Chevron Delo 10W-30
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Chevron Delo 10W-30 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; First off, this is not meant to be an oil thread, please don't turn it into one! I simply have ...
    jadcock is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 2001 STS

Chevron Delo 10W-30

First off, this is not meant to be an oil thread, please don't turn it into one! I simply have three questions about this one particular product.

1) You guys with flat tappet Northstars (1999 and prior) would like this oil, being an SL, due to having more ZDDP, right? (Clark, I know, you like ZDDP!)

2) This oil would still be totally appropriate for my 2001 engine, even though it's a roller tappet Northstar, because it is SL rated, right?

3) I've never seen Delo in anything other than 15W-40, but I know it's sold in 10W-30. Where do you guys buy it in that weight if you do buy it in that weight? How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Chevron Delo 10W-30

2) Yes.
    3) It is pretty hard to find, but someone in a recent oil thread said they found some, though I am not sure where. Murrays comes to mind, but I would not swear to it.

Patrick7997 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 ESC, 2004 Escalade, 2007 HD Road King Classic

I've looked high and low for that 10/30, and never found it...

I use the 15/40 variation and it's fine....

Although what I HAVE found is a 5w40 Synthetic variation of Rotella... I've seen that around... that could be an interesting alternative....

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

^^ I use the 5W40 Rotella T.

Good stuff.

I saw the Rotella T in 5W-40 at Wal-Mart. But when looking at the spec sheet, the viscosity of that oil is alarmingly high compared with 10W-30 oils. The price was pretty fair for a full synthetic oil, about $4/qt.

I'd still like to find the 10W-30 Delo 400. The viscosity on that oil is higher even than many of the high mileage SL oils, which are already pretty thick compared with the "standard" SM oils out today.

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jadcock View Post
    I saw the Rotella T in 5W-40 at Wal-Mart. But when looking at the spec sheet, the viscosity of that oil is alarmingly high compared with 10W-30 oils.
    Link for both?

On manufacturer's websites.

Just wanted to follow up that I found Shell Rotella T in 10W-30 at my...local Wal-Mart. I scoured the shelves before and never found it. Still didn't see it yesterday. But for whatever reason, I started looking at the shelf price tags and noticed that the tag for the 30W Rotella actually said 10W-30 Rotella. Bingo...I had a SKU, so I knew they at least had it in their system. I asked the girl to check in the back and they had a whole pallet of it back there. None on the shelves...

It was a little under $10 for the 1 gallon jug, or $2.50/qt. Great price for a great oil.

Patrick7997 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 ESC, 2004 Escalade, 2007 HD Road King Classic

I'll have to check the Wally World again....

If I ever see a bottle of that stuff, it'll be a first...

Not that I'm that concerned... the car runs great on the 15w40...

I put Mobil Delvac (15W-40) in my '97 with almost 160k miles, and it really seemed to LOVE it. I did that about a week before shipping the car off to my brother, and really wish I had tried it sooner. It doesn't get all that cold in NC, but I'm not comfortable running a 15W-40 where a 5W-30 is spec'd (my 2001) without having a lot of miles on it (it has less than 60k). I knew the 15W-40 was going to work great for my brother because he's in Tucson, and the car will be seeing LOTS of +100*F temperatures and very little below 50*F I'm sure.

MonzaRacer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by jadcock View Post
    I saw the Rotella T in 5W-40 at Wal-Mart. But when looking at the spec sheet, the viscosity of that oil is alarmingly high compared with 10W-30 oils. The price was pretty fair for a full synthetic oil, about $4/qt.

I'd still like to find the 10W-30 Delo 400. The viscosity on that oil is higher even than many of the high mileage SL oils, which are already pretty thick compared with the "standard" SM oils out today.
    HOW do you come up with the ideathat a 5W40 synthetic oil has a greater viscosity index over the 10W30 that your older engines would actually notice?
    while yes the 5W40 is slightly heavier after it warms up it should never give that engine any problems.
    I know several N*s running rotella contiuosly in the 15W40 range here in Indiana and have no problems and have ran it since new(as we all know and love the antiwear capabilites of Rotella oil.
    After the oils heats up I dont think the difference of 30 and 40 weight are not enough to kill an engine especially with an older ,higher mileage engine.

According to Shell, the vis @ 100*F of the 5W-40 is 15.1 I believe. Even the heaviest 10W-30s are only about 12.5. If the viscosity scale is linear, and I don't know that it is, that's 20-25% thicker than a 10W-30 at that temperature.

But if you read my follow-ups in this thread, you'll find that I did use Delvac (15W-40) in my high mileage 1997 Northstar. My current Northstar has less than 60k miles on it, and I'm not comfortable running a 40W oil in it. It may not do any damage, but now that I have discovered that I have Rotella in 10W-30 available to me, I'd rather run that because I KNOW 10W-30 is good for the engine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.