Show off your Cold air intakes!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Show off your Cold air intakes! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I was thinkin' about going down into the wheel well for my cold air intake, has anyone done this? Anybody ...
    darien99 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

Show off your Cold air intakes!

I was thinkin' about going down into the wheel well for my cold air intake, has anyone done this? Anybody have pics of their's?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Show off your Cold air intakes!

Wheel well! Holy water injestment, Batman.

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Raze is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger

Ranger you crack me up dude...

weister42 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville Sedan

I think the factory air system is totally fine until the actual air inlet behind the driverside headlight, which is smaller than the rest of the system.

Someone here did a dyno with and without the entire factory air intake system and got a ~7HP increase though, so if you want you can just stick a cone filter in front of the throttle body and stick the MAF sensor in between. But that's kinda ghetto...

Water? What's that?
    I've been running my cai 4" above the ground on my neon for about 200,000 miles now, not a single problem, and it dropped .3 off the 1/4. Since we're restricted on the amount of modification available for these cars, we have to make the best of each one. I'm not going to settle for those ebay intakes and call it good. I did that on my Dakota and ended up going a tenth slower. So I made my own and went .2 faster. BTW- the Dakota took air from the wheel well stock, I don't think they were too worried about water ingestion.

Quote Originally Posted by weister42 View Post
    I think the factory air system is totally fine until the actual air inlet behind the driverside headlight, which is smaller than the rest of the system.

Someone here did a dyno with and without the entire factory air intake system and got a ~7HP increase though, so if you want you can just stick a cone filter in front of the throttle body and stick the MAF sensor in between. But that's kinda ghetto...
    Well I don't have to worry about the MAF. I was hoping to stick most of the cone into the original air passage area- perhaps open that up.

wydopnthrtl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I've enlarged the stock passages and when at the track add a 4" pipe that feeds from the grill. It's definately noticable over 60mph too. (dropped me about 1/10th and gained about 1mph in the 1/4)

Rich

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

I just put my factory air box back in. I was looking for something and I had it all apart when I realized my installation job left a lot to be desired. Mostly the fault of Volant providing no way to mount the box to the car, poor cable routing for the PCM, mis-drilled holes for the PCM bracket, and no way to make a tight seal to the pass-through.

SO I have a few things in mind. Most of the mounting got worked out today and I'm going to do something similar to the duct work thing that wydopnthrtl mentioned but I'm going to be more subtle and design something like the factory trumpet, just larger. That will all be integrated with the sealing solution I come up with.

In addition to those changes I am also going to work with internal baffles while I have a dyno available. I'm going to do a run with the factory box first, other reason I put it back in. Then with the Volant, then some trick baffling. Whatever puts down the best numbers is what we keep. Then we do it all over again when the exhaust goes on.

OH and BTW, going into the wheel well is a dumb idea. You'll suck water like crazy and the rotation of the wheel will pull air away form the intake during rotation. We are talking about Chrysler products above. The engineers over there are not geniuses.
    Ownership:
    91 d'Elegance 350
    02 DTS
    01 DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

Raze is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by codewize View Post
    We are talking about Chrysler products above. The engineers over there are not geniuses.
    The GM engineers aren't 'geniuses' either...

Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post
    The GM engineers aren't 'geniuses' either...
    Exactly. After actually working for both, I'd definatly say Chrysler has the edge in the engineering department over GM.

Quote Originally Posted by codewize View Post

OH and BTW, going into the wheel well is a dumb idea. You'll suck water like crazy and the rotation of the wheel will pull air away form the intake during rotation. We are talking about Chrysler products above. The engineers over there are not geniuses.
    So why haven't I (or anyone else with a Dodge) ever sucked water?

FYI Dodge does NOT have intake sealing problems on every V6 they ever built like GM does. Dodge does NOT have blower motor resistor problems on every 8-10 cars, and if they did they're easily accessable, unlike GM. Dodge does NOT have ABS problems due to corrosion like most of the GM trucks. Dodge does NOT have an intermediate steering shaft rattle AT ALL where GM does on vehicles all the time, starting under 15,000 miles. You hardly ever see swaybar endlink problems with dodge, again you can watch 10-15K mile GM's come in under warranty with that nasty front end clunk. I never seen a HD Ram come in with an a/c compressor exploding because the truck couldn't handle having a plow on the front. Working for GM I now see this biweekly.

I could go on forever. Point being Chrysler engineers may not be perfect, but they have a hell of a lot better idea of whats going then some other companies.

jadcock is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 2001 STS

Quote Originally Posted by darien99 View Post
    You hardly ever see swaybar endlink problems with dodge, again you can watch 10-15K mile GM's come in under warranty with that nasty front end clunk.
    You must be excluding the minivans. On the Chrysler minivan forum, that's probably THE most asked-about topic -- the swaybar end links and bushings that repeatedly fail. Our '03 has had three sets of both, in only 70k miles. Many others have the same story. Other than that, the van has been great. All vehicles have their own issues. It's nice that we have choices.

fubar569 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 82 fleetwood - 97 deville

Quote Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl View Post
    I've enlarged the stock passages and when at the track add a 4" pipe that feeds from the grill. It's definately noticable over 60mph too. (dropped me about 1/10th and gained about 1mph in the 1/4)

Rich
    i have nothing now but plan on something similar to this once my hand gets better...

i am also dreaming up a MUCH better solution to the traction control idea...tapping into the ETBCM or whatever is about next to impossible without major disassembly of the car just to get to it (least on my deville)...im thinking of doing a one-off and cutting into the wires in the wheel-well area for ease of install purposes...or doing 4 seperate modules located and mounted near each wheel well...

I was checking out the big area in front of the grille yesterday, I love that large amount of area!

Now if we could only route pipe from the tb to that area, we could hang a huge K&N cone in there.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.