Forgive me, but im looking for a few things (all chime in)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Forgive me, but im looking for a few things (all chime in) in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I'm back after a very long hiatus and just spent some time under the deville since we finally got to ...
    fubar569 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 82 fleetwood - 97 deville

Forgive me, but im looking for a few things (all chime in)

I'm back after a very long hiatus and just spent some time under the deville since we finally got to almost 60 degrees and sunshine today! fixed a couple wear and maintenence issues but i had some time to think about a few things...

EXHAUST: -
    this "crossover" pipe is dumb. some half-assed retard decided it would be a good idea to screw in the front manifold-to-crossover pipe bolts FROM THE TOP SIDE!!! there is zero to no chance i can wrestle anything up in there to get them out. it makes me wanna kill people

prospects for replacing the pipe are not good either. i would have to make a wide/thin oval/rectangular replacement and it would be going right under the oil pan and trans.

has anyone done this before with pics or a little review? it's the biggest restriction and consequently the hardest to eliminate in a truly easy/effective manner...

The rest of the exhaust after that could be done with an X section and dual pipes easily. there is plenty of room, espectially if you have torches and a welder...

Headers? doesnt look real easy front OR rear bank...i'm not even gonna bother...

What mufflers seem to be the most popular on the board?

INTAKE: -
    Not much going on here. totally stock now, but i keep hearing about modifying the airbox itself and going to a k&n panel filter in the process. I've seen a couple people describe this in scattered other posts but could someone detail that here for me? my car for reference is a 1997 Deville...

I see eldorado1 no longer does throttle bodies. Has anyone located a suitable supplier for these parts?

TUNING: -
    I see we are making progress on getting a performance tune for OBDII northstars as indicated by the very huge thread near the top of the list here. pricing is going to be close to 400 bucks though for 10-20hp and removal of speed limiters? all i really want is that 112mph limit gone - not that i go that fast on a public highway anyways

I don't see the tune coming into play till you change motor via port work, cams, intake, exhaust, etc...my 97 already requires premium so i bet there is little to gain for me.

FUEL: -
    Balanced injectors...what do you think about sending mine out to be tested and flowed?

just looking to corral all the ideas for simple gains up into one place. makes it easier to reference if you know what i mean

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Re: Forgive me, but im looking for a few things (all chime in)

You know I'd like to know, while were here, what does it cost to have a set of injectors flow matched and is it worth the money. I would be doing it on my 01
    Ownership:
    91 Brougham d'Elegance 350
    02 Deville DTS
    01 Deville DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

jadcock is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 2001 STS

I agree that it was pretty dumb threading the exhaust crossover bolts from THE TOP. That would actually make an oil pan gasket change a RELATIVELY easy job if that crossover were even half-way removable.

I didn't have all that much luck with a K&N filter on my '97 Seville, though I used a cone and not a panel filter. I was much happier with a paper air filter.

Quote Originally Posted by jadcock View Post
    I agree that it was pretty dumb threading the exhaust crossover bolts from THE TOP. That would actually make an oil pan gasket change a RELATIVELY easy job if that crossover were even half-way removable.

I didn't have all that much luck with a K&N filter on my '97 Seville, though I used a cone and not a panel filter. I was much happier with a paper air filter.

i plan on figuring out a way to get that crossover out of there. i just set myself back 4 weeks from accidentally shooting myself in the hand so i got plenty of time to think about it...

ok, i'd like to start a somewhat technical discussion on exhaust and how to best eliminate the crossover pipe.

i know due to clearance issues running a 2.25 or 2.5" pipe right underneath the pan is out of the question...

the area of a 2.25" single pipe is 3.976"
    a 2.5" pipe - about 4.90"

however running that right under the pan would be ludacris and you would have next to no ground clearance.

how is the flow of a rectangular section of pipe compared to a circular section? assuming the transitions were all smooth, would there be any penalty?

lets assume instead the pipe was rectangular in shape...about 4" wide and 1" tall...the area is 4" obviously or equivalent to a 2.25" pipe...would these flow the same amount of gas? or am i missing out on something here?

or would it be even worse of a restriction than the crossover pipe itself?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.