Torque Converter Clutch (P 0741 TCC stuck off) - Page 11
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Torque Converter Clutch (P 0741 TCC stuck off) in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; You can drive it forever with the P0741. The repair will be expensive. $2000 neighborhood I'm guessing....
    Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Torque Converter Clutch (p0741 tcc stuck off)

You can drive it forever with the P0741. The repair will be expensive. $2000 neighborhood I'm guessing.

Dave NYC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    You can drive it forever with the P0741. The repair will be expensive. $2000 neighborhood I'm guessing.
    I was not too worried about the P0741. But, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I started to notice that when I came to a red light, it took a few extra seconds for my car to catch up with the rest and I found the P0717 Input Speed Sensor code.

So, how long can I drive with P0717?

Thanks

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

There's another thread on this same question - Seville/Deville ^^^ ??

Your car may have defaulted to starting in 2nd gear. Watch the DIC gear indicator ???

Well, my biggest fear happened. With the P0717 & P0741, I had no choice but to take it in ASAP. I called around for several estamites and decided to go with Aamco. Here in NYC there are too many mamma and papa shops located in high rent areas. Just to take the tranny apart I have to pay. The closest Aamco is in The Bronx. I went to my car and it started up fine. When I put in drive, the engine rebbed, but, the wheels did not move, no matter what gear I used, including reverse. So, I knew I was in serious trouble. I called Aamco as they provide "free" towing.

After 2 days, they called me and said my Input Speed Sensor was completely melted inside my tranny. They said they never saw this before and my entire tranny had to be rebuilt. I believed it, as I never did anything to maintain my tranny for about 5 years. The cost is over 3300 bucks for the rebuild. If I took care of this problem much earlier, it would have been close to half...a lesson learned for me.

Aside from the tranny, the car is fine. I did everything, except maintain my tranny. I love my Caddy, I did not want to junk/sell it to buy a slightly newer one of the same modle. I could not afford it, I can't even afford this repair. But, I had no choice. My mother suffers from MS and can hardly walk. So, I need the car.

So, I'm going to stay ontop of maintaning everything on my car to prevent another costly repair.

I wanted to share the labor, parts, etc; to some of you seasoned Caddy owners. I want to know if this price jives with all the parts & labor. Remember, I live in NYC were a pack of smokes cost $12 to $14. By the way, the car runs better than it did when I bought it years ago. So, please let me know if the repairs make sense. Thank you.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Unfortunately, given the cost of parts at list price and your labor area, that invoice looks to be right in the ball park for the work performed.

I live in a semi-rural area with my neighbor, Charlie The Transmission Man, 200 yards up our dirt and gravel road. (Yes, he does run a transmission shop.) He says the invoice looks good - $700 too high for here, but OK for "big city".

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    Unfortunately, given the cost of parts at list price and your labor area, that invoice looks to be right in the ball park for the work performed.

I live in a semi-rural area with my neighbor, Charlie The Transmission Man, 200 yards up our dirt and gravel road. (Yes, he does run a transmission shop.) He says the invoice looks good - $700 too high for here, but OK for "big city".
    Thanks for the reply. I figured the work looked about right. I was friendly with the owner and he said he pays $26,000 a month rent for his shop. Plus, overhead, etc;. As for the parts, I was at their mercy. I live in Manhattan and the Aamco was in the Bronx, a 75 minute subway ride or a $25 taxi ride. So, it would have been too hard to find each part they needed on my own. Plus, I needed the car fixed quickly.

I'm not too happy with the price of the job. But, they did a solid job with a 12 month warrenty. I have to drive up in 10 days for a follow up (free), so they can check their work.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

yeah, looks about right to me... the only thing they could have done to screw you was replace parts that didn't need replacing
    (and i don't really know of a way you can catch them on that)
    one of the main reasons that trust is a key factor in choosing who works on your cars (or house or computers, etc etc)

and i'm not saying that i think they did that... those parts they replaced probably did need replacing as they're some of the more commonly worn out parts on these transmissions
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    yeah, looks about right to me... the only thing they could have done to screw you was replace parts that didn't need replacing
    (and i don't really know of a way you can catch them on that)
    one of the main reasons that trust is a key factor in choosing who works on your cars (or house or computers, etc etc)

and i'm not saying that i think they did that... those parts they replaced probably did need replacing as they're some of the more commonly worn out parts on these transmissions
    I was referred to this Aamco by a friend that has his cars worked on for years there. They saved 'my' old parts so I could inspect them. He had them in a milk crate. I'm pretty sure the old parts came from my car. He showed me the damage and some parts looked somewhat usable. But, on a job like this, it was better to go with new stuff. So, I trust this place a lot more than shops that had no rep.

Thanks for your input.

cool... that's even more encouraging
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

agavrysh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): deville `96

I have passed my emissions just by driving very carefully. I noticed that on any little inclines (with speed over 41 mph) with a foot barely holding the gas pedal my Service transmission light would pop up. Anyways, i drove until all lights would go out and passed the emissions. Right now, 2 month later, even driving "carefully" sometimes doesn't help, as it became worst i believe. However, when i drive in 3rd gear the service transmission and SES lights go off. I will take it to my friend mechanic shop to see what exactly the problem is and how much it's going to cost to fix it.

Book time is about 11 hours of labor to get in there to replace the parts... and another 11 to put it all back together

parts costs are nothing in comparison... some seals, fluid and a solenoid valve ... and anything else you feel like doing while you're in there - plus anything that the transmission tech thinks needs to be replaced

elizabear77 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 cadillac seville sls

my check engine light just came on and i took it to auto zone n they pulled up that p0741 and toll me it was the tcc how do i kno if its just a sensor and were its it located

Forget AZ and learn to pull your own codes. See the sticky at the top of the forum page.

P0741 alone is the converter, not the solenoid or any sensor. P0741 & P1860 are the solenoid.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...60-1998-a.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.