which hose does the bars leak go.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, which hose does the bars leak go. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Ok last night I cleaned the throttle body and the phenolic plates, tonight I'm changing the coolant. Does it matter ...
    jgr7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

which hose does the bars leak go.

Ok last night I cleaned the throttle body and the phenolic plates, tonight I'm changing the coolant. Does it matter which hose I put the Bars leak in? Top or bottom of tank.
    94 Eldorado
    Jeff

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bob2231 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: which hose does the bars leak go.

Quote Originally Posted by jgr7
    Ok last night I cleaned the throttle body and the phenolic plates, tonight I'm changing the coolant. Does it matter which hose I put the Bars leak in? Top or bottom of tank.
    94 Eldorado
    Jeff
    I'd say the top hose.
    Bob

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

94 Eldorado
    Jeff
    uhh...radiator tanks are on the ends....right and left....either the top or bottom hose is fine though....LOL...just don't put it into the pressurized surge tank.

OlManRivah is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

BB, I understand that it goes in the rad hose, but why? If the coolant circulates via the purge tank, it would seem the tablets or "Gold Seal" would make it thru the system. Would you be so kind as to explain for us...Tx.

Ok Thanks bbob, two more quick questions, is there a drain on the block as well as the radiator? and the Bars leaks that I bought is called powder aluminum raditor stop leak, its about the size of a roll of quarters is this the same as the bars leak gold that I see you guys posting about?

Thanks Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by OlManRivah
    BB, I understand that it goes in the rad hose, but why? If the coolant circulates via the purge tank, it would seem the tablets or "Gold Seal" would make it thru the system. Would you be so kind as to explain for us...Tx.
    There are several detailed explainations if you search for "coolant supplement" in the search feature....

The pressurized surge tank is designed to deliberately have very little flow thru it so as to deareate the coolant. That is it's main function along with being the high spot in the system and constantly pressurizing the water pump inlet. There is only a small, dedicated flow path thru the pressurized surge tank. If you look at it there is only one small hose leading into it, the vapor vent line. There is a large line leading from it directly to the water pump so as to pressurize the water pump inlet to prevent cavitation. Very little flow but a large constant pressure source. Putting the coolant supplement into the surge tank will not disperse it thru the system due to the low flow and , due to the low flow, the sudden influx of the supplement could clog the hose to the water pump causing cavitation and overflow of the surge tank. The bulk flow path of the coolant is thru the engine and thru the radiator. The majority of the flow from the water pump is bypassed back thru the engine in a closed loop flow arrangement bypassing the radiator. The flow to the rad is controlled by the inlet side thermostat so when the stat opens there is a large flow of coolant to disperse the supplement thru the system where it is needed.

The supplement does not dissolve in the coolant. It just disperses.... the small fibers are dispersed and held in suspension in the coolant...so...until it disperses it can lay there and clot in the hose from the surge tank to the water pump due to lack of flow.

The supplement works by collecting and clotting in a leak. The unique feature of the BarsLeaks supplement/sealer is that it is made of ground up ginger root. The ginger root shrinks when wetted and expands when it drys...so...the fibers that clot in a leak see air on the atmospheric side of the leak and the fibers on that side dry and expand, sealing the leak. This is why it will not clog heater cores as there is no air to dry the fibers and cause them to expand.

Ok the aluminum powder is not the same stuff as the Barsleak gold seal so I took it back and had to end up going to Wal-Mart to find the right stuff. I think I will wait to change the coolant and do a thermostat also maybe this weekend. 94 Eldorado

Jeff

Ok Thanks bbob, two more quick questions, is there a drain on the block as well as the radiator? and the Bars leaks that I bought is called powder aluminum raditor stop leak, its about the size of a roll of quarters is this the same as the bars leak gold that I see you guys posting about?

Thanks Jeff
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Powdered aluminum radiator stop leak is NOT the same as BarsLeaks "golden seal" powder. Do NOT use the powdered aluminum crap. Find the BarsLeaks "golden seal" powder . It is in a clear tube. And it is a bronze or gold colored powder. If in doubt....go to any GM dealer and get 6 pellets of the GM Coolant Supplement to be SURE that you have the correct stuff.

Dubya is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

what would we do without BB??

><

we'd be lost......im serious!

OlManRivah is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Never know why we can't use the Purge Tank....lol!

Thanks BB.......Being an Ex-Engineer it's a fault I have....knowing why.....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.