aftermarket (granatelli/other) Mass Air Sensors?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, aftermarket (granatelli/other) Mass Air Sensors? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Ok, so i noticed that alot of people with (somewhat) modded cadillacs seem to have a granatelli or other performance ...
    fubar569 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 82 fleetwood - 97 deville

aftermarket (granatelli/other) Mass Air Sensors?

Ok, so i noticed that alot of people with (somewhat) modded cadillacs seem to have a granatelli or other performance MAF on the car.

there is no direct part for the northstar motor, however there has to be some part that works if other people have them...

First, for those that have them, did you notice a gain?

second, what part do you have?

third, i've heard that we have the same maf as the LS1 corvettes and a number of other vehicles. if this is true, then any one of those maf's should work...theoretically...

just looking for some input on this idea first...thanks guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

01STS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 STS

Re: aftermarket (granatelli/other) Mass Air Sensors?

Yep you are right the LS1 mass air is a direct replacment for the 01 up Northstar. I am using a Granatelli on my car and it picked up my et at the track. I went from a 15.7 ( I was on my 20's at the time ) to a 15.3 in the 1/4. Same day same temp just 35 mins later. Hoping when our track opens next week to see if I can get into the 14's with the stock 17 inch rims.

Quote Originally Posted by 01STS View Post
    Yep you are right the LS1 mass air is a direct replacment for the 01 up Northstar. I am using a Granatelli on my car and it picked up my et at the track. I went from a 15.7 ( I was on my 20's at the time ) to a 15.3 in the 1/4. Same day same temp just 35 mins later. Hoping when our track opens next week to see if I can get into the 14's with the stock 17 inch rims.
    the 01+? what about the 97-99 cars or thereabouts? mine specifically is a 97 deville and im looking for a possible alternative

EDIT:

searching GM parts direct has me scratching my head...it shows the 97 deville to use a different sensor than the LS1 cars, but the same sensor as the 92-2002 eldorado...which has a second part number for the sensor that is on the LS1 cars...so it SHOULD work? i dunno...if the 97 deville and the 2002 eldorado use the same sensor and the eldorado can use the LS1 replacement sensor i should be able to too...i'd assume...

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Keep in mind that Andy Granatelli got socked with the biggest consumer fraud fine in history by the FTC.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    Keep in mind that Andy Granatelli got socked with the biggest consumer fraud fine in history by the FTC.

that i'm aware of too...thus why i wanted to test the waters here before jumping off to buy one. i've heard of mixed successes with MAF swaps...some getting nice gains while others losing power...it seems like most of the dynos i've seen of modified northstars have an aftermarket MAF on them and seem to do well...but as you and i know that doesnt always tell the whole story either...just looking for a few positive (or negative) ideas to see wether or not it would be worth it to try...

Ekindler0584 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 SLS (Diamond White)

01STS. . . Did you reuse the MAF screen? Or did you leave it out?

Also, are you using the Granatelli part #350112? Was the plug an exact fit?

Quote Originally Posted by Ekindler0584 View Post
    Also, are you using the Granatelli part #350112? Was the plug an exact fit?
    i was wondedring the same things...his seems to be the only positive account so far and it seems to be a bit out of the norm...waiting for confirmation..

EDIT: FWIW i was just doing a search over on corvette forum in the C5 section (the maf's swap) and they are dead set against it...it makes me wonder...if the MAFs are the same or are compatible...why such different results? could be quite a few things...

And as a side note... I think we might have our Granatelli's confused here... I might be wrong, but do some research on it. Same name, different companies. No fraud from the one producing these MAF's.

Use the same year Vette mass air for your year Northstar. If you have the early years with separate IAT and Mass air plugs use the early Vette style. 01 and up cars, GM put the IAT inside the Mass air with 1 simple 5 wire connection.

DO NOT REMOVE THE STOCK MASS AIR SCREEN!!! If you think this is a cheap and easy way to give you horsepower is will cost you about 4 HP on the dyno. I have seen it may times and it always costs hp.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

And as a side note... I think we might have our Granatelli's confused here... I might be wrong, but do some research on it. Same name, different companies. No fraud from the one producing these MAF's.
    Same name, same roots, different divisions of the same consortium.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

01STS. . . Did you reuse the MAF screen? Or did you leave it out?
    It is not a "screen". It is an air flow straightener.

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

If you go with Granatelli the part number you want is 350119-C for the 01+ N*.

Now lets take a look at some recent information we've leaned, again.

What does the MAF control, or help control that you think it's going to make an improvement? If you're thinking AFR (Air Fuel Ratio) you're wrong. Air Flow, maybe? Wrong again. No one but no one has dyno proof that aftermarket MAF's do anything at all. That 4/10th of a second on the track can be anything. That could be the lost weight from the fuel you burned the previous run. Show me proof from a dyno and I'll listen.

We do however have proof that adjusting the AFR from totally lean to totally rich with NO affect on the HP output at all. The computer is to smart to be fooled by that. Not to mention there are several sensors involved most of which will compensate for the changed MAF signals and bring the car back to where it wants it.

Don't waste your money.
    Ownership:
    91 Brougham d'Elegance 350
    02 Deville DTS
    01 Deville DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

Yeah I picked up that amount because I burn 400 lbs of fuel in one run................

Quote Originally Posted by 01STS View Post
    Yeah I picked up that amount because I burn 400 lbs of fuel in one run................
    im not doubting your results, but they are so atypical of MAF swaps that it is hard to believe...you might have had a faulty MAF or an improperly calibrated one and the swap to a good one netted you those results...your story is one good one out of a mound of bad reviews we've all read...but if yours worked that well for you i am glad you got that kind of performance from it...i suppose if i got one used for a good deal it couldnt hurt but to try it for a couple passes...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.