Torque Converter Clutch (P 0741 TCC stuck off) - Page 14
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Torque Converter Clutch (P 0741 TCC stuck off) in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; YOU don't. It does it when it's ready and has passed all the internal tests. I believe you have to ...
    Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Torque Converter Clutch (p0741 tcc stuck off)

YOU don't. It does it when it's ready and has passed all the internal tests.

I believe you have to complete a drive cycle before it goes into the "ready state". That said, I don't think there is any way to tell if it is in the ready state or not.
    http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html

sts 03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 sts
    Ok,I'll keep a eye on it cause the ses light didn't come on with the code.

Dave NYC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by sts 03 View Post
    How do I make the odb in the ready state
    Well, this is how I did it. I purchased a handheld simple OBD II reader, it clears all codes on your OBD, it will remove your SES light and it will tell you when your OBD II reached every cycle, when you see a green light with a checkmark, that means you are good, if you have a yellow light, that means the cycle is not ready and if you have a red light, that means you have a code. If you still have a few things on the OBD II that are not ready, like your Oxygen sensor, etc;. it will blink. This is the perfect tool to point you in the right direction if you have a code, it gives you past and pending codes and it is much easier than having to go to a service station and have them do it.

The one I bought is on the link below. But, you can get this tool for as low as $20. It is also MUCH easier than trying to pull codes by using your dash, as this is a code puller, code remover/reset and a turn SES light off. It's the perfect tool to use so you know when your car is "ready" to take to the inspection center. I use this all the time, it's a great and handy tool.

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3030-Inn...424761&sr=8-10

So, what you might want to do is erase any codes you have, reset the OBD and take the car out on the highway and drive it for about 20 to 40 miles (drive in third to prevent the P0741). You wanna to take the car up to 55 and let it coast down on it's own to 15 without breaking. I have a list of tricks that will put your OBD in a "ready" state. But, just driving it on the highway for 20 to 40 miles should do it. If you have the hand held tool I'm talking about, then you will know exactly if it's ready and if it's not, it will tell you what needs to be ran. IMO, every car owner should have one of these tools. It beats going to a service center that might charge you more than the device itself to clear your codes and to tell you if you are in a "ready" state.

Below is the screen of the tool, when it's in a ready state, none of the symbols will be flashing, if it's not in a ready state, the things that have not been completed in the drive cycle will blink. In NY state, you are allowed to have 1 blinker, more than 1 you fail. That is why this is such a good tool to have. Especially if you want to know when your car is ready for inspection, to clear codes, find codes and to remove the SES light, etc;.

Below is what it does for emissions in laymen's terms,

Patented Emission Status LEDs
    Over 30 states now use an OBD2 based system to check for emissions readiness, making it more important than ever to be aware of the status of your vehicle and to keep it running in top condition. With this in mind, the Innova 3030 has been designed with the ability to read the exact same emissions information as these state-required tests do to see if you will pass the first time around. Built around a simple color-coded system where Green = Pass, Yellow = Potential Problems and Red = Fail, users are able to quickly diagnose potential emission issues with the 3030. Other tool manufacturers charge over $100 for this feature alone and a separate tool has to be purchased, but the 3030 includes this with the price of purchase.

And no, I don't for the people that makes these...LOL

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

P0741 and Service Transmission is a completely different animal. Either P0741 and P1860 will not display Service Transmission (but will illuminate SES light), but gear ratio/fluid pressure/long shift/shift adapt problems(codes) will display not SES light but Service Transmission. Like I said before, P0741 can also be set due to other problems.

Also P0741 is a type B DTC which will turn SES on after two consecutive trip with failed tests.

I think common sense dictates that "Service Transmission" and P0741 are different things. However, if you get that message and ignore it, then there is a good chance you will get a P0741 'among other tranny related codes, etc;'. Especially if the car has some years and miles on it.

ok so the ses light finally came on twice and both times it was on a hilly stretch of highway.it came on both times going up the last hill as soon as I get right at the top of the hill.this road has atleast 5 or 6 hills back to back .

That's when mine comes on.

what would cause that if it is only on hilly stretches of road

I'm just guessing that as the load increases, so does the TC slippage due to the leaking seal. I can't confirm this, but it seems that I don't get the light and code if I downshift to 3rd.

I'll have to try the third gear thing and see if that works cause I do live in an emissions state.I still don't understand why I had the current code before with no ses light.

----------

is it normal for the tranny to be Hot to the touch after driving.

Sure. Trans fluid runs about the same as coolant temps.

Quote Originally Posted by sts 03 View Post
    I'll have to try the third gear thing and see if that works cause I do live in an emissions state.I still don't understand why I had the current code before with no ses light.
    Once you clear the code and SES light, driving in third will prevent that code from popping up. But, it sure sounds like you need to have your tranny looked at. Because, what 'might' happen is a chain reaction of other tranny codes popping on. Alas, costing you even more $ in repairs. But, I guess it doesen't matter. Either way, at some point that tranny will have to be pulled apart. Ignoring it and driving in third will not make the problem vanish. But, driving in third will help you prevent the P0741 code to pop on for you to pass inspection. If inspection is months away, try to have your tranny fixed as it 'might' get worse.

Good Luck.....

even with the light when I do the brake test the rpm still jump

Correct. That's because the TCC solenoid is still working. You are probably not seeing as much of an RPM jump as you should.

Ghostsoldier is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Eldorado ESC; 1974 Dodge Monaco 440 Police package

Dammit....I'm a new member of The 741 Club, as of about a week or so ago.

My 2000 Eldo threw up the SES light around that time, but I just found the time to pull the codes. Like some other folks, I got the PO741 without the P1860 code, and the car has started to 'chuggle' a bit when I come to a stoplight or if I stop, idling, for any reason....like an ignition miss, but the tach doesn't drop much to look at it. I'm lucky that my state (Florida) doesn't require emissions tests, but I drive 52 miles round trip everyday to work, and I can't see me doing this in 3rd gear (especially with the price of gas nowadays ).

I'm going to try the lock-up test this afternoon to see what happens with the tach; and, since I've had the car (5 years now) and have a little over 200k miles on the odo, it's time I bite the bullet and confess that I have never checked the trans fluid level (yes, I'm an idiot and should know better ). I've got to drive it a few miles to let it warm up first before I do so, but I was wondering if low fluid would throw this code? I can't see where I need the TCC solinoid if I don't have the P1860.

Other than this, the car still runs fine, and doesn't seem to slip while driving....I have a few other codes, but they are minor, historical and aren't related to the powertrain codes. I'll report back when I've done my checks.

Rob

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.