Broken Timeserts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Broken Timeserts in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; So I put everything back together after time serting the block, bolted one head down flawlessly and went to the ...
    lisekpl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

Broken Timeserts

So I put everything back together after time serting the block, bolted one head down flawlessly and went to the next head. In the first phase of bolting down the bolts( 22lbs + 60 degress), 3 head bolts tore out the timeserts completely out of their place, WTF. My only guess is that the whole was somehow tapped incorrectly, but anyways, I already sold my timesert kit and do not plan on getting the big sert. I am going to extend the 3 bolts by about 2cm so I can use the stock threads at the bottom of the block to lock them in. What do you guys think, assuming that the other 7 inserts hold, will the 3 noninserted ones decrease the integerity or not?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Broken Timeserts

Yes. I am sure the integrety will be compromised. I doubt it will hold. I'd big sert it or get another motor. 2 cm is not much thread and I would suspect you will just rip them out when you torque them. Besides the parent metal might be bad and caused the failure of the Timesert.

misfit6794 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT

My mechanic is convinced that most american manufacturers cadillac included, dont get the best quality metals, especially aluminum. It sounds like you got an even weaker block than normal. I've never heard of the timesert coming out, kinda makes you think how the stock headbolt didnt even stand a chance. I would try to find a new block, or used block, and get my timesert kit back,then start all over. Theres not really a point in finishing off the motor, because im pretty sure the headbolts will back themselves out shortly after you start it.

MonzaRacer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Well the big problem is that some manufacterers dont nessasarily have the lates and greatest technology.
    My brother works on Crane base here in Southern Indiana and his job is NDT, Non-Destructive testing ,basicly he does Xray/CT scanning and the local GM foundry at Bedford Indiana that makes transmission cases and they also started making Hyperutectic pistons but they where having difficulties with the silcon droping out of suspension and causing faults and voids and they asked my brother and his building if the NDT CT scanning would be productive to find the silicon voids contaminating the castings. Turns out CT scanning wouldnt find the faults so my brother asked how they do thier casting and turns out they are still using the antquated techniques that made cases. He got them in contact with a company that could automate the monitoring of the flows and it turns out the problem is cooling points in the channels causing the silicone to drop out of solution then getting into the castings.
    The big reason they needed to rule out bad castings is that the harder "hyper-tech" alloys eats up tooling a expotentially greater rate so NOT machining it saved more money.
    Go figure the foundry has been up and running and HOT for decades continuosly. And come to find out my buddy got a job thier and he helps maintain the computerized monitoring and assess production problems. The simple fix wasnt a $10 million CT scanner but a simple $10k temp/flow monitoring system.
    also remeber that in a production of millions of blocks thier may be a few with small flaws that just happen to go through bolt holes.
    The big sert might be the way to go but you need to order a small spot check kit and make sure thier isnt a crack in/near that bolt hole.also the process nededs care taken to not mess up as its as easy to mess up at the beggining as the middle or end especially if it is a tedious task.
    Good Luck
    Lee

lisekpl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

Thanks Lee, I already got the bigserts and did all of the holes. I just hope everything holds. Overall, to anyone doing the timerserts, make sure you drill and tap very carefully and as the instructions say, drill and tap in-and-out multiple times. Now, it's just a matter of putting the cradle back into the car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.