Torque Converter Clutch (P 0741 TCC stuck off) - Page 13
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Torque Converter Clutch (P 0741 TCC stuck off) in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; The third gear is one of the normal operation situations. It's a 1:1 gear ratio, you will damage no components ...
    maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Re: Torque Converter Clutch (p0741 tcc stuck off)

The third gear is one of the normal operation situations. It's a 1:1 gear ratio, you will damage no components driving in third. You had other issues if the transmission is damaged by driving in third. Especially if you are just temporarily doing it for state inspections. Now remember that improper system lubrication/fluid flow/pressure can set a P0741 also.

Dave NYC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by maeng9981 View Post
    The third gear is one of the normal operation situations. It's a 1:1 gear ratio, you will damage no components driving in third. You had other issues if the transmission is damaged by driving in third. Especially if you are just temporarily doing it for state inspections. Now remember that improper system lubrication/fluid flow/pressure can set a P0741 also.
    Actually, it was not temporarily. I had to clear the OBD to remove the SES light with my handheld OBD scanner and had to drive the car (in third) so the OBD was in a "ready state" to pass inspection. I know you want to believe the answer to a P0741 is to simply ignore it and drive in third for the rest of the time you own a car with that code and I respect that. The bottom line is, once you get a P0741 code it has to get fixed quick to prevent further damage to the tranny. Driving in third will not fix your tranny problem or make the code vanish. Avoiding the code and driving in third will only cause more damage to the tranny. A P0741 has to be addressed as soon as possible. I think common sense dictates this.

Either way, a car with P0741 has to be addressed asap, to prevent a chain reaction of other serious codes to appear.....

You're right, a code could be set for many other reasons. But, if the car has several years on it and a lot of miles and the SES light keeps coming on with the same P0741 code, there is a 99% chance your tranny needs to be looked at and or repaired.

Call me crazy...

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

i think you're right dave ... a P0741 is a problem that needs to get fixed, but if you've also got the P1860 which indicates that it's the TCC solenoid and not an actual pressure/seal issue then you can probably get away with driving in 3rd for a good long while as maeng is talking about

either way i recommend the repair asap but in reality asap can be quite a while depending on the owner
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Makes sense Chris. Driving a car with a P0741, weather you drive in third or overdrive, you are still driving a car with a serious code and the more you drive it (weather in third or not) will of course cause more and more damage to the tranny once the pressure/seal, etc; is ruled out. Just driving the car itself with such a serious code is taking a huge risk if you ignore the problem. As you know, I already went through this. So, I know first hand. But, I learned and got it fixed.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave NYC View Post
    I tried the old driving in third trick with a P0741 code and it worked well enough to keep the SES light off so I could pass my yearly inspection. But, sure enough driving in third caused even more damage to the tranny, everything was melted (sensors etc. So, when a P0741 pops on. Don't try to by pass it with the driving in third trick. Does the manual say ...if you get a P0741 to drive it in third? No. Get your tranny fixed asap to prevent even more damage. Just get it repaired, it's a costly repair. However, it's an important repair. Common sense dictates this. I love my Deville and to me it was worth it. Because, my car would not be working if I did not bite the bullet and get the repair.

Good luck
    If that where the case GM would not have put a 3rd gear in the car. The manual DOES say to drive it in 3rd gear when towing or in hilly operations. Why doesn't that melt sensors and cause damage? I think you had other problems Dave. It wasn't caused by driving in 3rd long enough to pass an emissions test.

Yes, I agree. However....just driving the car...weather in third or overdrive will continue to cause damage to your tranny if you have a P0741 code (the manual DOES NOT say to simply drive in third when a P0741 code pops on). I simply drove in third to pass inspections. But, like I mentioned, just driving the car in general with a P0741 code will continue to burn out the tranny. I think my point was misconstrued. But now, I think you see what I am trying to say. The bottom line is, when a P0741 pops on and the car has some years on it and a lot of miles, the chances are that it is a tranny problem and that it should be looked at asap, before more damage happens, weather you are driving in third or not. I'm sure most would agree with that.

sts 03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 sts
    I got the p0741 code but no ses light what does that mean.I erased it haven't checked yet to see if it came back.when I do the brake/rpm test I see the rpm jump.fluid is fine.maybe fluid pressure.but code no ses light?

When my SES light comes on there is always the P0741 code. Never checked for the code unless the light comes on though. I can't imagine a P0741 with no SES light. That code should trip the light.

I know its weird but it was there current but no light and like I said when I do the brake test the rpm jump.

My RPM's jump with the brake test as well, just not as much as it used to. I can even feel the TCC lock up at 41 MPH. Remember, P0741 means that a TC slippage (more than allowed) has been detected, not that the TCC is not engaging. A failure to engage would also have a P1860 code (solenoid failure).

Ranger is correct...a code like that should trip the SES light. But, I have seen stranger things happen.

Mine started when I stupidly ignored a message on my DIC that said Service Transmission Soon. So, I pulled over, turned off the engine and that service message went away. I thought or was hoping it was just a glitch. A few months later, the SES light popped on and my OBD reader came up with a P0741 code and I cleared the OBD and it removed the SES light. Then a week before my inspection came up, so did the SES light and the P0741 code popped on. So, to beat and pass inspection, I reset the OBD, cleared the code and turned off the SES light and I drove it in third for awhile to make sure the OBD was "ready" for inspection. Right after I passed inspection, I started to drive in Overdrive and and BAM! The Code and SES light popped on and then I started to smell a burnt odor. So, I knew I had to get this looked into fast. The next day, I started up the car and put it in Overdrive and the car would not move. The engine was on, it rebbed up. But, the wheels did not spin. So, that was it. Due to ignoring that 'Service Transmission Soon' message caused the entire tranny to crash, burn and melt. Not to mention a bunch of other codes were triggered.

Live and learn.

So, if I were you, I would really keep my eye on that code.

Oh ok so if this code stays like this with no ses light would I still fail emissions.

Ahh, there is the difference (Service Transmission Soon). I get the P0741, but have NEVER seen that message.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by sts 03 View Post
    Oh ok so if this code stays like this with no ses light would I still fail emissions.
    Probably, if it is current, but without the SES light I am not 100% positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Ahh, there is the difference (Service Transmission Soon). I get the P0741, but have NEVER seen that message.

Like I've said, I have seen stranger things happen.

Quote Originally Posted by sts 03 View Post
    A code like that will make you fail Emissions...depending on the state. That is a pretty serious code. I know that NY state would fail you for a code like that. But, to prevent that code from popping on, clear the OBD and drive in third to prevent that code from popping on. But, make sure the OBD is in a "ready" state before inspection.

How do I make the odb in the ready state

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.