Torque Converter Clutch (P 0741 TCC stuck off) - Page 17
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Torque Converter Clutch (P 0741 TCC stuck off) in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi, Thank you both for the prompt responses. I got the code again a day after clearing. In addition the ...
    2008DTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS 2002 Deville

Re: Torque Converter Clutch (p0741 tcc stuck off)

Hi,
    Thank you both for the prompt responses. I got the code again a day after clearing. In addition the is only (1) other code, a IPM B0429. I think it has to do with the rear HVAC control or something as found on the forum. No big deal for me.
    I was hoping to hear from someone that had been able to clear the code without a transmission overhaul.
    Submariner, thanks for your offer to search your albums. I'm new, I will try to locate them as a start.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks,

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Click my username, open the profile. Left column, 2 albums down a bit. 118 pictures and diagrams of Northstar stuff.

or ............ up ^^^^ in the Community tab, Albums. The red Seville.

You might want to go way up into the top black bar and study the entire Cadillac Technical Archive. Very necessary info for every Northstar driver, most of it from a GM Powertrain engineer.

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

TCC stuck off situation can be intermittent. Telling by others' experience, it seems to gradually get worse though once it happens.

Thanks for the response. Yes, I understand it can be intermittent that's why I questioned the outside temperature. The situation with me is slightly different. My TCC has never malfunctioned, or failed to go into OD. All of the failure test suggested in these threads were successfully completed. I wish I could find a reliable transmission shop in Southwestern Pennsylvania to just repair the seal that is causing the light.
    The only alternatives I have been given were:
    Rebuild from Cottman $3500.
    Cadillac Dealer suggested not to just repair the problem, but to install an overhauled unit, $4000.

QUOTE=maeng9981;3310955]TCC stuck off situation can be intermittent. Telling by others' experience, it seems to gradually get worse though once it happens.[/QUOTE]

FWIW, TCC is NOT "overdrive". The transmission uses 4 gears - and 3rd is the 1.00:1 direct drive gear - 4th is 0.68:1 = overdrive. TCC is an emissions control that removes most of the last 300 or so rpm of slip between the stator and rotor - a gas mileage savings, therefore emissions-related. That's why a TCC fault will fail an emissions inspection.

The "drop in a rebuilt GM unit" seems to be the preferred fix among Cadillac dealers in the DC area also. Monster Transmission in Florida will totally rebuild a tight 4T80E with locking converter for $2700, shipped. You install it or pay labor, core goes back.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by 2008DTS View Post
    I was hoping to hear from someone that had been able to clear the code without a transmission overhaul.
    Clearing the code is easy (I do it almost every drive). Keeping is off is not easy or cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by maeng9981 View Post
    TCC stuck off situation can be intermittent. Telling by others' experience, it seems to gradually get worse though once it happens.
    It WILL become more frequent.

Thanks for the response. Yes, I understand it can be intermittent that's why I questioned the outside temperature. The situation with me is slightly different. My TCC has never malfunctioned, or failed to go into OD. All of the failure test suggested in these threads were successfully completed. I wish I could find a reliable transmission shop in Southwestern Pennsylvania to just repair the seal that is causing the light.
    The only alternatives I have been given were:
    Rebuild from Cottman $3500.
    Cadillac Dealer suggested not to just repair the problem, but to install an overhauled unit, $4000.
    Probably not to far out of line. Most of it is labor. When the seal is replaced it is recommended that the TC also be replaced. How important that is, I don't know.

d_snypa is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Deville

I got a stuck TCC code took it to the dealership they quoted me $4600. Took to another place without charging me they told me it may just be low on fluid. Checked the fluid it was low. Brought it up to level. TCC code gone. Saved $4584. Passes road RPM test as well.

Quote Originally Posted by d_snypa View Post
    I got a stuck TCC code took it to the dealership they quoted me $4600. Took to another place without charging me they told me it may just be low on fluid. Checked the fluid it was low. Brought it up to level. TCC code gone. Saved $4584. Passes road RPM test as well.
    I had my fluid flushed at the Cadillac dealer then removed some of the fluid and added a bottle of Lucas. It has been out now for 1400 miles and counting.code was not present when I had the emissions test done and now I am good to go till August 2014!
    I have been told that any type if additive in a bottle that is meant to swell up the worn seals won't work on the TCC since the seal is made of silicone.

Dave NYC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville

Re: Torque Converter Clutch (P0741 TCC stuck off)

Bravo

Quote Originally Posted by d_snypa View Post
    Be patient. It WILL return. You can clear the code and turn off the SES light, but rest assured, it will become more frequent. The good news is unless you have to pass an emissions test, you can ignore it.

P.S.
    The code is caused by a leaky internal seal causing a very slight TC slippage, NOT by being low on trans fluid.

Ranger, you are correct to code will reappear. I found a transmission shop south of Pittsburgh that was familiar with the problem. The overhaul still was $3500. , but he did offer to include the changing the leaky oil pan gasket. He knew they all leaked. He also said there are only two things that go wrong with the 4T80E is the SES light caused by the TCC or the car won't move. If I can, I will wait for the later to occur, since it is the same price to overhaul.
    Thanks man,

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Be patient. It WILL return. You can clear the code and turn off the SES light, but rest assured, it will become more frequent. The good news is unless you have to pass an emissions test, you can ignore it.

P.S.
    The code is caused by a leaky internal seal causing a very slight TC slippage, NOT by being low on trans fluid.

............... changing the leaky oil pan gasket. He knew they all leaked.
    Oh, really ?? I maintain my STS plus two other Sevilles and a Deville (all in the 2000 - 2004 years) and none of these leaks a drop of anything .......... of the 4 cars, two were bought used, two off the dealer floor.

He also said there are only two things that go wrong with the 4T80E is the SES light caused by the TCC or the car won't move.
    The later is rare. The 4T80E is pretty solid, generally speaking. The TCC (P0741) problem can last forever and not cause any problems.Unless a HG fails, I don't plan on fixing mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Oh, really ?? I maintain my STS plus two other Sevilles and a Deville (all in the 2000 - 2004 years) and none of these leaks a drop of anything .......... of the 4 cars, two were bought used, two off the dealer floor.
    My 2002 Deville doesn't leak on the floor either. On mine the engine oil leaks when driving and is blown back. I guess it won't rust...

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    The later is rare. The 4T80E is pretty solid, generally speaking. The TCC (P0741) problem can last forever and not cause any problems.Unless a HG fails, I don't plan on fixing mine.
    I agree, if it weren't for emissions in PA all would be good with an occasional reset of the SES light. At 130,000 I was getting the check coolant level message. Thought it was a head gasket. Turns out the float in the coolant tank was saturated and tripped the magnetic switch for coolant level. You can change the switch (external on the tank) that didn't work. I then replaced the tank and the switch was included $85 Advance Auto Parts. A friend had the same problem on his 2002 shortly afterwards. He only had 69,000 miles, so I think it is a matter of age that causes the float the become saturated and fail.

Re: Torque Converter Clutch (P 0741 TCC stuck off)

Yeah, I think the float thing is somewhat common and definitely age related. I get it every once in a great while. If it starts to get common I'll replace the tank.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.