Torque Converter Clutch (P 0741 TCC stuck off)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Torque Converter Clutch (P 0741 TCC stuck off) in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; The Tech at the Cadillac Dealer tells me the reason my "Service Engine Light" is on is due to the ...
    PhillyXcess is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 DTS (Black on Black)
    I currently live in Austin, TX, but I will always be a Philly Kid.

Torque Converter Clutch (P 0741 TCC stuck off)

The Tech at the Cadillac Dealer tells me the reason my "Service Engine Light" is on is due to the Torque Converter Clutch. They explained my car is not going into overdrive and my gas mileage will suffer. Aside from that they didn't give me much of an explanation on why I need make a repair.

Can anyone please shed some light on what the heck the Torque Converter Clutch is and how urgent the need to repair? The Service Dept wants almost $3,000 to make the repair.

I hadn't noticed the car driving differently, but I took the car in because my Engine Light had come on.

It's a 2002 Deville DTS - 82K milies - according to the work order "Has a PO741 TCC Stuck Off.

Any insights are apppreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

fubar569 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 82 fleetwood - 97 deville

Re: Torque Converter Clutch (p0741 tcc stuck off)

your service department is trying to buttream you without lube!

that code..tcc stuck off...doesnt mean your car isnt going into overdrive...it just means that the converter isnt locking up. your mileage will suffer, but running without the converter locked will cause excessive heat and eventually will kill the transmission...that would be what id be most worried about...

there could be a number of reasons for this...could be as simple as the tcc solenoid, or as complex as the converter itself being fubared...which would mean they'd have to drop the cradle and seperate motor and trans to replace the converter...either way, 3,000 is WAY too much...

i'd find another dealer and get a second opinion on the repair estimate...it SURELY needs further diagnosis at a minimum
    RedG49 and RedG49 like this.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Your mileage will suffer by about 1 MPG. Slippage is very minor. All transmissions used to slip like this before TCC's. I do not think your trans will overheat or get damaged by running it as is.

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by fubar569 View Post

that code..tcc stuck off...doesnt mean your car isnt going into overdrive...it just means that the converter isnt locking up. your mileage will suffer, but running without the converter locked will cause excessive heat and eventually will kill the transmission...that would be what id be most worried about...
    It's been 40k miles since mine starting having this problem and the transmission is still holding up fine. I also live in S. California where it is subjected to some warm temperatures.

99Classillac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Ex-99 Deville owner, Now-04 DTS and 05 DTS. ZX6R Pilot too.

I used to have this problem when i had 20 inch rims on my deville. I cleared the codes when I took the rims off. No problems now. I even did the test where you get on the highway and tap the brake pedal slightly to disengage the clutch and it disengages which means it was engaged. I think the heavy weight of the rims caused the TCC to slip and the code came up.

aamusls06 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Cadillac Seville SLS, 88 Cadillac Deville, Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by fubar569 View Post
    your service department is trying to buttream you without lube!

there could be a number of reasons for this...could be as simple as the tcc solenoid, or as complex as the converter itself being fubared...which would mean they'd have to drop the cradle and seperate motor and trans to replace the converter...either way, 3,000 is WAY too much...

i'd find another dealer and get a second opinion on the repair estimate...it SURELY needs further diagnosis at a minimum
    I'm no authority on this, but I burned mines up with that problem. Although I stayed on the interstate and made a few trips through the Appalachians toward Atlanta visiting the ole lady. I also made frequent trips from my work unit with the Forest Service to home and back to college. I put at least 10,000 miles or more on it before it burned up. I remember the exact date of October 21st 2006(anniversary) when it first kicked that solenoid code out and it burned up on the 19th of Jan 07 after a five state trip in one day. I honestly believe it was slipping before the code was kicked out because I started noticing slight changes in my tach along the interstate in the summer time. It will go the distance though as I seen with my own eyes.

I agree with the guy that said heat could cause it to kill the tranny, but that's because of the experiences I had with my car. I didn't believe it could happen because of just a slight slippage, but when I saw my clutch packs and other parts that changed my tune. I got a friend of the family to rebuild mines and it was no where near $3000. I was burning a whole tank of gas almost on a 230 mile interstate trip. Now I can go there on a little bit more than a quarter tank.

I believe I could've dodged that problem if I had've replace that bad torque convertor, but being cheap I suffered. Like fubar said, solenoid or torque convertor. That's just to be safe. That should be pretty reasonable. I don't even think a complete rebuild would cost nowhere near 3000 bucks.

jadcock is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 2001 STS

TCCs are there for a reason, and the cooling systems and transmission lubrication systems are designed as such. We all know these cars' systems are so integrated, we really shouldn't question THAT...

Having no TCC operation will cause the transmission to run hotter. There's no doubt about it. The difference will be sustained slippage on long trips. In the city, the TCC usually isn't engaged anyway, depending on your speed. But it will have an effect on transmission durability and fluid life.

Windrider is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98-SLS, 01-SLS

This code is an old friend. I have the same code on my 98 SLS. Started showing up about 2 years ago at about 125,000 miles. Would only happen starting in D and running up to the shift point (at 41 mph I think?) when the SES light would light.

The information on this forum was very helpful. Basically the forum advice was to suspect the sensor before the TCC. I had the transmission fluid changed and added a bottle of Lucas transmission additive. Code came back almost right away. Also read that the code does not appear if you drive in 3rd. So now I drive in 3 around town and when I am on the interstate I shift to D and it always go to overdrive (RPMs drop). When I exit I usually downshift to 3. Sometimes the SES is on, sometimes not based on drive cycles and how good I am about remembering to downshift to 3 when slowing down.

The car has 155,000 miles now, gets 24 mpg and seems to shift as expected.

I would say if it shits to overdrive when you shift from 3 to D don’t worry about it.

Don't confuse overdrive with TCC lock up. Two totally different things.

Ranger I take your point. The reason I thought they were related is that I don't get the code if I stay in 3rd and recently there was a tread that discussed getting your car ready for state inspection with this code. The fix was to stay in 3rd and drive a certain number of cycles so there was no remaining information.

Your point is that the transmission is shifting above lock up speed but not necessarily with torque converter lock up.

Do I have it right??

Thanks

Windrider

99Classillac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Ex-99 Deville owner, Now-04 DTS and 05 DTS. ZX6R Pilot too.

Do the lock up test. Go above 41 mph. I do about 60mph. Then while holding a steady speed (NO cruise control), tap the brake pedal just enough to turn on the brake light or hear that little click. If you see your RPM's go up, then your converter is locking up. If the RPM's stay the same, then is isn't. The converter clutch disengages when you hit the brakes.

Windrider,
    I believe that is correct. Don't quote me but I think 3rd gear bypasses the TCC lock up. TCC locks up only in OD.

Also, keep in mind per 99clasics post, that you will only see about a 200 RPM jump in RPM. Gotta watch the tach closely.
    99Classillac likes this.

jadcock is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 2001 STS

3rd gear does not bypass lockup. Both my '01 STS and '97 SLS lockup in 3rd gear.

Then what is the purpose of clearing the DTC and driving in 3rd for several days to pass an emissions test when you get that DTC?

OK I did the lock up test last night on the way home from work. When I am in 3rd I did not observe any change in rpms but in D I did see the tack move up. I did the test several time and the results were the same. Also when I was above 41 mph, in D and did the test over and over I never got the SES light but as soon as I dropped below 41 mph and then cross it again got the SES light and when I checked codes it was P0741 current.

I think this confirms Rangers comment about lock up in D only and tells me that I have a sensor problem and not a TCC problem. I am going to continue to drive around in 3 and use D for the highway and ignore (and clear) the SES/P0741 code.

Thanks

Windrider

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.