Torque Converter Clutch (P 0741 TCC stuck off) - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Torque Converter Clutch (P 0741 TCC stuck off) in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Have you pulled the DTC's?...
    Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Torque Converter Clutch (p0741 tcc stuck off)

Have you pulled the DTC's?

fivo2fst4u is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Hi Ranger, i pulled all the codes from the instrument panel, and the only "Current" code is the PO741, by using the "off" and "warmer" buttons on the climate control. Is there another way to pull codes on this car that I'm not aware of? Thanks

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The code pull is correct for your car. The P0741 is the TCC fault, which seems to be the main bugaboo, but if the transmission intermittently "slips" or seems to drop a gear, then there may be an impending fault in the 1-2 or 2-3 shift solenoids which control fluid pressures. There is a solenoid kit from GM which addresses this problem as well as installs an additional solenoid bracket/brace.

fivo2fst4u is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    The code pull is correct for your car. The P0741 is the TCC fault, which seems to be the main bugaboo, but if the transmission intermittently "slips" or seems to drop a gear, then there may be an impending fault in the 1-2 or 2-3 shift solenoids which control fluid pressures. There is a solenoid kit from GM which addresses this problem as well as installs an additional solenoid bracket/brace.
    Thanks, but shouldn't it throw out another code for shift solenoids?

Yes.............notice that I hedged my bet on this one by saying ".....there may be an impending fault......."

If the TCC is stuck off, and possibly tries to engage once in a while, the transmission would not seem to slip or drop a whole gear: it would drop about 300 RPM in 4th at above (?) 41 mph, then go back up, but its a gradual "shift", not abrupt.

jcresciSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac Seville STS (November 2012, 183k)

When I bought my car in May 09 it had No Service Engine Soon light on. About a week later it turned on. Pulled codes from a shop, didn't know about the doing it myself, and the P0741 showed up. He cleared the code and it came back on the next day, I just left it on and drove. A few weeks ago I was going through the papers that I received from the previous owner and that code had shown up in July 08, I believe car was around 120k. I bought it with 124k on it and now I have 127k on it. Pulled codes yesterday from the dash and that code was shown. I cleared all codes and it has not come back on yet.

When going to register the car I had to have it smogged, it passed easily. The light was not on but the code had to have been in the system since it came up a year prior.

My avg mpg is 19.6 and on the freeway I'm getting 26/27mpg at 65mph Cruise Control engaged.

Only thing I feel is that when in traffic and letting off the gas at about 6mph when it drops to 4/5mph I feel the car stick at that speed. When coming to a stop sign and not fully stopping but accelerating at that speed I feel a slight kick.

The sticking feeling also happens when I am doing say 37mph and I take my foot off the gas and it drops to 35mph I feel a slight stickiness. I played with this (like an idiot) the other night on the hill to my house and as I went to put my car into Park (also drive and reverse) the car jerked really hard and it was idling at 2k, I turned it off then on and it was fine. Next day when exiting the freeway my car died while making the left hand turn at 15mph then I turned it on and got to work only to find the car jerking when putting it into park (D&R) but was idling at 1500 since then it hasn't done it again.

tmo727 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac DTS

my 2001 dts is throwing this code. I had the SES shut off because i failed emissions. So i have now driven about 150 miles and at all speeds and SES has not come back on. I have tried the brake test and the RPM's do rise slightly. Does anyone know how long it takes to complete drive cycle so i can go back in to emissions and try to retest before SES comes back on ??

If the SES light is not on and you did not reset the PCM (P) codes you should be good to go. Otherwise, give it a week. (The system needs time to reset in order to give a "ready" code to the test set.) BUT, you might get another TCC hangup in the meantime. Go for it.

jcresciSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac Seville STS (November 2012, 183k)

I reset my light on Thursday and it finally came back on Sunday Night/Monday Morning at about 130am. That was after about 160miles of driving. Thankfully this time it was the only code that showed up.

thomassk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Deville

I have a 1998 Cadillac Deville with a check engine light on with code P0741. The dealer service rep indicates that it is the transmission converter - cost of $3000 to replace. Would this prevent the car from passing a smog test in California?
    Thanks

Yes. Clear the code and drive it in 3rd for a week before you retest it. DO NOT put it in D or once you get to 41 MPH the code resets and you'll have to start all over again.

TAG617 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville SLS

I have this code as well. Along with a stupid "Check gas cap" which I believe is related to the EVAP system... Anyway, the P0741 code is wayyyy to expensive to get fixed but I have to pass MA emissions. Problem is I drive on the highway to and from work and usually heavy traffic. So putting it in 3rd for a week doesn't sound like a good idea. Am I right assuming that? Is there something else I can do to get it to pass inspection? If I clear it it usually takes a day or two to come back with normal driving. TIA!

Quote Originally Posted by TAG617 View Post
    I have this code as well. Along with a stupid "Check gas cap" which I believe is related to the EVAP system... Anyway, the P0741 code is wayyyy to expensive to get fixed but I have to pass MA emissions. Problem is I drive on the highway to and from work and usually heavy traffic. So putting it in 3rd for a week doesn't sound like a good idea. Am I right assuming that? Is there something else I can do to get it to pass inspection? If I clear it it usually takes a day or two to come back with normal driving. TIA!
    No. Won't hurt a thing, other than your fuel mileage.

TAG617 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville SLS

Cool, i'll start tonight on the way home. As long as the code doesn't come back within the week I should be good for emissions?

Yeah, that should do it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.