Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Thread: 1990 Fleetwood to a 4.9 or N*

1990 Fleetwood to a 4.9 or N*

Ok, i haven't bought it yet, but i'm curious how hard it would be to change out the 4.5 to a 4.9 or a Northstar. my buddy said it would be easier to put in a 4.9. Would I need to change the Tranny too, or would it bolt right on? I know the Fleetwood has a 440T4 and I figured I would have to put in the 4T60E. Any help might convince me to buy it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 1990 Fleetwood to a 4.9 or N*

Why not find a nice W-body ( Grand Prix, Cutlass, Regal, Lumina/Monte ) with a dead motor and swap a 4.9 into that ? I'm putttin' a '95 4.9 into a '95 Monte Z34 and that's damn near a bolt in so Caddy into Caddy should be easier. Dependng on what year 4.9 you find you may be able to keep your 440T4 , if the donor car has a 4T60E I'd do the tranny as well because of the electronics all being tied together and swap out the complete cradle assembly and ECM. From a mechanical stand point it's a bolt in because the 440T4 is basically the same trans as the 4T0 and 60E externally. Find the same body style as yours with a 4.9 that's been hit in the side or rear and buy the whole car then you'll have everything you need and then some.

I want to buy a daily driver and use it for a while until i get some money and time to do the swap. Plus, I'm in college so everything is a little tight. I just wanted to know for future reference.

Properly tuned and with just some basic mods, the 4.5 is no slouch. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised.

Ya i know it has some power. by the way is there a way to change it PFI? I heard that gives it some more power and better emmisions(sp?) I meant I wanted to do this in a year or so, when I get the engine near 200,000 Miles.

It has 145,000 and going for $1700, my buddy said it's in good shape, but I haven't seen it yet. I tried to find it yesterday with no luck.