Anybody here have Dynomax Super Turbos on your Northstar?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Anybody here have Dynomax Super Turbos on your Northstar? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I am thinking about hacking off the stock muffs and going with a pair of the Super Turbos and Z28 ...
    1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

Anybody here have Dynomax Super Turbos on your Northstar?

I am thinking about hacking off the stock muffs and going with a pair of the Super Turbos and Z28 rectangular tips. Anybody done these muffs and did you notice any performance gain? I realize I probabley wont get too much performance out of it, but it would be nice to have a little more of a rumble when I get on it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jadcock is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 2001 STS

Re: Anybody here have Dynomax Super Turbos on your Northstar?

Lots of people at Caddyinfo have the Dynomax Super Turbos. I understand they all like them.

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

lol
    and u know wat the z/28 tips look like from my car!

fubar569 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 82 fleetwood - 97 deville

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacETC1997 View Post
    lol
    and u know wat the z/28 tips look like from my car!

your exhaust focking rocks
    sounds like alot mroe than a northstar under there!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

HMMMMM......lessee...If memory serves me correctly, the 1964 Chevy Corvair Monza Spyder was one of the first production turbocharged street cars, using a beefed up air cooled flat 6, 4-speed. There were no wastegate or blowoff provisions to limit boost, so power output was controlled by: 1. A single throat carburetor which went supersonic (airflow restriction) at around 6200 RPM, and 2. A single 3" "turbo" muffler which, internally, severely restricted exhaust gas flow at around the same RPM, limiting turbocharger rotor speed, thus boost. "Turbo" has become a buzzword in exhaust circles 'cause it sounds trick. If the muffler you contemplate was really "turbo" (i.e. exhaust restrictive) would you put it on your normally aspirated engine???

JimHare is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!

Agree with Submariner there - the "Turbo" appellation has become quite overused in marketing circles, so I'd just ignore it.

I put the standard 20" Dynomax replacement muffs on my Eldo last June - the same length as the stock muffs, rather than the 14" that some people here have put on - which required an extention pipe or some other rigging from the muffler shop. Meineke did mine in about 30 minutes, they were an exact fit.

The D/S/Ts are a little quieter at idle, actually, but they start to 'burble' nicely at around 1500 RPM. Full throttle is also a bit throatier, but at some point the engine noise overcomes the exhaust note.

I doubt whether there is any performance gain noticeable except by a machine, and even there it would probably be very minimal.

Thanks for all the info everyone. Maybe I should sue the companies that call them Turbo mufflers as they contain no turbochargers, lol.

Anyhow, for now I think I am just going to stick with the stock muffs, it does sound nice even with those when I get on it and I dont like loud cars anyhow, so I guess I'd just be wasting money. If in the future the stock muffs go, I'll replace them with the dynomax ones as I'll need them anyhow at that point.

JimHare is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!

Probably a smart move - I'm not saying I regret doing mine last year (at a total outlay of about $125.00 ) but I am a little disappointed that the exhaust note isn't just a teeny weeny bit 'rougher' at idle - I was hoping for something just a bit more agressive than the stock - and like I said, at idle they're actually QUIETER than stock...

I am kind of nervous in doing exhausts at this point as I spent around 300 bucks on my Colorado pickup truck for nothing. I did a flowmaster 40 series and hated it and ended up putting on a walker quiteflow which is about like stock. The 5 cylinder motor in that vehicle sounds horrible with anything other than stock in my opinion. Well at least the truck is a little lighter now as the stock looked like big oil drum and the quiteflow looks just like a regular muffler. When I had the flowmaster on everytime I hit a hill on the highway there was a real drone in the cab, it really interfered with the good sound system I have in the truck.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

FWIW, 6 months ago I scored a CORSA system for my '02 STS at AutoPartsWarehouse for less than a grand, FED EX shipping free. The system is a work of art and is stupidly easy to install WITH A LIFT. Nice idle, dead quiet at cruise from 50 to 80, but all bets are off when you get aggressive with the accelerator: the system is made of mandrel bent straight pipes, all 2 1/2", muffler/resonator included, and uses several various sized holes burned in the pipe walls inside the muffler/resonators to "tune out" the cruise RPM drone. When exhaust gas flow increases past a certain point, there aren't any mufflers in the system. Using a flashlight you can see through the entire system from cat to tips.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.