Torque Converter Clutch (P 0741 TCC stuck off) - Page 15
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Torque Converter Clutch (P 0741 TCC stuck off) in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; P0741 without P0186 is the seals leaking within the case I think, if there isn't a p0186 then its not ...
    sts 03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 sts
    P0741 without P0186 is the seals leaking within the case I think, if there isn't a p0186 then its not the tcc selonoid.yes low tranny fluid can set the code.I'm not sure if out would have any thing to ruff idle.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Torque Converter Clutch (p0741 tcc stuck off)

I get the P0741 occasionally as well. It DOES NOT cause a rough idle or "chuggle". If it where not for the SES light, you would not know there was a problem. Clear it and motor on.

Yeah to that I get the code here and there and my doesn't chuggle .but check the fluid , they book says drive for 15 minutes then park on level ground go through each gear ending in park then let idle for 2_3 minutes then pull dip stick out wipe off reinsert then check again.

Ghostsoldier is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Eldorado ESC; 1974 Dodge Monaco 440 Police package

I got the "chuggle" symptom comparison from this thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...60-1998-a.html

According to this post:

Condition
    Some customer may comment on the SES light on and a chuggle or surge. Diagnostics may show excessive TCC slip speed and DTC P0741 will be current code stored.

Cause

Seal damage may allow the TCC apply fluid to leak into the channel plate, causing excessive TCC slippage under certain conditions, eventually causing no TCC apply.

I have noticed a surge now and again, but not bad....this 'chuggle' is the worst I've dealt with so far.

As far as my test, I took a 15 mile drive this evening, and tried the lock-up test at 50, 55 and 60 mph; I kept the speed constant, and bumped the break...nada, nothing. The tach needle never even moved off the 2000 rpm tick. Keeping in mind, though, that I don't have the P1860 code, what does the lack of lock-up (possibly) suggest?

Also, when I checked the tranny fluid, it was at the "cold" level, when it should have been at the "hot full" level at that point of my driving. I put one quart in it, and now it reads in the "hot" zone, but the car is still skipping slightly.

I might add that the only two other P codes thrown earlier was the P0101 (Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Performance ) and the P0420 (Catalyst System Low Efficiency)...I'm not sure (excluding the MAF) that either of these two could cause the chuggle/skip, but maybe they are, and it's just a case of two different issues hitting me at one time.

Ranger...how can I clear the codes? Pull the positive cable on the battery for 10 seconds?

Rob

what does the lack of lock-up (possibly) suggest?
    Simply that the TC is slipping slightly (just like automatic transmissions did before they had TCC's).

Check the DTC sticky. It will tell you how to clear them or have a link that will. Pulling battery power will also do it, but may add a few U codes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Simply that the TC is slipping slightly (just like automatic transmissions did before they had TCC's).
    Will this symptom likely clear up after I drive it some more, and the fluid circulates? I've only drove it about 2 miles home, after I added the fluid.

(I'll check the DTC sticky, too...thanks!)

Rob

No, it will likely get worse over time as the seal leak gets worse. By worse I simply mean that clearing the code may be short lived and it will come back again. Mine stays off for several days when I clear it. The worst that will happen is that you'll run 200-300 higher RPM and you get about 1 MPG less fuel mileage. The alternative is to replace the seal and TC for about $2000. I wouldn't sweat it.

Thanks, Ranger....that makes me feel better, and I trust your judgement....you've never steered me wrong before.

Now, about that MAF sensor...could it be causing my skip, and throw the catalytic code, too?

Can I diagnose that in any way, or is it just a replacement?

Rob

A bad MAF sensor can cause all sorts of problems. I'm sure the FSM has a test procedure, but if you have a MAF code, I'd just replace it.

Do you have A fsm ,you can order the disc ones for your laptop for as cheap as 15 bucks its great to have if you work on your own car.I'm reading the fsm now and the first diagnostic aid is to check tranny fluid, tranny may be in Hot mode check tranny fluid lines to radiator they may be pinched plugged or twisted.so yes it is possible your low fluid set the code or you have a plugged line our the seals are leaking.mine only comes on sometimes when I drive down the certain stretch of hilly roads, makes me wonder if a line is blocked on mine

When you say the trans is running in "hot" mode, is that a condition that can be caused by the radiator running hot?

I ask because I have a pinhole leak in my radiator (I have an OEM replacement on the way--should be here Monday), and have run the car a little on the hot side a couple of times (never in the red, though--I replace the water every day).

I'll have to check, but I think I've replaced the MAF once (one from O'Reilly's)....

Rob

I'm not sure I'll have to look in the fsm but it does say something if the tranny is in Hot mode it can set the code, and if your radiator is leaking and car is running Hot I would think that would make your tranny run Hot not 100% sure though.correct tranny fluid fix radiator leak and hopefully you will get lucky.once you correct fluid and fix leak clear the code and start driving.

Thanks, sts...I'm going to re-replace the MAF sensor again to see if I can stop the skipping issue, and when I get the radiator changed next week, I'll report back on the TCC code.
    Rob

You can check and clear the codes from your dash there is a sticky on how do do this where you part the threads

Quote Originally Posted by sts 03 View Post
    You can check and clear the codes from your dash there is a sticky on how do do this where you part the threads
    10-4...I found it!

Rob

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.