Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  lochenjons 
#1 ·
I have noted that every day i come to the forum, Someone is posting a problem or downright catastrophe! That in itself is not a problem, This is THE place to get advice and myself, I learn a lot and in some cases hope to help.....BUT I am wondering if its just that we only post when there is a problem and being there are lots of Cadillac owners on the forum..Chances are that problems are posted on a regular basis.

Wouldnt it be good to hear..."I just drove my car for the last XYZ amount of miles without anything going wrong!" (and hopefully that XYZ amount is over 10k) :)

Makes a fella nervous lol

#2 ·
Consider this:

The people who post problems are posting problems mostly on used cars that have been around for quite a while. That in of itself should be encouraging because the cars are still in action. That said, keep this in mind: used cars = used car problems, no matter what their make is.

Another thing to consider, this is a technical board first and foremost, so people from all over the country are going to be posting their issues for whatever reasons.

Enjoy your ride and stop scaring yourself! :eek: :p

#3 ·
I drove my '87 DeVille almost 7000 miles this year, with zero problems. And that's with the dastardly HT4100 under the hood.

You're right, this place tends to be a lightning rod for bad news. But there's no sense in worrying your way to the next bridge you may have to cross. Just enjoy the drive.

#5 ·
I drove my 93 Brougham 140k over the last 6 years and have almost 0 problems.

I think the water pump was done at some point, the shocks were done just after buying the car at 70k and the intake gasket.

That's a pretty good record if you ask me.

My 89 STS 220k the only major work was AC compressor, intake gasket, belt tensioner. I bought that also with 70k on it 12 years ago.

My 01 DTS i bought last Feb with 24k on it, drove it now to 42k with no issues. I did change the front motor mount right after purchase and there's a minor half-case leak also but I guess that's normal

#6 ·
I just signed up to these forums and have been finding alot of usefull info, the car that I have now is a 1990 sedan deville with the 4.5, and it has about 315,000 on it. So far this has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned (in fact it's the only vehicle I've owned to make it over the 300k mark) We bought the car with around 30,000 on it, and I've had very few repairs.

#8 ·
Don't have my Coupe DeVille anymore, but my son owns it now and at about 120k the old HT4100 is still running strong. Actually, the 4100 is a pretty reliable unit if it's properly maintained (won't win any drag races though). I actually find myself wishing I hadn't sold it to him now, I miss the car alot!

#9 ·
I personally find the 4.5 to be a very reliable drive-train. In addition I would also like to add that the 93 - 96 generation Fleetwoods, discussed in another thread, are among the most reliable cars ever made.

#10 ·
You mostly see problems on this type of forums because people don't just spontaniously come here and post "my car works great" messages. Most only post here when they have problem and they're lookig for help.

Sort of like if you were trying to look for positive messages in the Complaint Deparment.

But from time to time you'll see someone start "my car works really well" thread. But overall, the ratio of problem vs. no-problems messages is quite high.

Peteski

#11 ·
If you want raise the ante on your anti-anxiety drugs -- buy a BMW!

I am on my seventh FWD Cadillac, all purchased with low mileage -- under 50,000 miles and at least four years old, and nothing catastrophic has ever happened before 135,000 miles. I usually got 160,000 miles out of the 4.9's. Nothing is as cheap to buy or as valuable as a used Cadillac. We wouldn't be on this forum if we couldn't fix them.

It is all the damn little things -- water pumps, shocks, power steering pump, window motors, switches, oil and transmission cooler lines, A/C compressors, HVAC programmers, brake calipers, alternators etc. Never a transmission, head gasket, valve train, throttle body, fuel pump, fuel injector, CV joint boot etc. Catastrophic failures seem to belong to the japanese wonder cars.

Remember -- God only gives Cadilacs to those who can afford them, and those who can fix'em !

As you drive through Western Nebraska, you are only a few miles away from service, while in your Mercedes you are only a couple hundred miles away from factory service !

#12 ·
Good post! You are right, I actually started this thread with the intention of a little humor...But also a little tiny concern.

But i bought "Great White" with the idea of having a cash paid for,Reliable car that had some style to it.....Mission accomplished! A few little things here and there so far, But extremely happy with the car! I specifically looked for a 90`s Cadillac too.

#13 ·
yes definately things are going to go wrong, but it also matters who the previous owner was. if it was a little old lady who only drove it to church on sundays then your problems are going to be miniscule. but if it was poorly treated, the problems are going to be worse. ive put about 10k miles on my '85 brougham with the 4.1 and now its got about 115k on it. just do regular oil changes and tune ups when necessary and itll go forever!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.