GM EOS Asst Lube
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, GM EOS Asst Lube in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; OK, I've read through all the oil posts - but forgot which one mentioned GM Engine oil supplement vs engine ...
    cadillacmike68 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

GM EOS Asst Lube

OK, I've read through all the oil posts - but forgot which one mentioned GM Engine oil supplement vs engine oil supplement - Assembly lube.

Anyway I went to my local dealer and bought 3 pints of "E.O.S. Assembly Lubricant", part # 1052367. Gr 8.800.

This stuff has a statement on the back": GM recommends E.O.S. Assembly Lubricant only for the specific purposes listed above. GM Does not recommend the use of this or any product as an additive to engine oil".

The specific purpose listed above is basically where to put it when assembling an engine.

So.... is this a GM disclaimer to keep the corporate lawyers and EPA nazis happy or should I really not be using this stuff in my Fleetwood or ElDorado (or my 68 DeVille Conv for that matter)???

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Patrick7997 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 ESC, 2004 Escalade, 2007 HD Road King Classic

Re: GM EOS Asst Lube

I don't think it can hurt....

And I seem to recall there are people on various boards who use it with every oil change....

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

It has a much heavier concentration of ZDDP which is not healthy for CATs. That is the reason that the EPA has reduced the ZDDP levels in the latest oils (SM I think). The heavier concentration is why it is used for engine assembly and new cam break in. For the cost of that stuff, you'd do just as well using 10W40 Rotella, Delvac. They are a diesel oil and have higher ZDDP. I'd especially use the diesel oils in the '68.

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cadillacmike68 View Post
    is this a GM disclaimer to keep the corporate lawyers and EPA nazis happy
    a little bit of column A, and a little bit of column B....

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

What is wrong with 5w 30?

Too thin for my liking. 3 of the 4 cars in my stable spec 5W30, but I stick with 10W30. My understanding is that GM went to 5W30 to satisfy the tree huggers because it theoretically gives a tad better mileage. I doubt you or I could see the difference. If GM had their own way, I suspect they would have stuck with 10W30. Don't get me wrong. Nothing wrong with 5W30 and using it will not cause any harm or GM would never have recommended it. Just my personal preference and feelings and a dash of what I learned from the old Guru. That said, I would definitely not use it on the '68.

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Then 0W20 is not good.
    Why do some manufacturers run 0W20

Even the newest 2005 manuals state that 5W-30 is the recommended oil weight, but if the temp is 0F or higher 10W-30 is approved. 10W-40 is NOT recommended for the 95, 2000, or 2005 (nor is 20W-50). Since it never gets that cold here in Tampa, (it never really dips below 30F), I'm set with 10W-30. The 1995 manual even states that if its 40F or higher straight 30 (as long as its API SG or whatever). 40F or warmer is most of the year here.

Where can i find that Rotela oil? in the big auto parts stores or do i have to hunt for it.

I'd rather use Exxon 10W-30 superflow and 1 pint of EOS per oil change. probably no cost differential. Maybe throw in a half quart of 20W-50 to thicken things up a bit since it does have 188,000 miles.

jadcock is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 2001 STS

The latest 5W-20 oils are GREAT oils. They are very shear-stable. Remember that a normal 5W-30 or 10W-30 will shear down to a 20W oil anyway within a few thousand miles (probably more on our cars with our large sumps). So that 10W-30 you put in is really pretty close to a 20W oil by the end of your OCI anyway. Ford and Chrysler and Honda have largely switched over to 5W-20, and Ford has retrospecified that oil to a lot (but NOT all) of its previous models, which sort of contradicts the CAFE argument to me. Past models don't have any impact on an automaker's current CAFE number.

Now that we have replaced our '97 SLS with our '01 STS, both cars in the garage recommend 5W-30. The ONLY reason I use 10W-30 in them is because I like the Shell Rotella T oils, and they're available, primarily, in two multi-vis weights (10W-30 and 15W-40). I'm not comfortable running a 15W-40 where a 5W-30 is called for, but I'll certainly run a 10W-30, and I do.

cadillacmike68, I buy my Shell Rotella T at Wal-Mart. They have both the 10W-30 and 15W-40 in 1 gallon jugs (perfect for a Northstar oil change). I DID use 15W-40 in my '97 SLS right before I shipped it to my brother. With the flat tappets in that engine plus the increased clearances (almost 160k miles), the 15W-40 actually ran GREAT in that engine...it seemed quieter and smoother. My brother lives in Tucson, AZ, so I know the temperatures there will never get too cold for the 15W-40. Any of those diesel oils (Wal-Mart sells the Shell Rotella T and the Mobil Delvac) are an incredible value, are rated SM for gasoline engine use, and the heavier weight of the 15W-40 will go perfect in your older and/or higher mileage vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by AJxtcman View Post
    Then 0W20 is not good.
    Why do some manufacturers run 0W20
    No, I'm not saying that. Old habits die hard. I'm just more comfortable with 10W30, that's all. Don't want to start another oil war here.

Well, I guess I'll have to keep looking because I'm not a fan of wally mart ;-)

clarkz71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Mercedes 400E / 1995 Eldorado/ 2006 Yamaha R1 LE

I got 10/30 Rotella at O'Reilly's. Anyplace that has Rotella 15/40 can order the 10/30 if they don't stock it.

krimson_cardnal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 96DeVille

Will my running rotella kill the DeVille's cat?

Part of EPA concerns, or is it more hog-wash - I'm still out on the TopTier stuff, but here we have additive being used in oils that directly relate to; performance - service - environment - economy.

I use Rotella to top off between changes. I'm not sure why, but that's how that goes. Valvoline does the changes. K_C

MonzaRacer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

No the Rotella will not hurt your cats if your engine is not burning oil.
    As for the 0W oils if they are synthetics I have no problems with them in fresher engines.
    On wider tolerance engines wont like the ultra light weight oils.
    I build engines and if I set them up super tight I can condone them but like my truck the crank speced out on the high limit and I have used 5W40 synthetic Kendal after breakin since I installed it in July of 05.
    Since I dont have access to getting a good deal (switched jobs) I will probably switch to the 5W40 Rotella synthetic now.
    Synthetics have me convinced but then the kid who drove a 2.5 powered 82 Camaro that I had put new rods,mains and oil pump in before he bought it at dealer I worked for and the pump drive broke (he actually wanted the 84 5.0 we had but daddy said no), thinking if it blw up my boss would make him great deal on the 5.0 he drove it 25 miles back to dealership in first and second to try and blow it up and parked it.
    I pulled pan again and the bearings look perfect but we put in more bearings, new pump,pickup and drive and he got it back, much to his dismay.
    this was one of the first cars I worked on at the dealership and we had no oil house and local NAPA was closed so it got the 5 qts of Rotella 15W40 I had to change my oil in my 66 galaxy,,,that sold me on Rotella.
    If you like it run it.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

GM EOS is available for about $6/16 oz. (of course, + shipping) from www.paceperformance.com , a central Ohio GM dealer which has quite a catalog and decent prices. Also decent prices on AC Delco spark plugs. (A month or so ago, someone in an oil thread said that EOS has just been re-labeled to get GM off the hook for "recommending" EOS as an (duh!) oil supplement. Give GM a few weeks and it will be labeled
    GMAL.....GM Assembly Lube....)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.