Where Can I get some chips......
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Where Can I get some chips...... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; On my crusade to work on improving the vehical I got, and trying to create the vehical I want, I ...
    johnplara is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Green Goblin Sedan Deville with the heart of a 91

Where Can I get some chips......

On my crusade to work on improving the vehical I got, and trying to create the vehical I want, I want some information on chips, basicaly something that will make a 4.9 or older OBDI 1 northstar roar like a beast. Some performance chips are definately in order for the ECMs, but after looking around on the net, I am not sure which ones to try. So therefore I would love some input here. Hopefully I will be done sone with my rebuilt 4.9 as well, he, he, he. Also, what upgraded rocker arms should I use for the head. What should I really focus on beefing up on a 4.9.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AllCads is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Re: Where Can I get some chips......

I do not know about chips. The only thing that really appeals to me is the speed limiter is gone.

If you are going to rebuild the engine I would suggest something like this. www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.shtm I have did this on a non Cadillac before. Kind of kicking myself in the ass after I found this on some old thread searching because I could have did it myself. I have a pair of heads and intake obtained from the junkyard for under $100 for all three. I have this slated to be started and completed some time in the next year. I have seen dynos that put this upgrade in the 40-60HP gain. That is huge. I still am trying to put together a plan of attack for the rest of the heads. I may go with some chevy springs so that the upper end will not lag as much. Still have alot of blanks to be filled in on this but figured I would throw it out there for you.

The timing can be advanced. Mine was 4*. You can feel alot more pep off the line and better MPG in my case. Not sure of actuall improvement numbers. You will have to run premium gas with this.

johnplara is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Green Goblin Sedan Deville with the heart of a 91

Sounds good. As I continue my oddssy into rebuilding a 4.9 just for practcice with this junkyard one I got. Getting the Speed limiter knocked out though is a very high priority.

AllCads is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

The limiter gone in my book is a must too.

I am trying to figure out everything that is going to be changed in the computer before I get one. The Final Drive Ratio in my car is probably going to go from a 3.33:1 to a 3.77:1 which will have to programmend in. Unsure on the rest yet. Really do not even know where to start on this one for a custom chip.

Ghost C is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '91 Sedan DeVille Silhouette Special

Ah peformance chips, where to start... There is only one company that offers an off the shelf chip for the 4.9's and it's fastchips. They cost over $150 and do precisely two things - Removes the speed limiter, and advances the timing. We can do one of those at no cost, so you have to think if removing the speed limiter is worth the pricetag. There are people out there who can program custom chips for you (specifically for 4.9 ECM's) but that will cost you too, but it is a far better option than paying $150 for an off the shelf chip. There's a certain 4.9 performance guru on this site working on hacking the ECM, but last I heard he still needed a few things to complete his setup.

Now, I have a question. Why do you feel you need to go faster than 112mph? Do you have the suspension upgrades, tire upgrades, brake upgrades, etc? Do you really want to know what 200+lbs of lift feels like? I strongly advise anyone considering removing the limiter of any of the 4.9 cars to consider these points. When all is said and done, I myself intend to remove the limiter, however the transmission I'm swapping to will gear-limit the car to 140, and my car will have more than adequate aerodynamic and suspension tuning to cope with those sorts of speeds.

Please don't go kill yourself because you wanted to go faster. The highlight of 4.9 cars is not their top end anyway, it's their ability to smoke anything off the line.

aaronrus is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Does anybody have a superchips or a fastchips programmed chip for there 91-92 seville/eldorado or deville with the 4.9L v8? i emailed both companies about availability, and they no longer offer them, PLUS, they wantd $200 for theirs, when they had them in stock. If ANYone out there has a performance chip and would be willing to work with me, i can duplicate them cheaply for about $50 for anyone who wants one for their car, i would just need to get ahold of an actual chip so i could copy it for use with my programmer. whomever provides me with the chip, i would make them a duplicate chip for free so that they would have a backup incase they ever had computer damage. please email me at :

stickpony@gmail.com

thanks for your time,

Aaron

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.