97 Eldorado Fuel Pump gone bad?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 97 Eldorado Fuel Pump gone bad? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 97 Eldorado, 72,000 miles. The car wouldn't start, took it a friend's Honda dealership. They couldn't find ...
    SHLDON is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Angry 97 Eldorado Fuel Pump gone bad?

I have a 97 Eldorado, 72,000 miles. The car wouldn't start, took it a friend's Honda dealership. They couldn't find anything wrong and after recharging battery (which is 3 mos old) since I ran it down, it started up and ran for 2 weeks. The problem of no start again. The car turns but would not fire up. Towed it back, the Honda people cleared computer codes and it magically started, ran for 1 week and wouldn't start again. The message readout both times said "Service Fuel System". The first time they said maybe fuel pump was bad, but it checked out ok the first and second time at Honda. Now it wouldn't start again, same problem. I had it towed to Cadillac Dealer 40miles away, which I don't trust! They say the fuel pump IS bad. If the pump is electric, if it goes bad, doesn't it just quit? Or will it work off and on for periods of time? Can there be another reason gas isn't getting to engine? The Cadillac dealer here has such a bad reputation, but the other nearest one is 100 miles away. I feel stuck with them. Can they show me codes or something from my car diagnostic to verify the pump needs replacing. I hate to pay them $740.00 for something that's not broke! Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: 97 Eldorado Fuel Pump gone bad?

You can check for codes when the system is not operating by simultaneously pressing and holding the OFF and WARMER buttons on the climate control with the key on to activate the onboard diagnostics.

When the engine will not start try spraying a bit of starter fluid into the throttle body thru the PCV port and see if it starts. If it starts and runs momentarily on the fuel from the starting fluid then the problem is a lack of fuel and the cause could be the fuel pump.

Get a fuel pressure gauge and put it on the fuel rail. There is a schraeder valve on the rail for just such a purpose. A fuel pressure gauge can be cobbled up for $10 using an old R12 refrigerant charging hose (for the schraeder valve and hose) and an old gauge. See what happens with the fuel pressure when it won't start.

Did you replace the fuel pump relay in the relay center?? Possible source of an intermittant loss of fuel pressure.

The dealerships work should be guarantee'd. Get it in writing that they have diagnosed and fixed the problem and if it won't start again then take it back t them.....

There are detailed factory service manuals available from Helms that you can purchase/acquire and read up on how the fuel pump and system operates so that you can be knowledgable about it and troubleshoot it yourself and/or ask the correct questions to the dealership personell.

eldonova is offline Cadillac Owners Member

hi ,i bought the pump @ autozone for 250.00 paid my mechanic 100.00 to install ,i was there when he tested it ,it wouldnt oper.,it also would work sporadically until it quit.it really isnt that tough of job ,couple bolts ,couple harness wires ,couple lines,to uncouple.took them 1 hr total.i was there.
    thanx .

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Quote Originally Posted by eldonova
    hi ,i bought the pump @ autozone for 250.00 paid my mechanic 100.00 to install ,i was there when he tested it ,it wouldnt oper.,it also would work sporadically until it quit.it really isnt that tough of job ,couple bolts ,couple harness wires ,couple lines,to uncouple.took them 1 hr total.i was there.
    thanx .
    Several problems here.....first, that Autozone pump. Who knows what that is like.

Second, did you/he check the wiring harness to the pump CAREFULLY...??? The most common failure mode for a fuel pump is that it starts to short the windings on the armature out....all that "gas treatment" and "fuel system cleaner" has solvents in it that eat the insulation off the armature windings and cause them to short. So....the windings short, the pump draws more and more current and heats up the wiring harness in the tank and between the tank and the chassis. The wiring harness gets so hot that it melts the insulation off and looses connection/shorts out. The pump stops running. Replacing the pump corrects the pump problem but not the wiring problem. Need to drop the tank and check all that wiring. That is one reason that the production pump is supplied with a new sending unit and new wires.....they must be replaced also, in most cases. You might check the connector at the chassis to fuel tank connector first. Sometimes the connector melts and the pins loose contact or connection at that connector. Maybe you will be lucky.

OlManRivah is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

When it doesn't start, you might try tapping the fuel pump relay. If the relay is getting flakey ( relay winding or dirty contacts ) tapping it might cause it to function for a period of time. These things can cause intermittent problems. If it then starts, I'd replace the relay. Cheaper than fuel pumps.

How lucky do you feel?

Good Luck!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.