Interesting comparison.....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Interesting comparison..... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; In trying to get a feel for what I can expect performance wise from my 4.9 powered Monte I did ...
    Hippie is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Interesting comparison.....

In trying to get a feel for what I can expect performance wise from my 4.9 powered Monte I did some comparisons to stock vehicles I have had experience with in the past. One of those was a good friend's then new '85 Monte Carlo SS. The '85 SS Montes weighed right at 3400 and were equipped with the L69 305 HO which was 9.5 to 1 compression and rated at 180HP @ 4800 RPM and 225 LbFt @ 3200 RPM, the 200-4R OD, a 1900 stall torque converter and a 3.73 differential. 0-60 averaged about 7.9 seconds with an average ET in the 1/4 of 15.9. I remember riding in my friends and recall that it "felt" pretty darn quick for what it was. Not fast but definitely fun.

A stock '95 Monte Z34 averaged almost identical 0-60 and 1/4 mile performance, maybe a tenth or so quicker. My '95 Monte weighs around 3400 Lbs and currently has a FDR of 3.43 but I have been advised even this may be too low for the 4.9's likings, we shall see 'cause it's stayin'. As we all know the 4.9 is also 9.5 compression and is rated 200HP @ 4100 RPM and 275 LbFt @ 3000 RPM. More HP and TQ than the 305 HO and at a lower RPM. Hmmm, this could be VERY interesting.......... it may not be a great 1/4 mile machine but I can see 0-60 being a WHOLE lotta fun !

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

Re: Interesting comparison.....

keep ua posted ive heard of 4.9s swapped into 1gen luminas but never the 2nd gen lumina-carlo stuff

i belive domestic performace has the swap kits if im not mistaken

Hippie is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Interesting comparison.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneage_Caddy
    keep ua posted ive heard of 4.9s swapped into 1gen luminas but never the 2nd gen lumina-carlo stuff

i belive domestic performace has the swap kits if im not mistaken
    The 1st Gen swap IS more common, but I'm not sure why it's no easier if anything the 2nd Gen looks easier to me. Motor Trend had an article on a Red '95 Z34 with the 4.9 back in '98, 2 employees of the Chevy Race Shop built it. It's a 99% bolt in with off the shelf parts most of which came with my motor or are already on the Monte. I just need the time and money for the mods I want to make, I never seem to have both at the same time. The same car was also written up in Hot Rod around the same time. I'm swapping a '95 motor into a '95 car and except for changing the connector on one harness and some custom fluid lines it is a straight bolt in. If I kept the Cad's final drive the only change I would have to make is to disable the pass key system, as it is I need to recalibrate for the 3.43 FDR. All my gauges, ABS ,everything will run off the Cad ECM. The 4.9 is lighter than the current 3.4 and has more room at the firewall and radiator ! A little less less horsepower albeit at around 1800 RPM lower in the power curve but 60 more FtLbs of peak torque about 1000 RPM lower in the curve with no other mods.... I like torque.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.