Torque Converter Clutch (P 0741 TCC stuck off) - Page 16
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Torque Converter Clutch (P 0741 TCC stuck off) in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Keep us posted with the results...
    sts 03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 sts
    Keep us posted with the results

Ghostsoldier is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Eldorado ESC; 1974 Dodge Monaco 440 Police package

Re: Torque Converter Clutch (p0741 tcc stuck off)

Well, I replaced the MAF sensor, and it's still miss-firing and skipping...I guess it could be my plugs, although I replaced them 40,000 miles ago, and they were the expensive AC Delco versions; I cleared the PCM codes, and got this one: P1599 - Engine Stall or Near Stall Detected. Beats the hell outta me.

Oh yeah, and I got the P0741 current again, too.

Life is wonderful.

Rob

Not sure ever since I had my tranny fluid changed i've only got the code once which was the same day I changed it but haven't got it since.but now sometimes when I hit the gas my car hesitates sometimes.how would my car act of they forgot to tighten the side cover drain plug, cause I had to show them where it was.

Splitz300 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Eldorado ESC

Just wonderful. Now I've got this damn code.

Early stages, came on just as I parked back from lunch this afternoon.

I haven't had time to check much out, guess I'll crawl under the car tomorrow and poke around. I just can't win with this damn car. 12 months from paying it off and this?

FML!

Ghostsoldier is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Eldorado ESC; 1974 Dodge Monaco 440 Police package

Yeah, I still get the code, too. I clear it, and it usually stays off for a day, then pops back on.

Screw it...I'm not stressing over it any more.

On another note, I think my skipping problem is a fuel injector.

Rob

Same here I erase it and comes back usually on hilly roads which I have a lot where I live,I just hope the third great trick will work when its time for my emission test.how long do I have to drive in third for.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Long enough for it to pass the internal readiness tests. Probably a couple of days. There has been some question as to whether or not that works anymore.

I was thing in the fsm about the p0741 and it looks like maf and tps codes can cause the tc slip

Marco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

Well, been driving with an expired state inspection from '09 due to P1860 and 0741.
    I have a flat brown colored refrigerator magnet that is strategically placed over the ses light otherwise it would drive me nuts.
    Has anyone been successful at getting a ready-state condition & passing inspection using the newer code scanners?
    The last time I tried to pass inspection, I did not use a scanner.
    That resulted in a nearly $50 inspection fee and a letter from TX big brother informing me that since I failed the state inspection, I may be unable to receive my annual registration sticker.
    So far a hollow threat, but it would be nice to get this resolved.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Has anyone been successful at getting a ready-state condition & passing inspection using the newer code scanners?
    You can "clear codes" using your car's built-in code reader/scanner system or an aftermarket unit or even the GM Tech-II..... BUT if the fault is Current it will come right back as soon as you put the stick in D.

If the fault is/was intermittent it would self-clear the code in 30 or 40 successful start-run cycles during which the fault did not set again, and the DIC message would disappear as well as the SES.

If you always have the two trouble codes the only "fix" is to repair the TCC itself (torque converter) and/or the activation solenoid. There's a tutorial over in Cadillac Tech Tips - read through the many pages of threads - but you need time, tools, patience, and a sense of microsurgery procedures in an awkward working space.

I don't know about your particular car/model, but some of these years/systems will clear the codes if you drive in 3, not D.

DEER_HUNTER1992 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

hi, i have a vehicle that is having the same code, local garage said it was the tcc solenoid and so i replaced the tcc solenoid, trans filter, gasket and all new fluid. $300.00 i spent at the local garage and did not fix the issues. still having problems at freeway speeds. o/d off light keeps flashing but when you turn the vehicle off and back on it resets the computer but once you get back to around 50mph it will start flashing again, got referred to a trans shop and they are familiar with the code, said that they had 2 other vehicles in there right now with the same problem and it was the torque converter itself. they said if the trans pan was clean then its the torque converter it self or if the pan is dirty then you have to replace or rebuild the trans. my pan was clean, so replaced the torque converter at local garage which was $200.00-part from advance or autozone and $313.50-labor to put in. a whole lot better than $900.00 from trans shop. now my vehicle runs like new, no more problems. tip...... always get work done at local garages, dealers and specialty shops charge out the ass. hope this helps out....

$314 for labor is pretty good.but I think you are supposed to change some seals/gaskets in the case (I think ) and also change torque converter.this was a tsb i'm pretty sure of.this is if you have p0741 by its self.there is also a list of things to check first that can set the code like fluid level, certain maf and tps codes , if tranny is in Hot mode, pinch lines,etc....

2008DTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS 2002 Deville

Hi,
    2002 Deville Base 130,000 miles. Got the SES light as well! I have been reading through all 16 pages and there does not seem to be anything recent to solve the problem. Here is my situation:
    At 100,000 miles got the SES code p0741,no other codes, my mechanic said the same, replace transmission TCC slipping. I said it was not slipping or chugging. He said that according to his code reader it was slipping a few milliseconds and I probably would not notice anything. We changed the fluid and both filters, added Lucas SES reset and no further problems.
    At 125,000 SES light again P0741, no other codes. Read more on this forum and did the test when going 50 mph and touched the brakes, test was good. Also found some speed RPM tables here and they were spot on! I'm getting 27 MPG at 65 MPH on a relatively flat highway.
    This time went to Cadillac and had the system flushed. Got it back removed some fluid and added Lucas again, reset light all was fine. This was last November 2012. All has been fine since.
    At 130,000, got the SES light again, no other P codes. Does anyone think there is a correlation with the warmer weather? One of the threads mentioned that the P0741 may come on if the fluid was too hot. No overheating problems or coolant usage.
    As I said, the car continues to run well and shift fine, with RPM's in line or slightly less than the published table. I have checked the fluid level hot (as described in owners manual), no burnt odor or discoloration, only 5000 mile since replaced.

I also saw in a thread where there was a change made in later Deville's, DTS models that reprogramed the PCM delay a few milliseconds longer. This prevents the SES does not throw the P0741 code. I also have a 2008 DTS and the transmission looks the same, even has a dipstick. (most cars today have no dipstick, I have just seen a plug to check the level.) Any thoughts on flashing the PCM (If I knew where it was)?

Does anyone have any suggestions, I hate to overhaul the transmission when not needed.

Thanks again,

Dave NYC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville

That's upsetting. You're going to need to have the tranny opened up. Sadly weather is not the cause of this.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

P 0741 alone is usually an indication of a sticky or slowly failing TCC - Torque Converter Clutch - the thingy that removes the last 300 or so of slip between the stator and rotor. Gas mileage change = emissions fault.

Accompanied by P 1860 it says the TCC activator solenoid is toast.

You can live with either one in a non-emissions state - the solenoid can be done with microsurgery through the top of a slightly separated transmission/engine joint. A permanent P 0741 is the converter viscous clutch itself and requires partial engine removal and complete transmission removal.

Diagrams of these sensors and switches in my albums.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.