100,000 mile tuneup?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 100,000 mile tuneup? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; My 94 Eldorado is at around 86,000 miles but I put a lot of miles on the car quickly and ...
    peatea is offline Cadillac Owners Member

100,000 mile tuneup?

My 94 Eldorado is at around 86,000 miles but I put a lot of miles on the car quickly and expect to hit 100,000 miles this winter.
    I don't want to dish out thousands of dollars for a tuneup if it is not necessary. My car runs like new with no problems except for a minor oil leak.

What happens when the car reaches 100,000 miles?
    Does it stop running?
    Do lights flash?
    What should I expect?

Would it be feasable to do portions of what is required for the tune up at different times?

Thanks for any advice.

Pat

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Mad'lac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe
    A computerize voice from the dash starts telling you "Trade me in" over and over

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
    "This vehicle will self-destruct in 60 seconds..."

Nah, nothing happens.. Nothing at all.. I think you can get a full 100% tune-up at a Cadillac dealer for about $400.00 - it might be worth trying to save a little every week or two until the time comes. It would be a really good idea..

Keep in mind.. Maintenance is EXTREMELY important with Northstars.. Start putting a little bit away. You should pull into a Cadillac dealer and get one of those little brochures that mention what needs to be maintained and at what mileage intervals.. It's really important..

If you don't want to do this, you may want to give me your Cadillac.

Eldyfig is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
    Once you hit 100,000 miles, expect the service ride control message to appear. Besides your normal tune up items, you will want to do a fluid change/scavenger screen cleaning on your tranny. And since it is a 94, don't forget to change your coolant.

You can save a crap load of money, doing most of these yourself.

I never had a "service ride control" message come on.. What does that mean? You're supposed to replace all the expensive stuff as soon as you run out of the 100,000 mile warranty?

Eldyfig is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
    I wouldn't say you would have to run out and get this done and soon as you hit 100,000 miles. I would suggest a person be prepared for it. Start reading various Caddy forums on "service ride control." On average, the message seems to appear close to 100,000 miles. My Eldy only has 94,000. I haven't seen the message, but I will not be surprised when it comes.:lightbulb

yeah, it's probably a good idea to start saving to be prepared.. When you drive a luxury car like a Cadillac you need either a credit card with spending money on it or a good savings account.. Atleast after the warrantly expires...

playaman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Any idea on what "service ride control" means? Mine just popped up a few days ago. Thanks.

Edit: Nevermind. Figured it out.

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
    My 94 Concours now has 125K miles, and has had two ride control parts fail. The front ride height sensor and the right rear acclerometer.
    The ride height sensor failed around 90K miles, so the parts don't always last 100k!

Maximln is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS V8, 1SF, Tusc Lthr, Adptv Cruise, 18" Chrm Whls
    The "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" message means that there is a problem with your electronic suspension. It usually means that one of the 4 struts needs to be replaced and the cost for one of them is around $700. That's why so many people get scared of the message. If you had to replace all 4 struts, it would be around $2800!! The strut itself might be OK but the electronic portion that changes the damping will no longer function and the system usually forces all the remaining struts to the full firm mode which would change your overall ride. It can also mean that one of the wheel position sensors, accelerometers (which were built into the position sensors on later models), control module, steering wheel position sensor, or even the electronic level control system is malfunctioning.

To alleviate some stress, I traded in my 93 STS about 2 years ago with 180,000 miles on it and I only saw the message one time. One of the wheel position sensors basically went bad but I was able to order one from a Cadillac recycling yard for about $80 and worked better than the one I replaced (the ELC system never seemed to work properly but the new sensor made it very sensitive). It only took me about 1/2 hour to change it because I had to remove the rear tire. They don't always go out.

Max

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
    It's not always the shocks! I had my light come on three times, and it was sensors, not shocks!

Chuck C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    deleted

Chuck C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    My Service Ride Light is on too....been so for about 12 months.

When it first went on, I took it in right away (Feb '02)...the service dept didn't know what was up.

Around Oct '02, my car started making a metallic clicky noise when I revved the engine or accelerated quickly. I took to service again in late December. They said my car needed new stablizer links for ~ $400 total. They also said it wasn't that important, so I said the hell with it (too much $$$). I betchya the light will STILL be on after I get the new links but at least the sound will be gone.

My car has about 84k miles on it and I cannot afford for anything else to go wrong! I pray it woint be something crazy like what Max talked about!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.