new to forum
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, new to forum in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; first off, hello to everyone thats part of the forum. from what ive been reading you guys know a great ...
    chuckdobbins is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97 deville

new to forum

first off, hello to everyone thats part of the forum. from what ive been reading you guys know a great deal about these caddies.

i bought a 90 deville off a family friend/mechanic about a year ago when i was 18 for $800. the car now has 143k miles and can still strut its stuff. ive loved this car since day 1, before i even owned it. its been in for repairs just 3 days this last year due to a security failure with the transponder thing. needless to say i had a transistor put in place to bypass the security. very affordable to say the least. i just had it painted this winter cuz my trunk was 8 different shades of gray, looks great now.

the tranny i disliked from the start. 4 speed with rather short gear ratios. the shift to the final gear at 40mph can be a bit harsh at times. the worst is the shift into reverse, its more of a slam into reverse because the whole front end of the car rocks and makes a mean grunt. i have a small tranny fluid leak but im not sure where. before i spend the hundred bucks, would stopping the leak, and changing the fluid/gasket/filter help this fussy transmission?

the service engine soon light has been worrying me as of late. it goes on, then goes off. then it goes on, and off. it seems to go on and off during longer idle times, like at a busy bank drive through and whatnot. is this something to worry greatly about?

ive also been wanting to change the exhaust a little. my parents own a 99 deville with the 283 northstar and the dual exhaust looks nice, and is quiet. ive read that a camaro z28 exhaust will work, but is this a sure fit and will it be too loud? afterall, it is a "luxury sedan".

sorry about the lengthy post, i just love my cadillac.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

TimsToy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: new to forum

You need to check the posts in regard to pulling the codes from your on board computer. Once you have that figured out you can post the codes you receive here, or dig a little deeper and you'll find links to the trouble codes. That will give you a much better idea of what you may need to do.
    Best of Luck,
    Tim

Hippie is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by chuckdobbins
    tranny i disliked from the start. 4 speed with rather short gear ratios. the shift to the final gear at 40mph can be a bit harsh at times. the worst is the shift into reverse, its more of a slam into reverse because the whole front end of the car rocks and makes a mean grunt. i have a small tranny fluid leak but im not sure where. before i spend the hundred bucks, would stopping the leak, and changing the fluid/gasket/filter help this fussy transmission?
    I'd be having a pro look at that trans, that ain't right. The harsh shift on a 4T60 can be a sign of low engine vacuum or a vacuum leak, that might have something to do with your check engine light as well. Not saying that's it but worth checking into.

As far as "short" gear ratios I'm not sure what you mean........
    Gear ratios are:
    1st : 2.92
    2nd : 1.56
    3rd : 1.00
    4th : 0.70

It would have been nice if 1st wasn't so low and 2nd was a little lower for the Cads but that's what GM gave us. Final drive ratio in the differential is 2.73 combined with the .7 OD = 1.911 true final drive ratio.

That's a pretty wide spread and a pretty tall final drive

90devilleguy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 SLS & 1962 Coupe Deville

Quote Originally Posted by chuckdobbins
    first off, hello to everyone thats part of the forum. from what ive been reading you guys know a great deal about these caddies.

i bought a 90 deville off a family friend/mechanic about a year ago when i was 18 for $800. the car now has 143k miles and can still strut its stuff. ive loved this car since day 1, before i even owned it. its been in for repairs just 3 days this last year due to a security failure with the transponder thing. needless to say i had a transistor put in place to bypass the security. very affordable to say the least. i just had it painted this winter cuz my trunk was 8 different shades of gray, looks great now.

the tranny i disliked from the start. 4 speed with rather short gear ratios. the shift to the final gear at 40mph can be a bit harsh at times. the worst is the shift into reverse, its more of a slam into reverse because the whole front end of the car rocks and makes a mean grunt. i have a small tranny fluid leak but im not sure where. before i spend the hundred bucks, would stopping the leak, and changing the fluid/gasket/filter help this fussy transmission?

the service engine soon light has been worrying me as of late. it goes on, then goes off. then it goes on, and off. it seems to go on and off during longer idle times, like at a busy bank drive through and whatnot. is this something to worry greatly about?

ive also been wanting to change the exhaust a little. my parents own a 99 deville with the 283 northstar and the dual exhaust looks nice, and is quiet. ive read that a camaro z28 exhaust will work, but is this a sure fit and will it be too loud? afterall, it is a "luxury sedan".

sorry about the lengthy post, i just love my cadillac.

you can do the camaro style exhaust very simply just use the round metal tubes that connect the rear bumper to the rest of the car to make the elbows for the exhaust to stay in place. you could get a camaro's exhaust muffler like a stock one if you don't want it to loud but if you decide to go with a aftermarket muffler it will be louder then now, i have a edelbrock camaro muffler on my 90 deville and it's nice and quiet when crusing but when i open her up it turns heads. look at my pics in the deville section to see how my exhaust looks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.