4.5 engine ticking noise???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.5 engine ticking noise??? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Every since I had bought my caddy there has been a ticking noise in the rear of the engine and ...
    90devilleguy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 SLS & 1962 Coupe Deville

Unhappy 4.5 engine ticking noise???

Every since I had bought my caddy there has been a ticking noise in the rear of the engine and i couldn't tell whether it was the egr or the A.I.R Pump or the exhaust manifold cracked or if it was just a lifter noise. well i had my friends dad who's a mehanic for a long time and he used a stepescope to find the noise and it was found to be in were the valve cover is on the right side of the engine. he said it probably a lifter sticking. well the question is has anyone sucessfully gotten rid of a lifter noise by adding a additive like slick 50 synthetic treatment for example. i figured 20 bucks it must be good but i told my self to ask the forum first, i'm stumped how my engine with 92,000 miles on it has a lifter noise and that the oil cleanliness of this engine is golden not brown or black but golden, how is this possible? I am currently running Mobil 1 synthetic oil 10w-30. My Goal is to keep these car for a long time and the condition that it's in is almost flawless. if there is no solution other than ripping off the valve cover and all the crap on top of it to tighten down the lifter(s) how much would this cost by a mecanhic and if possibly how hard is it to do by my own.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ckucia is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: 4.5 engine ticking noise???

One possible cause of ticking lifters is low oil pressure. They're hydraulic and without sufficient pressure they won't be pumped up.

If this were the case, I'd suspect more than one would tick, but if you're borderline on the pressure or one of the lifters is sticking then who knows.

If you have an oil gauge, it might be worth hooking it up to verify that the pressure is within specs. I never trust the sensors, as they can fail or be inaccurate over time.

Does the ticking go away at higher RPMs? The oil pump generates higher pressure at higher RPMs and sometimes this will pump the lifters sufficiently to stop the ticking.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Quote Originally Posted by 90devilleguy
    Every since I had bought my caddy there has been a ticking noise in the rear of the engine and i couldn't tell whether it was the egr or the A.I.R Pump or the exhaust manifold cracked or if it was just a lifter noise. well i had my friends dad who's a mehanic for a long time and he used a stepescope to find the noise and it was found to be in were the valve cover is on the right side of the engine. he said it probably a lifter sticking. well the question is has anyone sucessfully gotten rid of a lifter noise by adding a additive like slick 50 synthetic treatment for example. i figured 20 bucks it must be good but i told my self to ask the forum first, i'm stumped how my engine with 92,000 miles on it has a lifter noise and that the oil cleanliness of this engine is golden not brown or black but golden, how is this possible? I am currently running Mobil 1 synthetic oil 10w-30. My Goal is to keep these car for a long time and the condition that it's in is almost flawless. if there is no solution other than ripping off the valve cover and all the crap on top of it to tighten down the lifter(s) how much would this cost by a mecanhic and if possibly how hard is it to do by my own.
    Put the car in gear and do a light brake stall against the torque converter by holding the brakes. If the "tick" gets noticably louder under some load then likely it is an exhaust leak .... probably from a cracked exhaust manifold. An exhaust leak from a cracked manifold will have a very metallic, harsh sound just like a bad lifter tick. Lifters , though, don't really know when you load the engine so a ticking lifter will not make more noise when you load the engine like a brake stall. An exhaust leak will definitely get worse with load to it is usually readily identifyable with load like that. Use a 3 foot piece of 3/8 rubber hose to listen around to locate the source of the noise. Use it like a stethascope...put one end in your ear and listen around with the other end.

Quote Originally Posted by bbob
    Put the car in gear and do a light brake stall against the torque converter by holding the brakes. If the "tick" gets noticably louder under some load then likely it is an exhaust leak .... probably from a cracked exhaust manifold. An exhaust leak from a cracked manifold will have a very metallic, harsh sound just like a bad lifter tick. Lifters , though, don't really know when you load the engine so a ticking lifter will not make more noise when you load the engine like a brake stall. An exhaust leak will definitely get worse with load to it is usually readily identifyable with load like that. Use a 3 foot piece of 3/8 rubber hose to listen around to locate the source of the noise. Use it like a stethascope...put one end in your ear and listen around with the other end.
    my friends dad did use a stethascope and i know for a fact that it's the lifter not the exhaust leak, we looked at the exhaust manifold underneath the car and no cracks visibly found.

If you are sure it is a lifter then take the valve covers off one at a time, idle the engine and see if you can locate which one is making noise. It may be a rocker arm or a pivot instead of a lifter. That engine has roller lifters that are pretty robust so they do not generally cause a problem with noise or anything.

89eldorado is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Unhappy Re: 4.5 engine ticking noise???

My '88 with 135kmiles had a ticking, which was noticable around 3k-4k rpms... It eventially blew the engine. I took off the cover and found that the exhaust valve cam follower rod on cylinder number 7... the front right one was bent...

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by 89eldorado
    My '88 with 135kmiles had a ticking, which was noticable around 3k-4k rpms... It eventially blew the engine. I took off the cover and found that the exhaust valve cam follower rod on cylinder number 7... the front right one was bent...

-Brian
    hmm..... bent rod, did it make a tick noise when you would warm it up in the morning and so forth then quiet down or better yet when you are doing about 43-45 mph did your engine kind of make a chugging noise when you would get into overdrive and slowly speed up more?

Pushrods don't "bend" for no reason. If a valve hits the piston due to the timing chain/gear failing then that would cause a bent pushrod....but it is not the root cause of the failure.....

Quote Originally Posted by 90devilleguy
    hmm..... bent rod, did it make a tick noise when you would warm it up in the morning and so forth then quiet down or better yet when you are doing about 43-45 mph did your engine kind of make a chugging noise when you would get into overdrive and slowly speed up more?
    The only way to really isolate this noise is to pull the valve covers off and listen to each of the valve lineups with a rubber hose to your ear to isolate which one is ticking...no one can do this for you or predict what the actual problem is.....it will take some diagnosis.

AElayyat is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 85 Fleetwood Brougham, 90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS

My dad's '89 Sedan Deville has the same problem, but that thing has 280k on it. Every oil change I use the Prolong formula, its like $20 at Pep Boys and this other formula in a yellow bottle for lifter/valve noise. It works good to quite down the problem. I can't remember the name off had but there is a formula made by the same company in a black bottle, this one runs like $2 or $3. I get this one from Pep Boys or Auto Zone, Kragen could also have this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by AElayyat
    My dad's '89 Sedan Deville has the same problem, but that thing has 280k on it. Every oil change I use the Prolong formula, its like $20 at Pep Boys and this other formula in a yellow bottle for lifter/valve noise. It works good to quite down the problem. I can't remember the name off had but there is a formula made by the same company in a black bottle, this one runs like $2 or $3. I get this one from Pep Boys or Auto Zone, Kragen could also have this stuff.
    problem solved old spark plugs. nice and smooth now.

89eldorado is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Question Re: 4.5 engine ticking noise???

Quote Originally Posted by bbob
    Pushrods don't "bend" for no reason. If a valve hits the piston due to the timing chain/gear failing then that would cause a bent pushrod....but it is not the root cause of the failure.....
    Yeah I suspect it is was the timing chain which broke... I'll be tearing it down in a week or so... gotta first drop the cradle...

When an exhaust valve sticks, then doesnt that create more shock (jerk) on the camshaft and thus the timing chain too?

When a valve sticks, can it only stick open? I guess thats right, probably only closed in turbo/high powered engines...

Regards,
    Brian

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.