93 Eldo Overheats New Thermostat Didn't help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 93 Eldo Overheats New Thermostat Didn't help in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Looking for some help here. I have a 93 Eldo, 146,000 miles on her. Up until lately I have never ...
    Cypher66 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Talking 93 Eldo Overheats New Thermostat Didn't help

Looking for some help here. I have a 93 Eldo, 146,000 miles on her. Up until lately I have never had any problems. She over heated on a long drive and I found a pin hole in the water pump housing. I replaced the housing which is now made out of aluminum. After the first fill and flush I noticed it ran alot hotter so I changed out the thermostat with a AC Delco 180 degree. This seemed to fix the problem until I took her out on the road and ran it up to 75 for about 10 miles. It shoots up to 230 and then back down the 217. It use to stay at 199, the water pump was replaced about two months ago but I have my doubts.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: 93 Eldo Overheats New Thermostat Didn't help

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher66
    Looking for some help here. I have a 93 Eldo, 146,000 miles on her. Up until lately I have never had any problems. She over heated on a long drive and I found a pin hole in the water pump housing. I replaced the housing which is now made out of aluminum. After the first fill and flush I noticed it ran alot hotter so I changed out the thermostat with a AC Delco 180 degree. This seemed to fix the problem until I took her out on the road and ran it up to 75 for about 10 miles. It shoots up to 230 and then back down the 217. It use to stay at 199, the water pump was replaced about two months ago but I have my doubts.

Any help would be appreciated.
    230 isn't overheating.....was there any sign of steam or overflow from the cooling system??

Possibly there is an airpocket in the water pump that is not getting purged. Look at the upper radiator hose at the engine connection to the water crossover. Next to it is a small, 3/8 hose that is attached to a nipple...that is actually a hollow bolt that screws into the water crossover immediately above the water pump. Take the 3/8 hose off when the engine is cold. Start the engine momentarily and watch the hollow bolt/nipple on the water crossover casting. Coolant should pee out the nipple in a steady stream. If not , determine why....remove the bolt and look for plugging or something. If the coolant streams out the bolt/nipple then check the hose by blowing into it to make sure that it is clear and can vent to the pressurized surge tank. You should be able to blow thru it with the pressure cap off and hear the air entering the surge tank.

Is the system full of fresh 50/50 coolant/distilled water?? Were the GM coolant supplement pellets / Barsleaks "golden seal" powder installed in the sytem?? If so, was it put into the surge tank or the radiator hose?? The hose is the only place to install it....it will not work and can cause problems if installed in the surge tank.

The 93/94/95 engines had the green silicated conventional coolant from the factory. It needed to be replaced every 2-3 years/24/35K miles to keep the corrosion inhibitors up to strength. If this hasn't been done the engine/head gaskets could have been damaged internally from corrosion due to the depleted coolant. Was the coolant system serviced regularily???

Did you check the water pump drive belt carefully and the water pump drive belt tensioner for freedom of motion and proper tensioning?? A weak tensioner and/or failing water pump drive belt will cause overheating at higher engine speeds. Exercise the tensioner and lube the pivot point to make sure it is tensioning the belt correctly. If it is the original water pump drive belt then it should be replaced as it is used at at this point due to miles and age anyway.

Cypher66 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The entire system was replaced by a GM shop. Radiator, resevoir etc. I have not added the pellets, didn't know. I Will have to pick some up from the local parts warehouse.

It is filled with the GM Dex Cool antifreeze, a 50/50 mix with distilled water. I will check the nipple in the am to see if it is clogged. I have always had the vehicle maintain, (oil, trans, radiator etc).

After sittiing idle for about 20 minutes the engine reaches 230 and fluid begin to escape from the resevior.

semiauto is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Check the AC compressor fuse up in the engine compartment. Trust me, my 93 was running unusually hot until I noticed both this fuse blown. Replaced it and the fans came on sooner. I also added manual control so I can run both fans on high when stuck in traffic.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher66
    The entire system was replaced by a GM shop. Radiator, resevoir etc. I have not added the pellets, didn't know. I Will have to pick some up from the local parts warehouse.

It is filled with the GM Dex Cool antifreeze, a 50/50 mix with distilled water. I will check the nipple in the am to see if it is clogged. I have always had the vehicle maintain, (oil, trans, radiator etc).

After sittiing idle for about 20 minutes the engine reaches 230 and fluid begin to escape from the resevior.
    DexCool is fine in your engine....just frequently replace it as the long life feature is moot in that engine once it was run with the green silicated coolant. The engine is plated with silicates inside so the DexCool long life feature (which is what it is for....) will not be reliable. Replace it every 2 years as the green stuff.

DexCool and the green coolant are fundamentally the same thing....ethylene glycol....so they both cool the same.

Check the concentration of the coolant....don't trust what you were told....many times overheating symptoms are traced to a weak coolant solution.

Definitely check the vapor vent line to make sure that the water pump is venting correctly.

Double check to see if the fans are running. Checking the fuses as described is a good idea. If the fans are running then the system should be in control. There is really no need for a manaul override as the sytem will control the fans off of the AC demand as well as the engine temp...no need at all to override or try and second guess the control point.

The GM coolant supplement is just a sealer to guard against any nuisance leaks in the system...it won't affect the cooling performance per se unless a persistent seepage is causing it to be low. It is a good idea to run the sealer in the system as insurance. Do NOT install it into the surge tank. Put the material into a radiator hose so that it can be dispersed thru the system.

Double check the pressure cap to make sure that it is operating correctly. There are different design radiator caps so make sure you get the correct one. If the cap is not working and not allowing the system to pressurize then it will exhibit premature or "false" boiling....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.