Help! Caddy died and won't start
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Help! Caddy died and won't start in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I was in the middle lane, I poked the accelerator to get up to speed to get into my lane. ...
    LacSeville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Help! Caddy died and won't start

I was in the middle lane, I poked the accelerator to get up to speed to get into my lane. i got in the lane, and my car died suddenly. it didn't stumble around or choke, just died. I coasted to the gas station, and tried to crank it. First time, it didn't turn over, like it was binded, then I tried again, and it spun freely. It doesn't really sound like it has much compression or something. It's getting fuel alright. I took the rotor cap off and it looks pretty charged, but it's been doing fine. I scraped the crap off and put it back on, but it still wouldn't start. But I wouldn't think that would cause it to suddenly die anyhow. Oh geeze, I'm sooo broke what are you guys' opinon?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

LacSeville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Help! Caddy died and won't start

no one has to reply to this. I've got plenty of ideas to try tomorrow!

TimsToy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Let us know what happened when you figure it out.

aguthmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 1998 Seville STS, 2001 Seville SLS

[QUOTE=LacSeville] It doesn't really sound like it has much compression or something. QUOTE]
    Hmm. Take the rotor cap back off. Have someone crank the engine while you watch the rotor. If it doesn't spin, your timing chain broke or slipped off. I know that's rare, but it's possible. That would explain the loss of compression. Otherwise it sounds really strange.

JoeBleed is offline Cadillac Owners Member

With it binding up like it did the first time i would highly guese that the timing chain broke. does it pop back into the intake any? you may want to take one valve cover off and have some one turn the engin over and see if valves move. i can't rember if the distributer runs off cam or crank. i realy don't rember.. i know when my timing chain broke my car died just like yours did.

please post back would like to see what you come up with.

good luck

EDIT:: i check wtih a friend quickly.. taking the distributer cap off and watching should work. it is driven off cam and oil pump is drive off of it

waynev is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My 86 Deville did the same thing a week ago. Like was said, pull the cap off and check if the rotor is turning. Mine would turn and then not turn. The distributor gear was worn down halfway around. Sometimes it would catch and sometimes not. Replaced the distributor with one from the wrecking yard and it runs fine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.