Alternator Cooling
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Alternator Cooling in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi, I asked about this before but got no response. Can anyone that has a liquid-cooled alternator check the plumbing ...
    lisekpl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

Alternator Cooling

Hi,
    I asked about this before but got no response. Can anyone that has a liquid-cooled alternator check the plumbing configuration for me. All I need to know is where does the top coolant line go to, from the diagrams I see it going underneath the beauty cover, Im not sure if it goes directly to the reservoir or not? and second how does the mounting on the radiator look like for the other line, I dont know if my 96 rad. is compatible, I dont see any extra outlets for any more lines. Thanks in advance, Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Alternator Cooling

The '96 is not water cooled.

I know Ranger, but the 99 is and the 96 alternator will not mount on the 99 block (the one I already timeserted and will put in my 96), the mounting positions are totally different, the same goes for the compressor, I had to buy both of them. (Just so everybody knows, 99 accessories such as the alt. and ac compressor will not mount on 97 & earlier seville models if someone is attempting an engine swap).

P.S. If anyone wants a 96 alt. or compressor I will sell it for dirt cheap. The same might go for the rad. if I will have to get a 99 one.

So again, if any of you have that have a 98 or 99 seville, can you check the mounting locations for both alternator coolant pipes, I would really appreciate it.

nigelb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS RHD 194,150 miles. what's a speed limiter???

the top coolant (outlet) pipe tees into the heater pipe that runs across the top of the tranny
    the bottom pipe (inlet) connects into the bottom corner of the radiator.
    you will need a radiator from a later car

jadcock is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 2001 STS

Before doing all that, perhaps look into the possibility of getting a 2000+ alternator (or whenever they stopped using the water cooled units). I'd imagine it would still bolt to your 1999 engine block, and you wouldn't have to mess with all the coolant lines. It'd probably cost you the same to get a good remanned alt. vs. a new radiator.

Thanks nigelb,
    at least I know where to start looking now, and jadcock, I will look into the air cooled models, I should have probably done that in the beginning but I can always sell this alt. and get the other one. Again, thanks for your help.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.