assembly attached to the cylinder heads with two bolts per side and there were phenolic spacer plates between the intake and the cylinder heads.

The 95 and later Northstars used the one piece injection molded plastic intake manifold that has 5 intake bolts per side. 2 of the bolts are in the same location as the 2 bolts for the 93/94 cylinder heads. There are an additional 3 bolt holes per side on the 95 cylinder heads....and there are no phenolic spacer plates nor provisions for EGR introduction into the ports in the 95 cylinder heads like there were on the 93/94 heads.

I think what you meant to say in your post was that you need to put 95 or later CYLINDER HEADS on your 94 in order to use the holley intake manifold that CHRFAB sells.....

The best person to ask is Alan Johnson at CHRFAB.... Possibly you can drill and tap the 94 cylinder heads for the extra bolt holes for the Holley manifold.

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Well I was told the intake manifold from the 95+ engines would work on the 94, but I would need to either swap heads or drill extra holes... I just wanted to see how much work it would be... Sounds like I need a 95+ engine then... Anybody want to trade me?

dloch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by bbob
    The cylinder heads on a 93 and 94 engine only have 2 intake bolts per head (4 total for the intake manifold - 2 per side) That is because the 93/94 engines used the large, plenum style intake manifold with the silver top cover being the actual top of the intake manifold enclosure with the plastic tuning tubes, fuel rail, injectors, etc. all inside the box. The whole intake assembly attached to the cylinder heads with two bolts per side and there were phenolic spacer plates between the intake and the cylinder heads.

The 95 and later Northstars used the one piece injection molded plastic intake manifold that has 5 intake bolts per side. 2 of the bolts are in the same location as the 2 bolts for the 93/94 cylinder heads. There are an additional 3 bolt holes per side on the 95 cylinder heads....and there are no phenolic spacer plates nor provisions for EGR introduction into the ports in the 95 cylinder heads like there were on the 93/94 heads.

I think what you meant to say in your post was that you need to put 95 or later CYLINDER HEADS on your 94 in order to use the holley intake manifold that CHRFAB sells.....

The best person to ask is Alan Johnson at CHRFAB.... Possibly you can drill and tap the 94 cylinder heads for the extra bolt holes for the Holley manifold.

Are the heads the same between 93 to 99 other than the extra intake bolt holes?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.