Torque Converter Clutch (P 0741 TCC stuck off) - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Torque Converter Clutch (P 0741 TCC stuck off) in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; An update for those who may care. I decided to take it to an independant on a recommendation. He also ...
    Toddalin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Aurora

Re: Torque Converter Clutch (p0741 tcc stuck off)

An update for those who may care.

I decided to take it to an independant on a recommendation. He also said he would beat AAMCO's price.

I did the brake tap test on the way over to the shop, and as I thought, the torque converter lock-up solonoid is functioning properly as it always has. I took the car up to ~52 mph and while holding the accellerator steady, tapped the brakes. The tach instantly came up ~200 RPM, stayed for a couple seconds, then returned. So at least I'm not looking at a solonoid.

On the other hand, the cost of the solonoid is minimal next to the labor and trying to solve the problem is often more labor intensive than fixing a known defective part. Anyway, he said he would not exceed $650. We'll see what happens.

Dave NYC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville

OK,

So far so good. About a week ago I cleared the P0741 code with my OBD II scanner tool. The code has not popped up as I have been driving in third to prevent the P0741 code to pop up.

The OBD II tool has two more things to check, the two remaining things are the ones with the arrows pointing to it in the pic below, they are blinking. Does anyone know what the two with the arrows are checking? Since I have been driving in third it is taking a little longer for the drive cycle complete.

Also, has anyone on this thread really beat the P0741 code so they can pass inspection (while driving in third)? Out of the three lights on my tool, the yellow light is lit. I'm hoping it will go to green once the tool finishes testing the drive cycle while driving in third. (the picture is just a stock photo of what my OBD tool looks like, disregard what it says, i.e. pending codes. I put the pic up to show the two remaining that are blinking on my tool)

Thanks for any help you can give~

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Why don't you use the cars onboard diagnostic system to pull the codes?

Also, has anyone on this thread really beat the P0741 code so they can pass inspection (while driving in third)?
    It HAS been done. Just not sure if it will work on your year. If the code does not return while in third (for a week or so), you should be good to go.

Why don't you use the cars onboard diagnostic system to pull the codes?
    I pull the codes by plugging in the OBD II scanner directly into the car under the dash. I don't know how to pull and clear codes without the tool. So, it is easier to use the scanner tool.

It is really snowing and I just came back from NJ and the code still has not popped up. But, it is still lit up yellow. Hopefully after the drive cycle completes, it will light green (figners crossed).

Thanks for the advice

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Go to the top of the main Seville, Deville, or Northstar Performance threads page(s) and study the sticky post "How to pull codes". (Right now it's just above this thread on the page) Practice (piece of cake) and then write down any codes and whether they are Current or History - return to the sticky and open the proper link for your car year to get to a Master Index of code definitions for P,B,C, and U codes.

The little AC and O icons may very well not exist for your car - aftermarket scanners are pretty generic, and as with any test gear, you really get what you pay for with these things. Why not learn the built-in scanner operation and bounce the two off one another ??

Option #3 - Look at www.scangauge.com - you can set it to monitor codes while driving, similar to your present plug-in.

The mechanic said that he pulled the pan and there were chucks of metal and needle bearing in it. He thinks it's plugging up the system and this is setting the code. Really weird considering it showed no problems. He'll pull it apart and figure it out. A replacement trannie from GM (remanufactured) with 2 year warrantee would be $2,400. OUCH!

[QUOTE=Toddalin;2460514] A replacement trannie from GM (remanufactured) with 2 year warrantee would be $2,400. OUCH![/QUOTE]

Too bad we're not fooling with a simple 4-speed manual Muncie. Wait 'till you see the labor to install it..................

[QUOTE=submariner409;2460521]
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddalin View Post
    A replacement trannie from GM (remanufactured) with 2 year warrantee would be $2,400. OUCH![/QUOTE]

Too bad we're not fooling with a simple 4-speed manual Muncie. Wait 'till you see the labor to install it..................
    I got the feeling that he was talking installed, but...

I replaced the Muncie M20 in my '64 Vette with a new (not remanufactured) 5-speed Keisler/Tremec after having the Muncie rebuilt. Keisler was $2,300 and $600 labor.

[QUOTE=submariner409;2460521]
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddalin View Post
    A replacement trannie from GM (remanufactured) with 2 year warrantee would be $2,400. OUCH![/QUOTE]

BTW, some of the Muncie's internal parts are now very expensive.

OK,

Upon further research, NY state has 11 moniters that scan the OBD II. Before I cleared my code (P0741) all 11 moniters were solid (meaning they were ready, but I had a P0741 code and I cleared it). When a moniter is not ready, the scan tool blinks the one that is not ready. As it stands now, I only have 1 moniter that is blinking on my OBD II scan tool.

Below is a quote from the NY state guidelines on OBD II rediness,

There are a total of 11 possible monitors, 2001 and newer vehicles will fail when 2 or more monitors are reported as “Not Ready.” There are a few vehicle exceptions to these guidelines, but the NYVIP inspection software makes these cases transparent to the inspector. Consistent with federal guidance, the three continuous monitors are not considered in the readiness determination as these are anticipated to be Ready. In summary, the readiness status of all supported, non-continuous monitors are only considered in making the OBD II pass or fail determination.For most gasoline-powered vehicles, this involves 3 to 5 monitors.

So, as it stands now, I do not have any DTC codes, the SES light is not on (due to driving in third). I'm just waiting for the last of the 11 moniters to stop blinking. But, NY state says you are allowed to have 1 that is not ready and still pass. I don't want to wait for the last minute to get inspected. I know that all 11 moniters work on my car and one is blinking. In a perfect world, I would take the car to get inspected as there are no codes present and I'm allowed to have one moniter not ready. But, I'm going to continue to drive for a short while (in third) and hopefully that remaining moniter will be ready. I just wish I knew what "O" means.

@submariner409 thanks for your advice. But, the scanner tool I have reads all 11 moniters and it clears codes and it lets you know when the car is ready for inspection, it is got everything one needs for my purposes. Thanks for the advice~

Remember that, when you "clear codes" it takes a week or two of driving for the emissions system to complete all its checks and then set the "ready" flag.

Muncie ------ referenced not so much for expense but in terms of "relatively easy to rebuild and install". Yep - I went through a couple in '65 Chevelle SS's and a '67 Corvette. Long throw, slow shifting SOB........remember the reverse lift trigger ?

Will driving in third hurt the car? I have been driving in third to prevent the P0741 from going on. So far the code has not come on. I'm just waiting for 1 remaining system check, it is either O or 0. I don't know how much more driving I have to do for the "O" to stop blinking. Once it stops, then my car will be ready for inspection. I heard O stood for oxygen. Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Driving in 3rd won't hurt anything but your wallet. Higher RPMs = higher fuel usage. I suppose if you want to get real technical higher RPM's also means more engine wear, but consider that the Northstar was tested at WOT for 300 hrs (12.5 days) straight.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

I wonder if the 'O' is for Overdrive?
    you'll never pass that while driving in third... but i wouldn't start driving in D just yet - plus that would almost guarantee the light to come back on and the code to set
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

I picked up the Aurora yesterday.

They put in a rebuilt trans with a new torque converter. Good to his word, the price was $2,400 for parts and labor with a 2 year warrantee (that will get me through the next smog cycle). The actual bill was a bit higher (just <$3,000) because it also included the two high pressure hoses, a new thermostat, and sales tax, though he shifted some parts to labor to save on tax. He even threw in a free detail that I can go back and use.

Anywho, the registration is due today.

I left the transmission shop yesterday afternoon (they picked me up) and put about 40 miles on the car on the way home. My wife drove it a bit (hot start) and I let it cool down before putting another 15 miles on it last night (cool start).

This morning (cold start) I took it out for a drive through the canyons and freeways, and came home. Later I took it out (warm start) and got lunch (hot start) and got fuel (fuel Evap cycle?), then took it up for a jaunt on the freeway before taking it in and having it tested.

All told I put 141 miles on it in two days and the shop said they put on about 20 miles before I picked it up.

All systems were showing OK and it passed no problem.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.