Question about spark plugs!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Question about spark plugs! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I was thinking about changing out my plugs and wires since I dont know when they were last changed. I ...
    92EldoTC is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Ex:'92 ETC 4.9 Current:'91 Sedan Deville 4.9

Question about spark plugs!

I was thinking about changing out my plugs and wires since I dont know when they were last changed. I put 13,000 on this car since I bought it.
    It doesnt hesitate, stall or misfire so am I good for a while or should I replace them anyway?
    Also if anyone does recommend replacing them, I dont want to buy any uneccessary tools, so what exactly do I need to do the job(sockets, extensions, pivots, etc)
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Re: Question about spark plugs!

Changing plugs/wires just because you do not know their history does not make any sense if yo are not looking for trouble.

chevelle is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

If it runs good I would just leave it alone. You could remove just one plug that is easy to access to check it for condition to see if it looks really old or worn. Usually you will do more damage trying to remove the plug boots, though, than you could prevent so I would just drive it unless there is an obvious problem. Plug wires and plugs are not the sort of thing that just fail without warning so you can usually predict, based on driveability, when they need attention.

If you want to check the condition of the wires park in a dark place at night, open the hood with the engine idling and warm and mist the plug wires with water from a spray bottle. Watch for arcs and sparks. If the wires are getting too old/brittle/cracked/etc. you can usually find any potential leakage of high voltage like this. If it is fine misting with water then they are usually very serviceable.

92EldoTC is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Ex:'92 ETC 4.9 Current:'91 Sedan Deville 4.9

good, that clears that up. I can save some time now knowing I have more miles left on these and that they dont need replacing!
    Thanks again guys!

MachX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan deVille 4.9L/1994 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L

I fully recommend installing the Bosch 4 point plugs. You have a somewhat high compression motor yet GM installs single point plugs! You may as well get maximum spark for just a few dollars more.

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

From the advice of others, I would install Platinum OEM Delco's.

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

First of all, I agree with Chevelle--leave it alone, or take out 1 plug to examine it before doing the job.

In my opinion, if your car has high miles, and you're not worried about an extra 3-5 hp, I'd just install regular AC Delco plugs (not the platinum ones). These were standard on the 4.1, 4.5, and 4.9 engines through 1991, and provide great performance for a cheap price.

I don't like Bosch plugs as they tend to run cooler than Delcos, and sometimes the 4 electrodes can get in the way of the air/fuel charge. I'd never buy them. A single electrode is just fine.

Tailfin is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville Concours

I'm with awadecki on this. I actually tried the Bosh Platinum +4, and I couldn't get them out fast enough. The electrodes shroud the spark. The fuel/air mixture has to burn "around" them which does not help efficiency. It does provide a sort of "path of least resistance" for the spark, but that is not the best in many cases. The current is as important as the voltage.

The compression also has little to nothing to do with what spark plug you use. Higher compression means the fuel/air mixture is more likely to explode, so it surely does not require a "better" plug to ignite it. Sure, you still want the strongest spark possible, but this is not accomplished by decreasing the surface area of spark to contact.

These engines like the AC Delco plugs, so I wouldn't go aftermarket at all on them. I've heard RapidFires are the best if you want to buy something fancier, but I have no personal experience with those.

100 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan De Ville (4.9 L)

If you have a higher (or lower) compression, the theory says the ignition voltage depends on the gas pressure... But it is just a theory and in Real world with a commercially available car, I believe it will not affect much.

And, I agree with awadecki. I noticed that I get more deposit at the electrode of a certain plug in my engine when I use Bosch. I asked (at an Autozone shop) if I can get hotter plugs. They said it is not needed unless I have serious modifications. But what awadecki said makes sense to me!

Terrifying Toronado is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '93 Eldo 4.9

Exclamation Re: Question about spark plugs!

Everyone has an opinion on sparkplugs...........heres mine AUTOLITE!

Mike

'93 Eldo 4.9
    '66 Toronado 7.0

hogdaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 79 coupe,87 allante

I'm terrifyed

MachX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan deVille 4.9L/1994 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L

From what I have read about wires, they don't just suddenly 'go' but lose their ability to conduct over time, making your car run less efficiently. My rule of thumb is to change them as soon as I get a car and then follow the manufacturer's recommendations afterwards.

BlackTTC6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Seville

I'm going with some NGK's for my seville. I don't think they've ever been changed.

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

Why would you buy NGK's? Haing had those in several motorcycles, I can definitely say that they suck.

ACDelco regular plugs are dirt cheap and excellent plugs. How can you go wrong with what the factory recommends when it's so efficient?

BlackTTC6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Seville

Quote Originally Posted by awadecki View Post
    Why would you buy NGK's? Haing had those in several motorcycles, I can definitely say that they suck.

ACDelco regular plugs are dirt cheap and excellent plugs. How can you go wrong with what the factory recommends when it's so efficient?
    I run NGK's in everying i own. Haven't had a problem

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.