Torque Converter Clutch (P 0741 TCC stuck off) - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Torque Converter Clutch (P 0741 TCC stuck off) in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I failed the emissions test here, because I had reset the light before going in. All the sensors showed "not ...
    chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Re: Torque Converter Clutch (p0741 tcc stuck off)

I failed the emissions test here, because I had reset the light before going in. All the sensors showed "not ready". I reset the light again on the way home from the test. Made myself a sandwich, drove around in 3rd for about an hour, then went back and passed the test. Not all of the sensors showed "ready" but enough did to pass the test. Your mileage may vary...

TAG617 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville SLS

Cool that quick and it did it for you? I have a fuel line I have to replace and then I will try the third gear trick for a day or two and try the inspection again this weekend. Thanks.

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

I would suggest keeping it below 41mph if you can while driving around in 3rd gear. That's what I did to avoid the lock-up command being sent as well.

DTECKBAUER is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 DeVille

So, how do you know that replacing the solenoid will take care of the problem?what symtoms dose a bad torque converter have? I have the p0741 code and have the solenoid, but how can i rule out that there is nothing wrong with the torque converter? I tryed going 50 or 55 mph in OD watching the tac, tapping the brakes and not noticing change in rpms. the only other thing i have noticed odd is after car has been parked awhile (days) once or twice i have noticed that when put in reverse it did not do anything,put in park then back to reverse then it was fine.the engine is comming out on monday so want to take care of it while it is apart. thank you!!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

P0741 is a definite code: "Torque converter clutch stuck OFF". If you had other faults or transmission pump or line pressure faults, that would set different codes.

If the engine is coming out anyway, and if the similar transmission shift solenoid kit/bracket//upgrade has not also been done, do it all at the same time. ISS, too.

When you refill the transmission use the new DEXRON-VI synthetic. It is 100% backward-compatible with the older -III, but (seat of the pants) seems to give quicker, tighter shifts.

DTECKBAUER is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 DeVille

So your saying as long as its apart replace the shift solenoid, ISS ? what is that one and what dose it do? and you think the actuale torque converter is ok?

I have no way of knowing the health status of a torque converter, BUT they are a long-life item in the 4T80E transmission.

If you're doing the TCC solenoid, yes, do the 2 shift solenoids and bracket. There's a 1-2 and a 2-3 solenoid and modified bracket kit used to replace early failures related to the shift solenoids coming loose.

The ISS (Input Speed Sensor), a different critter than shift solenoids, is a once-in-a-while failure item, but you MUST remove the entire transmission to do it, so better safe than sorry.

Chuck C. is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 DeVille, 1985 Fleetwood, 1989 Fleetwood

Red face Re: Torque Converter Clutch (p0741 tcc stuck off)

Hi Guys, I've been reading this thread with great interest since I just pulled the same code P0741 - right after my SES light came on. I have a 00 DeVille with 105000 miles. I only get about 13-14 mpg in traffic & about 20 on the highway. I had been driving for about 10 minutes locally & just got on the L. I. Expressway when I realized that my shift lever was NOT on "D" but in between "3" & "D". I clicked it onto "D" & the car kicked some - enough kick to make me notice but not alarming. Right after that, (5 minutes) the SES came on. I pulled the codes when I got home & PCM P0741- Current - was the only new one. Did I mess up my tranny by not paying attention when shifting? Do I have to start looking for 14-mm rods?
    Chuck.

I doubt that you messed anything up.......If you live and drive in NYC/near suburban LI, then your mileages are just about correct. The only time you'll ever see the Deville up at 24 - 27 mpg long term average is on the trip up the Northway to Albany and west to Buffalo.

If you can, get on the LI and try to cruise at 55 - flat stretch. Use your gas pedal foot to maintain speed and touch the brake pedal with your left foot. Does the engine rpm jump up by 300? If so, TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) is working.

If you have a base Deville with the 3.11:1 final drive you should see about 1750 rpm at steady cruise 60 mph. If you have the Concours or DTS (3.71;1 ratio) you should see 2,000 rpm at 60. In either case, that rpm will increase by about 300 when you touch the brake pedal and that "tells" the transmission to drop TCC.

jimsbox is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 DHS

For what its worth, I bought my 00 DHS with 90,000 miles and getting the 741 and 1860 codes when I bought it. It now has 280,000 miles, only tranny work was a dealer fluid flush at 150,000 and still does fine even with these codes. I am swapping it out with a 90,000 mile junkyard tranny just because I have to pull the engine which has a blown head gasket. Don't need to worry about the TCC code. I still was getting up in the 26 to 28 mpg range on the highway at speeds of 65 to 75 mph.

lobodks2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Lightbulb p0741 tcc stuck off FIXED

Hi, I'm glad to have finally come across the fix of P0741 on a 99 Deville w/4.6 Northstar which was getting the P0741 code pretty constantly. The very first time I replaced the TCC solenoid and that did make the error go away but only for a few months, after that it started appearing again. So obviuosly the first time around, the fix was pretty expensive and I wasn't about to spend more money on it again and all I was doing was clearing the code and it wouldnt appear for a month or so.
    Now here's the fix which I discovered by sheer luck when my brake light pedal switch wasnt working and i replaced, there is another switch right on top of the stoplight switch the look alike and i noticed it was kinda loose, after Adjusting it on place BOOOM! P0741 is gone and has been for 7 months now.
    I dont know the technical name of the other switch so if someone wants to pitch in that would be awesome.

People with the P0741 error should try this 1st, its very easy and inexpensive so you will not lose anything but some time.
    Now I have not replicated the problem cause I really dont want to, but it worked for me.

Curious - the circuit itself should set a P0740 or P0743 code - electrical fault as opposed to "TCC stuck off".

Good catch..................

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

That's the TCC/CC disengage switch.

Chuck C. is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 DeVille, 1985 Fleetwood, 1989 Fleetwood

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    If you can, get on the LI and try to cruise at 55 - flat stretch. Use your gas pedal foot to maintain speed and touch the brake pedal with your left foot. Does the engine rpm jump up by 300? If so, TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) is working.

If you have a base Deville with the 3.11:1 final drive you should see about 1750 rpm at steady cruise 60 mph. If you have the Concours or DTS (3.71;1 ratio) you should see 2,000 rpm at 60. In either case, that rpm will increase by about 300 when you touch the brake pedal and that "tells" the transmission to drop TCC.
    I tried this on several occasions. At 60 mph my DeVille hits 1675 RPM pretty consistently, and when I tap the brake, my RPMs jump only about 100-150. Ive tried it at 70 mph & at 50 & the bump is still just about 150 but sometimes only 100.

Chuck

Good info - maybe the rpm change is different for the two final drive ratios.............

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.