Makes Me Happy!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Makes Me Happy! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; OK-- In response to the "Makes Me Nervous" tab, how about we 4.x owners share great stories about our engines. ...
    awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

Makes Me Happy!

OK--

In response to the "Makes Me Nervous" tab, how about we 4.x owners share great stories about our engines.

Post your story about a 300k 4.9 engine, or a 200k HT4100 (any out there that haven't been rebuilt?). Please honestly discuss any repairs you had to make to get your engine that far (i.e. water pump on the 4.9, head gasket on the HT4100, new trans, etc.).

I personally have owned a 91 Coupe Deville and currently own an 85 Coupe Deville. The 91 was great, gave me no trouble at all. I owned it from 65,000 miles to 79,000 miles at which point I had to sell it for funds.

I did replace the fuel pressure regulator which had gone bad. I've only owned the 85 for a few months, but finally have it running right! I discovered a weak coil was cutting my power. Now it's running like a top. The intake and head gaskets have been replaced.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

leftoverture is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Makes Me Happy!

My old HT4100 now has about 120k on it, my son owns the car now. The intake gasket had been replaced by the previous owner, otherwise it hasn't had any major work done. I rebuilt the fuel pressure regulator, put in a new fuel pump, an alternator, and did plugs and wires, etc. Had to replace the lock up solenoid in the tranny (a very easy job for the do-it-yourselfer, by the way). My son reports that the A/C compressor is out now, the previous owner had replaced that about 5-6 years ago.
    Overall, considering the car is 24 years old (it was built in January 83, so really it is 24 years old this month!), I think it has held up very nicely over the years. I would not hesitate to buy an HT4100 car again, at least if I knew it had been well-maintained.

behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Mine hasnt hit that mileage yet, just shy of the 97k mark but since I got it about 15k miles ago the only thing I had to replace was the starter, and the cap/plugs/wires

92EldoTC is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Ex:'92 ETC 4.9 Current:'91 Sedan Deville 4.9

my 4.9 has almost 163,000 and still running strong.
    needs a few minor things done to it like plugs and wires, fuel pressure regulator but other than that It doesnt make me nervous when I take it on the freeway or on long trips.
    Just changed the coolant with the tablets and its almost due for another oil change according to the OLM.
    Transmission still shifts like it supposed to.

caddeville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1991 Deville / 1989 BMW 635csi

My 87 deville 4100 has 99,000 miles never a problem, and my fathers old 87 deville (new owner now) its still gong strong on a factory 4100 with 186,000 miles (we got it with 95,000 miles in 1997), i know because i maintain (clean/polish) the car for the owner who is a collector of cadillacs (has 18 caddies).

noahsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 SDV

'87 DeVille - HT-4100, 54K, but going for 200K! Owned since May, '05.

It had intake gaskets done just before I bought it. I've replaced the A/C compressor, coolant fans module, heater fan module - all the common failure stuff - maybe $1300 in total parts and repairs. Runs like a watch and has never let me down. I have never thought this car to be underpowered. It seems very well balanced to me, but then I stopped doing smoky burnouts 20 years ago.

Some people think the mid-80s C-body Cadillacs were ugly and not 'Cadillac-like.'
    Personally, I think they're elegant, supremely comfortable, offer a great ride and handling, and they get 25+ mpg on the highway. If I can have all that for less than the down payment on a DTS, you bet I'll take it.

militantsquirrel is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 90 Sedan Deville

I posted in the "makes me nervous" forum about my 4.5 with 315,000 on it (original engine and trans). It's a hand me down car when the folks got a new car, primarily because a car that had, at the time, 270,000 miles had little resale value.

They bought the car when it was 3 years old and had around 30k on it, and about the only thing I can remember it being in the shop for, besides tune-ups and such, was for a new set of injectors. Just recently I had to put a new half shaft in, and I had the air pump seize on it. It does need a new starter too, but for a car with that kind of milage I can't complain.

86cadman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1986 Cadillac Sedan DeVille, 1998 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

86 Sedan Deville 180K, HT4100 originial engine. Owned for 21 years, bought before I was born, 2 owners, my father, then myself.

Nothing "major" done to it, just tune-ups for the first 19 yrs of life. Last few years though had to replace the radiator+ upper hose, fuel pump, fuel tank, rotor, caliper. Nothing else. Clearcoat is starting to come off in a few places, but I am getting it repainted this summer so that doesn't really matter.

I'm a pretty spirited driver, and IMO I don't think this car lacks power at all, the only time it is kinda sluggish is if I take off from a stop up a steep hill, but thats to be expected. Handles wonderful and smooth ride. My only gripe with it would be the small brakes...I mean who puts small brakes on a 4000+ lbs car?

Wow! 180k on an original HT4100 without a camshaft replacement. Correct me if I'm wrong, but an 86 Cadillac only weighs about 3350 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by awadecki View Post
    Wow! 180k on an original HT4100 without a camshaft replacement. Correct me if I'm wrong, but an 86 Cadillac only weighs about 3350 lbs.
    Actually, the 86 Sedan DeVille weighs 3298 lbs. The HT4100 got a power bump that year to a whopping 130HP and 200 ft-lbs or torque.

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

I will assume that you saw my fascination with the 4.5 in the 'Makes me nervous' thread.
    Ownership:
    91 Brougham d'Elegance 350
    02 Deville DTS
    01 Deville DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

86cadman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1986 Cadillac Sedan DeVille, 1998 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

It was just a guess, but still they could have put on some bigger/better brakes for a full size sedan.

Never had a problem with the camshaft, or any other engine issue, just accessory things. The GM Sealant Tabs were never used in it either. One more thing, the AC doesn't work anymore mainly because I can't find the R-12 refridgerent, so Hi Fan only works fine for me.

I just think it's interesting that an 86 "full-size" Cadillac weighs less than today's VW Jetta, and similar weight to a Chevy Cobalt.

Personally, despite the paltry 125hp in my 85, I think the power really is just fine. It's no rocket, but now that I fixed the coil, it's more than enough for regular driving and passing.

I just think it's interesting that an 86 "full-size" Cadillac weighs less than today's VW Jetta, and similar weight to a Chevy Cobalt.

Personally, despite the paltry 125hp in my 85, I think the power really is just fine. It's no rocket, but now that I fixed the coil, it's more than enough for regular driving and passing.
    There's a lot of equipment that newer cars have now that cars didn't have back then. I always found the HT4100 plenty fine for regular driving, except if you want to pass someone on a two lane. . .

behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Quote Originally Posted by leftoverture View Post
    There's a lot of equipment that newer cars have now that cars didn't have back then. I always found the HT4100 plenty fine for regular driving, except if you want to pass someone on a two lane. . .

True that new cars have more bells and whistles, but show me a new car with as much metal as theses Cadillacs, seems like the metal would outweigh the bells and whistles newer cars have.

I wish I got the chance to drive my parents 4100, it was sold just a few years before I got my license, All my driving has been on the 4.9 which is plenty powerful for me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.