Torque Converter Clutch (P 0741 TCC stuck off) - Page 12
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Torque Converter Clutch (P 0741 TCC stuck off) in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by elizabear77 my check engine light just came on and i took it to auto zone n they ...
    Dave NYC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville

Re: Torque Converter Clutch (p0741 tcc stuck off)

Quote Originally Posted by elizabear77 View Post
    my check engine light just came on and i took it to auto zone n they pulled up that p0741 and toll me it was the tcc how do i kno if its just a sensor and were its it located
    That is not a good code to have. You should have that taken care of and or looked at ASAP. They say you can drive with a P0741 forever. But, these codes pop up for a reason. When I got the P0741, I had it cleared and the SES light did not come on. But, on my DIC I would get a message to "Service Transmission Soon." Then if I restarted the car that message would not display. A few months later, the SES light popped on and I got the P0741 and a P0717 and the transmission stopped working as my ISS sensor melted inside the transmission itself. It is like a domino effect as one code sets off an other and before you know it your transmission needs to be opened up. To get rid of the p0741 will cost a couple thousand...unless you know how to open a transmission and have the time and tools for it. Read some of the posts above yours and go backwards, scroll up and then go to page 11 then 10, etc, and keep reading the posts and you will come across the diagram of your problem.

Good Luck~

gkw44 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Seville STS

I have this code on my 2003 Cadillac Seville STS...120,000 miles. At 70,000 miles the torque convertor solenoid was replaced and then a week later under warranty the torque convertor was replaced. Now the current Cadillac dealer is quoting a $4,100 repair to tear down the transmission and replace these parts again. What are my options on this. I don't have a 'local' mechanic that I can trust to do such a job, should I try AAMCO and how reliable are they. I am at a loss to have to spend this type of money...why did these parts only last 3 years?
    Any help/advice would be appreciated. They tell me they might not have to replace all the parts, but won't know until they tear it all down.

Quote Originally Posted by gkw44 View Post
    I have this code on my 2003 Cadillac Seville STS...120,000 miles. At 70,000 miles the torque convertor solenoid was replaced and then a week later under warranty the torque convertor was replaced. Now the current Cadillac dealer is quoting a $4,100 repair to tear down the transmission and replace these parts again. What are my options on this. I don't have a 'local' mechanic that I can trust to do such a job, should I try AAMCO and how reliable are they. I am at a loss to have to spend this type of money...why did these parts only last 3 years?
    Any help/advice would be appreciated. They tell me they might not have to replace all the parts, but won't know until they tear it all down.
    I was in the same boat as you are in now. I did not have a local mechanic and I sure as hell was not going to have a dealer fix it. So, I had no choice but to go to Aamco. The more expensive a car costs, the more it costs to fix. I posted the below invoice a page or two back on this thread and most people agreed that the prices looked about right. Being I live in New York City, of course I'm going to pay a bit more than outside of the city. Aamco does a good job and they stand by their work, if something goes wrong, you can take it to any Aamco in any state while it's still under warranty to have it fixed. Since having the transmission fixed, the car runs like it did if it were brand new. Aamco has free towing pick up service if your car does not run.

Here is what you might be looking at if you decide to go with Aamco,

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

When the code appears alone without other codes it means there's a problem with the seals (which should have been replaced when they went in to do the solenoid 50,000 miles ago)

the recommended repair is a solenoid, a gasket kit, the side cover itself, a driven support, and the torque converter

the solenoid only replacement is for when p0741 and p1860 show up together (which is an indication that the solenoid itself is bad)

i would assume your solenoid is fine then but there are seals that at least need to be replaced

all the money in this job is usually in the labor so you might as well get as many parts as you can afford

we have a good relationship with our local AAMCO - i would suggest you at least get a quote from them

good luck
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

thanks, I saw the invoice, I have detail from the dealer and it is almost identical to your AAMCO bill. I live in a rural area, so will have to see if I can find an AAMCO to give me an estimate. I know they have been around for a long time, so they must be reliable. My big question is why do I have to have this done again after 3 years. Shouldn't Cadillac, even though different dealership stand by their work?

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    When the code appears alone without other codes it means there's a problem with the seals (which should have been replaced when they went in to do the solenoid 50,000 miles ago)

the recommended repair is a solenoid, a gasket kit, the side cover itself, a driven support, and the torque converter

the solenoid only replacement is for when p0741 and p1860 show up together (which is an indication that the solenoid itself is bad)

i would assume your solenoid is fine then but there are seals that at least need to be replaced

all the money in this job is usually in the labor so you might as well get as many parts as you can afford

we have a good relationship with our local AAMCO - i would suggest you at least get a quote from them

good luck
    Yes both codes are showing up according to the diagnostic that Cadillac gave me...so you say solenoid only, and they say complete transmission repair. They have given me detail of each cost..gasket kit $$311.72, cover trans case $346.54, Support drive sprocket $296.35, and Torq convertor $533.31....Total labor $2,440.00. When solenoid was repaired gasket and valve were replaced. A week later light came back on and they replaced the torque convertor but did not charge me for it, invoice says 'warranty', but not sure it was. I complained that they should have caught it in the first place when they did the solenoid repair.

89falcon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): my wife crazy, 1997 STS, 2004 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by gkw44 View Post
    Anyone know if a tranny out of a DTS "NHP" will work in a 03 STS?

if it will, I'd buy this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-C...item3efaf60a98

use the new trans and sell the new engine.....I'd say use the new engine also, but I understand that it uses a diff crank so the ignition won't work.....if it were just the fuel system (throttle by wire), you could swap intakes.....

In any case, GMPartsdirect.com sells a new transmission for about $2100.......why bother rebuilding the old one...something is making it fail...

Hmmm, it might easier said than done. I'm not sure I would layout 3K plus about $400 shipping for a part on eBay (does it come with a GM warrenty?). It sounds tempting. But, too many things could go wrong by buying an engine disgined for an other model car. Plus, how much would the labor be? Now if the car did not have an engine at all, perhaps that might be the way to go. The tranny is one of the most expensive parts to repair, due to all the labor it takes to pull it apart. But, look at your options. As it stands now, Aamco might be the best way to go. But, that is because I got good results with Aamco and my car is running like if it were brand new and Aamco's tranny work is under warrenty for 36 months.

Daniel DiPietro is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 cadillac etc

I disagree. I am removing a 4t80e right now and the owner thought that you can drive it forever with that code as well. sorry but that is b.s. the p0741 code stops the transmission from shifting into overdrive. that means if you try a long distance run like he did chances are you will fry the transmission. he tried driving from las vegas to southern california. he didn't even make it to jean less then a half hour away. could have been the heat of summer that helped but its mostly operator error. better yet it was a dumbass thinking it doesn't feel like something is wrong and ignoring the warning light and his mechanic telling him repairs are needed! come on people are you seriously not thinking or something? you all have one of the most well built cars in the world and you think you'll notice when something is truely wrong when the car is telling you something is! the car is all about driver luxury, its made to sheild you from the outside and maintain driveability when there is a problem. it has all those sensors, computers, etc.. to tell you there is a problem before its obvious in most cases. again if this code comes up and you drive it a few miles a month and never over 45 mph then yeah you might be able to drive it forever. however if you drive 50 miles a day on the freeway its a matter of time. remeber the p0741 can set when the tcc solenoid is in perfect working order, but the transmissions internal seals will be leaking and will fail completely in time. don't think so then roll the dice. don't listen to them listen to your $50,000+ car and fix it. by the way i'm a mechanic and i've had my own shop for fifteen years.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

P0471 Prevents TCC lockup not overdrive (which is 4th gear) ... something else was wrong with that transmission
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel DiPietro View Post
    the p0741 code stops the transmission from shifting into overdrive. by the way i'm a mechanic and i've had my own shop for fifteen years.
    Better study up on this transmission.

I have to agree with Ranger.

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Even if it prevented going into overdrive, driving in 3rd is considered as normal and will fry nothing. Manual also says that 3 can be used in everyday driving. The gear ratio is 1:1. By the way if the transmission does not shift into 4th then there is some other fault besides p0741.

Here's the exact word from the manual:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Owner's Manual
    THIRD (3): This position is also used for normal driving however, it offers more power and lower fuel economy than OVERDRIVE(D).

Here are examples for using THIRD (3) instead of OVERDRIVE (D):
    · When driving on hilly, winding roads.
    · When towing a trailer, so there is less shifting between gears.
    · When going down a steep hill.

cbishodr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '98 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

If I'm paying (or owning) a $50,000 vehicle that is supposed to be the epitomy of luxury I would be frustrated that it was built/designed with such a prevalent failure? When i was growing up, if you had a Cadillac you were somebody. Now, I really like my Cadillac, but when I'm paying for a repair that far exceeds the KBB or NADA value of the car then I'm probably not being very fiscally responsible. Of course, I have to remember the era when these cars were being built, we were in the good times of the late nineties and American automakers had not yet realized they were about to bring themselves to the brink of extinction. So the Big Three were spewing out marginal vehicles for the consumer (Chrysler has a like-in-kind Class Action lawsuit against them with their V6 engine from this era). The bottom line for me is, what's reality is it's a poor design to put relatively inexpensive sensors,switches,etc. behind $2000-$3000 labor cost. That is the corporation not proactively considering what might fail 120,000 miles from now and thinking about the guy who has to come behind them and try and correct the problem.If I pay that much for a vehicle that claims it is one of the finest luxury cars available , then I expect it to be engineered and designed to be basically flawless, I don't believe that is too much to ask from American automotive engineering. And , yes, of course, I am a proud card carrying member of the 'P0741 Club'.[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel DiPietro View Post
    I disagree. I am removing a 4t80e right now and the owner thought that you can drive it forever with that code as well. sorry but that is b.s. the p0741 code stops the transmission from shifting into overdrive. that means if you try a long distance run like he did chances are you will fry the transmission. he tried driving from las vegas to southern california. he didn't even make it to jean less then a half hour away. could have been the heat of summer that helped but its mostly operator error. better yet it was a dumbass thinking it doesn't feel like something is wrong and ignoring the warning light and his mechanic telling him repairs are needed! come on people are you seriously not thinking or something? you all have one of the most well built cars in the world and you think you'll notice when something is truely wrong when the car is telling you something is! the car is all about driver luxury, its made to sheild you from the outside and maintain driveability when there is a problem. it has all those sensors, computers, etc.. to tell you there is a problem before its obvious in most cases. again if this code comes up and you drive it a few miles a month and never over 45 mph then yeah you might be able to drive it forever. however if you drive 50 miles a day on the freeway its a matter of time. remeber the p0741 can set when the tcc solenoid is in perfect working order, but the transmissions internal seals will be leaking and will fail completely in time. don't think so then roll the dice. don't listen to them listen to your $50,000+ car and fix it. by the way i'm a mechanic and i've had my own shop for fifteen years.

----------

Ranger-

I'm really trying not to be ignorant here, but I am not seeing those 'sticky' post/threads "at the top of the forum page" on how to read your own codes. Please advise. Am I blind?

I tried the old driving in third trick with a P0741 code and it worked well enough to keep the SES light off so I could pass my yearly inspection. But, sure enough driving in third caused even more damage to the tranny, everything was melted (sensors etc. So, when a P0741 pops on. Don't try to by pass it with the driving in third trick. Does the manual say ...if you get a P0741 to drive it in third? No. Get your tranny fixed asap to prevent even more damage. Just get it repaired, it's a costly repair. However, it's an important repair. Common sense dictates this. I love my Deville and to me it was worth it. Because, my car would not be working if I did not bite the bullet and get the repair.

Good luck

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.