Low Refrigerant Msg: 2 or 3 cans?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Low Refrigerant Msg: 2 or 3 cans? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; To avoid "very low refrigerant" messages on my display, I decided to read up on this in the excellent Cadillac ...
    Henrik is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Eldorado 1995 ETC

Low Refrigerant Msg: 2 or 3 cans?

To avoid "very low refrigerant" messages on my display, I decided to read up on this in the excellent Cadillac forums. I then invested a few $s in a R-134a Retrofit, Charging and Measuring kit (Wal-mart: id interdynamics). To get the A/C pressure in to the "filled" blue zone on the manometer I had to add all 3 15 oz. cans. The system now works fine, the A/C blows cold and the message disappeared. Following the operation I came across a few websites where it is suggested to NEVER add more than 2 cans. Can someone please tell me whether I blew it or whether what I did was acceptable. Looking forward to the verdict and thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: Low Refrigerant Msg: 2 or 3 cans?

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik
    To avoid "very low refrigerant" messages on my display, I decided to read up on this in the excellent Cadillac forums. I then invested a few $s in a R-134a Retrofit, Charging and Measuring kit (Wal-mart: id interdynamics). To get the A/C pressure in to the "filled" blue zone on the manometer I had to add all 3 15 oz. cans. The system now works fine, the A/C blows cold and the message disappeared. Following the operation I came across a few websites where it is suggested to NEVER add more than 2 cans. Can someone please tell me whether I blew it or whether what I did was acceptable. Looking forward to the verdict and thanks in advance.
    You have a 95 as I recall...???? So you just added R134a to your system that already had R134a in it, correct.??? You didn't "retrofit" an R12 system to R134a...???

If you just added and the system is operating fine then you are probably fine. You would have to add several MORE cans of R134a to seriously overfill the system. Drive it and enjoy it and quite worrying. If it does develop too high a head pressure due to overfilling in very hot weather then the system will not be harmed...it will either vent or shut down the AC and set a code. Since the "low refrigerant" message was displayed the system was pretty low and it would have taken at least two cans to get it back to normal. There is a lot of leeway in the system fill volumes...one extra can will not push it over the edge.

Henrik is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Eldorado 1995 ETC

Thanks bbob, you are right (as is normally the case), I merely added r-134a refrigerant to my 95 ETC (born with r-134a if I am not mistaken). I have decided to stop worrying (until the msg pops up again 8=)).

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik
    Thanks bbob, you are right (as is normally the case), I merely added r-134a refrigerant to my 95 ETC (born with r-134a if I am not mistaken). I have decided to stop worrying (until the msg pops up again 8=)).

When/if the message shows up again just pop 2 cans in. R134a seems to leak down a little faster over time so it is not unusual to have to tune up the system every other year or so with a refrigerant add. You have the hose and adapter now so it is only a couple of $$$ to top off the charge.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.