Anyone actually done a head gasket in car
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Anyone actually done a head gasket in car in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Ok - I know what the manual says - but following the manual is just too easy!!! Has anyone actually ...
    dac675 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2001 STS

Anyone actually done a head gasket in car

Ok - I know what the manual says - but following the manual is just too easy!!!

Has anyone actually (sucessfully) done a N* headgasket change in the vehicle? I have a '97 Deville that appears to have a blown head gasket (~85K miles) and I am debating whether it is worth it to try and do it in the car. From a little bit of staining I see, it appears to be the rear head (closest to the firewall). I know that if I need to do timecerts, I will definitely need to pull, but I am debating doing the initial head removal in the car.

I am looking for feedback from anyone who has (sucessfully or not) attempted this in the car. What was your outcome? Any especially impassable sticking points? Please don't quote the manuals for me - I am looking for actual experience here.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jadcock is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 2001 STS

Re: Anyone actually done a head gasket in car

Yes. If nobody on here has done it, check http://www.caddyinfo.com forums. Multiple folks there have done head gaskets AND Timeserting in the vehicle. They all said it would have been easier with the powertrain cradle removed, but both head gaskets AND Timeserting CAN be done with the engine in the car. I believe both were on Sevilles, so a DeVille probably has even a little bit more room to work with.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

The guru said he did one and would never do it again.

I think your shooting yourself in the foot to try it that way. Why torture yourself when dropping the cradle makes it soooooooooooo much easier?

Unless you have a large amount of perseverance you will probably never finish it if you do it in the car. Dropping the cradle will put you in the range of likely completion.

lisekpl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

The head bolts have most likely stripped the block holes, and you will need a $1500 digital tool that typically on the dealer has.

Find a newer total car!!

Ed

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Quote Originally Posted by z06bigbird View Post
    The head bolts have most likely stripped the block holes, and you will need a $1500 digital tool that typically on the dealer has.

Find a newer total car!!

Ed
    ?? What tool are you talking about?? You need timeserts which cost about $350 for the installation kit. You can often find the tools used for about $200 and buy new inserts for about $50. They can be easily done by anyone with fair skills.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by z06bigbird View Post

Find a newer total car!!

Ed
    Huh?

misfit6794 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT

Hmmm, I don't see why you would want to try it, but anything is possible. When I stopped in at my mechanics when he was doing my headgaskets, he was timeserting the block. I could see this being way more difficult with the engine in car, especially the rear gasket. Its not really a repair to experiment with, unless you've gotta spare engine. No point in doing all the work if you are unable to do it properly, I think it would be really hard reach all 20 headbolts, to retap them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.