Eldorado Cooling System
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Eldorado Cooling System in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 96 Eldorado ETC. When in traffic, my guage reads 3/4. My mechanic says it should run in ...
    BeChillin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Eldorado Cooling System

I have a 96 Eldorado ETC. When in traffic, my guage reads 3/4. My mechanic says it should run in the middle. He has put a new waterpump, hoses, radiator, cap, and thermostat in and it still runs the same. I took it to the dealer and had the system flushed and new coolant added. The dealer stated the Northstars run 230 to 240 all summer long. Dealer al;so stated that the fans come on at the coirrect tempature. Do Eldorados have a cooling problem or am I juat over cautious?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Eldorado Cooling System

Normal running temps are 205 -215. Some run a bit lower and some a bit higher, normal on the gauge is at the 1/2 mark. 3/4 is high. Check the purge line. It is the 3/8" line that runs from the water pump housing to the top side of the surge tank. With the engine running (cold), pull the line at the tank. It should be spurting coolant. Flow will increase with RPM. If you have flow, quickly plug it back on and retighten the clamp. If not., locate and clear the obstruction as it will cause an overheat.

Thanks for the suggestion Ranger. I forgot to add this though (not sure if it matters). The car runs in the middle range of guage at idle. It ran for 20 minutes yesterday at my work and doesn't seem to get warm until I start actually driving it. I will check the purge liune tomorrow. Again, Thank you.

wydopnthrtl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

If it'll stay cool at idle.. I would suspect either an obstruction in the coolant passages / hoses.. or maybe the radiator isn't getting adequate air flow?

btw: I data logged my 01 eldo temps. It runs in the 205 area and the dash guage runs at the 12:30 o-clock position. NEVER goes higher.

Rich

JimHare is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!

Is it possible the temp sending unit itself is bad? Is this an item that either works (correctly) or doesn't, or could it be transmitting an incorrect number?

blunted is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '94 Eldorado , '12 CTS Coupe

Just any FYI.. practically my entire cooling system is brand new AC-Delco everything and here in NYC stop&go traffic on a hot day the worst it gets is about 230. Not sure where your from and your traffic conditions but a constant 230-240 is a little high for my liking. Do what Ranger said and also get your cooling system pressure checked. I decided to tell my mechanic to do it. just for the hell of it when getting my coolant changed and it revealed a leak in my radiator that I never noticed and could have easily overheated me in the near future.

Also, hows the condition of the metal fins on your radiator? If a good section of it is bent in or dented somehow that could obstruct air flowing thru it.

Radiator is brand new. I live in Phoenix and the temp here is already in the 100's. I checked the purge line and the belt and tensioner and all look good. the dealer supposedly flushed the system and put dexcool in, but when i checked the purge line my fluid was a light color green. I thought dexcool was orange. Did I get JUKED?

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Yup, Dex is orange. Green will work, but change coolant every 2 years from now on.

J.A.O. is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

My 96 ETC does the EXACT SAME THING. I too have had the radiator replaced and still no change. Every time I panic and have the dealer check the system, they always tell me they cannot find anything wrong with it. This includes the head gaskets by the way. I'm thinking that maybe the gauge is just very sensitive. I'm tempted to set the digital temp display, but I just never seem to get around to it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.