Northstar hesitation
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Northstar hesitation in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I own a 2000 STS and am getting a pause when WOT. I keep getting a PCM P1106 code. What ...
    Raz
    Raz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Northstar hesitation

I own a 2000 STS and am getting a pause when WOT. I keep getting a PCM P1106 code. What does this code mean and will it cause the problem i am having?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: Northstar hesitation

Quote Originally Posted by Raz
    I own a 2000 STS and am getting a pause when WOT. I keep getting a PCM P1106 code. What does this code mean and will it cause the problem i am having?
    The code is for the MAP sensor and indicates "intermittant MAP high"...could definitely cause the hitch you feel in the acceleration. Likely repair is replace the MAP sensor. I believe if you take the silver top cover off of the engine the MAP sensor is directly on top of the intake manifold by the throttle body. It is a small sensor plugged into the intake manifold with a wiring connector/harness plugged into it.

Raz

Thanks for the reply. I went to the dealer and they changed the map sensor at my request. They pulled the codes but none were found. The car is still under warranty. Bottom line it runs fine even at WOT. I also cleaned the throttle body with gm cleaner.

caddydaddy is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

I had the MAP sensor replaced twice on my 2000 STS by 45,000 miles. Are they something that fail a lot on the Northstars?

Quote Originally Posted by caddydaddy
    I had the MAP sensor replaced twice on my 2000 STS by 45,000 miles. Are they something that fail a lot on the Northstars?
    No, not really. MAP sensor technology has been around for a number of years and they are pretty robust....not sure why you would have a recurrent problem unless there is/was a seal problem at the connector to the MAP sensor allowing some moisture to get in or something....anytime a sensor fails more than once like that I automatically start checking the wiring and connections. I am not aware of any MAP sensor issues on the Northstar on any of the models...

Raz

BBOB i noticed on the old sensor you could move it side to side (swivel it). The new sensor doesn't move. I don't know what type of seal they use but it is possible that is what is wearing out. On the 2000 STS the sensor is not under the cover on the plastic intake, but on the top of the throttle body where it connects to the intake manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz
    BBOB i noticed on the old sensor you could move it side to side (swivel it). The new sensor doesn't move. I don't know what type of seal they use but it is possible that is what is wearing out. On the 2000 STS the sensor is not under the cover on the plastic intake, but on the top of the throttle body where it connects to the intake manifold.

hmmm....anything is possible I suppose, but I don't think there is any issues with the seal on the MAP sensor. There isn't any motion or anything to make the seal wear per se so if it leaked it should leak from the beginning.... I'll ask around and see if anyone has heard of any problems like that.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.