Torque Converter Clutch (P 0741 TCC stuck off) - Page 10
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Torque Converter Clutch (P 0741 TCC stuck off) in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I Freaking passed! OK, as you know I had that "0" or "O" still blinking on my OBD II scanner. ...
    Dave NYC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville

Re: Torque Converter Clutch (p0741 tcc stuck off)

I Freaking passed!

OK, as you know I had that "0" or "O" still blinking on my OBD II scanner. When I read that in NY state if two or more monitors were not "ready" I would fail. Being I only had 1 monitor not ready, I decided to risk it.

Here are the chain of events, My SES light came on and I bought an OBD II scanner to read the code P0741. I reset the OBD II and turned off the SES light.

I drove it in Third as suggested (to prevent the P0741 code to pop on) for awhile until all but one monitor was blinking on my scanner. I took it to the inspection center and they plugged in their tool that is connected to the state system.

After they got that reading, they put my car on the rack and took one of my wheels off. So, at that point I figured I aced the OBD readiness. Otherwise, they would not have taken the wheel off, then they checked the lights and turn signals, etc;. 10 minutes later I was told I passed and got the sticker ($37).

So, I'm really relieved!! That driving in third really worked!!

Thanks for everyone's help & advice-

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    I wonder if the 'O' is for Overdrive? you'll never pass that while driving in third... but i wouldn't start driving in D just yet - plus that would almost guarantee the light to come back on and the code to set
    It might stand for Oxygen or Overdrive. I tried to research it and I was thinking Oxygen. Nevertheless, I passed. Thanks for your previous advice.

Dave~

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

That driving in third really worked!!
    And this was on an '01. Good to know. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    And this was on an '01. Good to know. Thanks for the feedback.
    Correct an 01' Deville.

Also, it takes a very long time for that SES light to pop back on after resetting the OBD II, for the p0741 code. The scanner worked to turn the light off, and it let me know when systems were a go for inspection. The best 30 something bucks I ever spent (the OBD II scanner).

Yeah, mine hasn't returned in a while (but I'm sure it will). Conditions have to be just right for a system check AND the slippage has to be beyond certain parameters. If all those stars are not aligned, the code will not set.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Doesn't seem right that you should fail an emissions test due to a fairly minor trans issue - something that makes your trans work like all trannies worked before TC lockup came out in the early 1980s

Quote Originally Posted by tateos View Post
    Doesn't seem right that you should fail an emissions test due to a fairly minor trans issue - something that makes your trans work like all trannies worked before TC lockup came out in the early 1980s
    That makes sense. However, an SES light is an automatic fail and with a P0741 code it's a fail (in NY). So, by clearing the OBD, turning off the SES light and keeping an eye on my engine cycle status with my scanner, I passed. Otherwise, I would have to spend 800 bucks to 3000 bucks for a tranny job and the P0741 is not a chronic problem for me (knock on wood). But, not passing the inspection would have been a chronic problem, as I park on the streets of Manhattan, I would get an $85 ticket every day for an expired inspection sticker. I wish things were like they were back in the 80's and before. But, on the other hand, the OBD II helps pinpoint a problem or point you in the right direction in repairing a problem.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

I'm just saying, a trans problem has nothing to do with emissions. If I have an ABS code, or an AC code, that doesn't light the MIL - why should a trans problem, and a minor problem at that?

I'm just saying, a trans problem has nothing to do with emissions. If I have an ABS code, or an AC code, that doesn't light the MIL - why should a trans problem, and a minor problem at that?
    I fully agree. Unfortunately, the P0741 code eventually sets off the SES light and once that light is on, it's an automatic fail. Even though it has nothing to do with emissions. So, that code has to be cleared and the SES light has to be turned off in order to pass inspection (a drive cycle has to be done so all systems are a go and to prevent that P0741 to pop on and set off the SES light, driving in third for a complete drive cycle remedies this problem).

It depends on who you talk to. The EPA and tree huggers link it to emissions because it reduces that last bit of trans slippage, thus reducing RPM, which in turn burns less fuel. I know, I know, it's only about 300 RPM, but they will tell you every little bit counts and multiply that by millions of cars. Don't shoot the messenger.

Toddalin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Aurora

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    It depends on who you talk to. The EPA and tree huggers link it to emissions because it reduces that last bit of trans slippage, thus reducing RPM, which in turn burns less fuel. I know, I know, it's only about 300 RPM, but they will tell you every little bit counts and multiply that by millions of cars. Don't shoot the messenger.
    Agreed. The irony is that when they do the emissions test in CA, they run the car on the dyno at 5 mph and at 25 mph, neither of which would lock up the converter.

Also in CA all they care about is the emissions check. My Aurora had a bad radiator cap and was puking water all over the floor, but the test people didn't care about that and would not fail the car for that. The gentleman who said they went on to check his brakes after passing smog has more to worry about than we do in CA.

Hi friends,

As you know I have the P0741 code that I was able to by pass it, to pass inspection by driving in third. I was concerned about the inspection because I have to park on the streets on NYC and it's an $85 ticket everyday if you have an expired sticker and the weather was so bad here that I had a small window to get it inspected by using the drive in third method. Now I can address this problem at my leisure.

The other day I was noticing when I stopped at a red light, it took a few extra seconds for the car to speed up with the others. So, I checked for a new code and sure enough I have a P0717 code (Speed Sensor).

So, now I have no choice but to have this problem fixed, my SES light is not on (yet). But, it's only a matter of time before it will go on and I don't want to cause any serious damage to my transmission with these two codes.

How should I address this problem? I know this involves a lot of work and I'm on a tight budget and I have no choice but to have someone else do it for me, as I live in the city. I don't want to get robbed. I still need to drive the car to take my mother to the doctor and run a few errands before I have it fixed. So, how long can I drive with a malfunctioning speed sensor (along with the P0741) and how much would a job like this cost. This way when I call for estimates, I know what to expect.

Thank you for any advice you can give.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The VSS - Vehicle Speed Sensor - is on top of the passenger side wheel drive shaft housing. You can drive with the fault, but it will eventually cause other transmission problems - maybe second gear starts only (your lack of acceleration).

A local shop can replace it if you don't have common hand tools, but they'll want to get the list price markup on the sensor. otherwise, get in touch with Chris at RippyParts up in Vendors ^^ or search www.rockauto.com.

Thanks for the advice. But, I think we might be talking about two different things. Because, what you are saying sounds really easy compared to what I have read on the link below. Remember I have the code P0717 Input Speed Sensor). Please take a look at the link below and let me know if this is the same thing you are talking about.

Thanks..

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...placement.html

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Didn't read the whole post - my bad. The ISS is the worst sensor to replace - requires complete transmission removal and disassembly.

Thats OK.

I guess that I already have the P0741, that it makes sense to have everything fixed. How long can I drive with the car until get it all fixed and how much $ am I looking at?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.