Engine Power Circuit?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Engine Power Circuit? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I would appreciate some guidance on what I should be looking for, this is a great forum and used the ...
    rdmsyr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS

Question Engine Power Circuit?

I would appreciate some guidance on what I should be looking for, this is a great forum and used the tips from the experts and have the site book marked for quick reference. I have a 97 STS 110k miles, no codes, all maintenance done, EGR, Throttle body, tune up etc. The car is very dependable and runs fine except I've noticed that the on throttle power seems weak. The reason I notice this is when my friends are with me (extra weight) the car has increased on throttle power and a noticable difference in the engine's power output. What sensor or sensors should I look at? I would like the car to run like that all the time.
    Thanks In advanced!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jholland is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '97 Seville '76 Eldorado

Re: Engine Power Circuit?

Have you changed the fuel filter?

Mountie is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '93 STS (sold), now looking for a CTS Wagon soon!!

Quote Originally Posted by jholland View Post
    Have you changed the fuel filter?
    Where is the fuel filter? I replaced nearly everything under my hood when I replaced my North*, but I can't remember replacing that.

'93 STS. Silly me.

Thanks for the reply JHolland,
    but I don't think its the fuel filter, she pulls good all the way to redline during WOT.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

All sensors are monitored and would (should) set a DTC if one failed. If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the car seems to have MORE power with added weight and LESS power without it? That seems to defy logic. I wonder if maybe it is just your perception?

Thanks Ranger -
    Yes you are correct in your statement. The car has more power when weight is added when compared to just me in the car. I know it sounds strange, but I've been noticing this for some time. I'm thinking maybe the MAP sensor is on the fringe or dirty.

MonzaRacer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

We generally you going to be into the throttle more and longer and working the engien differently loaded over unloaded. Does it seem anemic if you manually shift it ( ie winder up in first, then second ,thne 3rd)?
    Your also going to get higher shift points under heavier loads which may give you a seat of the pants false sense of more power.
    Also if you had engine problems or it has a lot of miles get a good diag tech to double check your cats as you may have them getting clogged up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.