N* Oil Cooler And/or Tranny Cooler
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, N* Oil Cooler And/or Tranny Cooler in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; 1994 N* 4.6 L. Does it have an Oil Cooler? Location? What provides the cooling? I know the 4T80E transmission ...
    C170B is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '64 Cpe Deville, '94 Concour,2012 Prius C, 2010 RAM 1500 red

N* Oil Cooler And/or Tranny Cooler

1994 N* 4.6 L.

Does it have an Oil Cooler? Location? What provides the cooling?

I know the 4T80E transmission is just about bullet proof . I have 175K and it has never missed a shift. The normals trans cooler lines route through the coolant radiator. Has anyone any knowlege of adding an aux trans cooler for the N*. (i.e. Extended mountain driving at high speed) ?

regards

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Re: N* Oil Cooler And/or Tranny Cooler

LOL They're only bullet proof if it's not mine. I have the ONE single unit that failed very prematurely. Just my luck I guess.

I asked my trans guy about cooling and he told me that he felt they were very adequately cooled. He also said he's never seen one with heat related damage.

Does that help?
    Ownership:
    91 d'Elegance 350
    02 DTS
    01 DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

lisekpl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

I concur, don't fix what's not broke. I was also told that even for heavy duty applications, the cooling is sufficient.

JMWarren is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Some of the 90's devilles had a towing package that included an auxiliary trans cooler if I'm not mistaken. You might be able to adapt this part to work on your car...

Eldobroken is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by codewize View Post
    LOL They're only bullet proof if it's not mine. I have the ONE single unit that failed very prematurely. Just my luck I guess.

I asked my trans guy about cooling and he told me that he felt they were very adequately cooled. He also said he's never seen one with heat related damage.

Does that help?
    LOL mine too at 80k and it was maintained. The internal coupler that holds the shaft broke and wasted every seal i put in. $3500 later its great. Well the tranny is

Mountie is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '93 STS (sold), now looking for a CTS Wagon soon!!

Quote Originally Posted by C170B View Post
    1994 N* 4.6 L.

Does it have an Oil Cooler? Location? What provides the cooling?

I know the 4T80E transmission is just about bullet proof . I have 175K and it has never missed a shift. The normals trans cooler lines route through the coolant radiator. Has anyone any knowlege of adding an aux trans cooler for the N*. (i.e. Extended mountain driving at high speed) ?

regards
    I replaced my oil cooler with a cooler 3 times the capacity, as the OEM. The stock oil cooler is a joke. I got the same brand so it would mount at the same location. As I am sitting here, I can't remember the brand but it is common. I can say, it has a rounded edge, and about an inch wider.

I changed my oil today & it took 8 quarts, due to the larger oil cooler.

( note)..... Be sure to fill the oil filter with oil before installing to avoid that lag in oil pressure at the first start. The filter will take 3/4 of a quart.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.