Torque Converter Clutch (P 0741 TCC stuck off) - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Torque Converter Clutch (P 0741 TCC stuck off) in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; In the event that you need to replace the TCC PWM Solenoid Valve, there is no need to pull the ...
    2001_Seville_SLS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Seville SLS

Re: Torque Converter Clutch (p0741 tcc stuck off)

In the event that you need to replace the TCC PWM Solenoid Valve, there is no need to pull the transaxle or hang it on all threads. The valve can be replaced with the engine and transaxle in their original location. I posted a how to in Tech Tips.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...741-p1860.html

jtcne is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 DHS

Hi Bob,

How do you go about resetting the p0741 code? I need to get my car inspected and $1000+ repair is not an option at present.

Thanks!

John

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by jtcne View Post
    Hi Bob,

How do you go about resetting the p0741 code? I need to get my car inspected and $1000+ repair is not an option at present.

Thanks!

John
    Repair is really the only way to properly turn off the light and stop the code. Read the sticky thread at the top of this main threads page - "How to pull codes" - study the whoe thread, then practice working with the car's built-in code system. You can then "clear codes". The light should go out. BUT, if the fault occurs again, as the TCC tries to engage at about 41 mph, the light will return.

In some models you can drive the car for a couple of weeks with the stick in 3 - if you're primarily a city/near suburban driver that's perfectly fine - the transmission then won't change to 4th and TCC will not attempt to engage. IF that is successful for you, the light should go off in 2 or 3 days of normal driving. IF it does, then it will take another week or so of normal driving - in 3 - for the car's DTC system to set a "ready" flag for the emissions test set.

BTW - Welcome Aboard !!!............

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Not sure if that will work on a 2000, but can't hurt to try it.

Don't have it tested right after clearing the codes. Uncle Sam anticipated we'd do that and built in a "readiness" test. It will flag that the PCM is not "ready" because the codes where cleared. You'll need to drive it for a few days. If driving it in 3rd works, you're golden, if not, you're screwed.

HamidTheProgrammer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville DHS

I had the exact same code, plus another one on my 2001 Deville DHS which has less than 80K on it. I took it to Martin Cadillac service in Kentucky for inspection. They charged me $100 to the checkup and they gave me an estimate of $2,500 to fix the Trans. The estimate included replacing the solenoid and the TCC “that alone cost $650. So I took it to a local Transmission shop few days ago. They replaced the solenoid, which what prevented the clutch form engaging, and some other part that was corroded “not related to the trans” and the charge of antifreeze fill up. All that for $713. I’ve been driving it for few days now and none of the error codes came back so far.

Domino1968 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS

Dammit!!! I just got the P0741 and P1860 code today! Not only that, I was/am on a road trip when it happened! Guess I will be busy working on this when I get back home. I think I am going to try 2001_Seville_SLS's method of replacing the solenoid, if not, I gotta find me some 14mm rods!

Marco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

Domino,
    Please keep us updated on your repair.
    I am looking at the same situation, also with a Deville.

Dave NYC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville

This P0741 code is a sad state of affairs. As someone mentioned, before all this computer stuff we did not have to worry about codes that might be ambiguous to prevent passing an inspection. On the other hand, the on board computer helps pinpoint a problem with your car. Too bad the government could just keep the same inspections they used before the on board system and the on board system is used strictly for repairs. But, there is nothing we can do about that.

Yes, I'm a member of the P0741 club and it stinks, as nothing is wrong with my transmission, everything glides smoothly. But, that damn P0741 code popped up, I cleared the code myself and I am trying the drive in third technique. Because, I need to have an inspection done this month.

For people that live in NY, you can get a waiver from your inspection center. It states if you have a code that does not involve serious safety and you spent a minimum of $400 to have it repaired, then a sticker will be issued, as a wavier will be used, all your inspection center has to do is sign it and you sign it and you are good. If it's a mamma and papa type place, you might be able to get the waiver by slipping them an extra $20. So, the worst case scenario would be $400 and a wavier and you will get your sticker.

I just hope this driving in third will fix my inspection problem.

I just hope this driving in third will fix my inspection problem.
    Not sure if that works on an '01, but can't hurt to try.

Dave NYC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Not sure if that works on an '01, but can't hurt to try.
    Hi, what's the year range of a caddy that 'driving in third' might trick the OBD to not throw the P0741. Is there anyone that used this trick and was able to keep that code from popping up, while driving in third? If so, what year was your car?

Thanks-

mhamilton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 XJ8-L, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(

Quote Originally Posted by Dave NYC View Post
    Hi, what's the year range of a caddy that 'driving in third' might trick the OBD to not throw the P0741. Is there anyone that used this trick and was able to keep that code from popping up, while driving in third? If so, what year was your car?
    I think it should work on all years... as long as you use 3rd the trans won't try to go into lockup, the PCM won't see a slipping input-vs-output speed condition, and it won't set the code.

I forget the year range, but I know people here have used it and it worked. Others with newer cars have tried it and it didn't so I'm pretty sure some changes have been made. I have the same problem, but no need to do it as I am not subjected to emissions testing.

Bowler807 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 DHS, 97 BMW Vert, 08 GMC Sierra Crew Cab

The torque converter locks up in third in my 03.

I also had the P0741 code. I just spent $1500 to replace the bad seals and torque converter. What a difference. After connecting his scan tool the mechanic said the transmission was slipping about 300 RPM in all gears. Since the repair I notice the tach is lower at any given speed in any gear. It seems that it was money well spent.

Toddalin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Aurora

Hi guys and gals.

I'm new to this forum and have and Olds Aurora with a Northstar that is throwing Code P0741 (it's not just a Caddie problem). The car has done this since new in 1999 and the Cadillac/Olds dealer changed the trannie twice (first time at ~50 miles). Other than the SES light, there is no apparent manifestation of the problem (but from this thread I now know the brake tap trick to check it out).

I need to get the car in for smog so disconnected the battery for a while. This cleared the codes and the car passed all emissions requirements, but the car failed because the battery had been disconnected and the computer had not reset. The guy said that I needed to drive it 50-100 mi.

I was driving the car through the canyons and no SES came on even at speeds of ~55 mph. Phew!!!! Jump on the freeway at about 40 miles on the odometer since reset, come up to cruise (~70 mph), look down and SHOOT the SES came on.

Ammco said that worst case scenario to replace would be ~$700, but now could not even look at the car because of the smog failure and it must go to a BAR station which would bring it to them.

One shop wanted $850 to replace the solonoid. The guy reset the code and put out the SES. I've told my wife to leave the car in 3 for the next week in hopes that this will get me through smog.

Let's hope!

Toddalin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Aurora

Update:

Wife took the car to Yoga and left it in 3rd. SES STILL CAME ON just as she returned home.

I guess it's off to a different AAMCO.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.