1991 Fleetwood 4.9 high speed power loss
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 1991 Fleetwood 4.9 high speed power loss in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; HI all- Have a 1991 fleetwood (FWD). This car is losing power at high speed (passing, quick acceleration) once it ...
    Caddy-chris is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1991 Fleetwood 4.9 high speed power loss

HI all-

Have a 1991 fleetwood (FWD). This car is losing power at high speed (passing, quick acceleration) once it has warmed up. If you rev it up to higher RPMs at idle (in park) it acts like you are "pulsing" the gas pedal eg reving it up at fast intervals. One other thing to note is that the car will run great sometimes for an hour or so on the highway before the problem occurs and other times just for a few minutes. Once it starts acting up though, it gets worse and worse until you can barely accelerate from a standstill (a self propelled snow blower could kick me off the line slow!), however once you are moving, the car will maintain pretty much any speed you can manage to get it up to (downhills really help here).

NO error codes past or present
    Exhaust is not restricted
    changed out coil, O2 sensor, MAP, MAT, Coolant temp, fuel presure reg.
    -However all the values were OK on these before I replaced them & still are withing range all having logical values depending on engine speed, temp etc.

I have checked all the engine wiring to the dash harness with an ohm meter from every sensor, all of it checked out no problem.

Fuel pressure is a steady 40 PSI until the problem starts and the it flutters at the 40 PSI mark - no change with disconnected fuel pressure regulator or when I swapped it out with one from a good runner.

any suggestions you have would be very much welcomed at this point otherwise I can provide you with a map of where to find the car at the bottom of the lake!

Thanks,

Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

Re: 1991 Fleetwood 4.9 high speed power loss

pressure sounds low to me... fuel filter or fuel pump ? vaccum leak @ or before regulator ?

Caddy-chris is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks stoneage,

Replaced fuel filter this summer, I am thinking at this point that it is either fuel pump or bad injector. Forgot to mention that fuel used does NOT reflect what I am putting into the tank - at least 10-15 litres off! Check for vacuum leaks, replaced some suspect hoses, vacuum gauge reads normal. Also - reading on fuel pressure gauge does not change when the regulator is connected or dissconected. I think that 40 PSI is within spec though, if I remember correctly from the service manual. ( 37-42 sounds familiar)

At least it still looks great in the driveway,

Chris

Hippie is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Caddy-chris
    HI all-

If you rev it up to higher RPMs at idle (in park) it acts like you are "pulsing" the gas pedal eg reving it up at fast intervals. One other thing to note is that the car will run great sometimes for an hour or so on the highway before the problem occurs and other times just for a few minutes. Once it starts acting up though, it gets worse and worse until you can barely accelerate from a standstill (a self propelled snow blower could kick me off the line slow!), however once you are moving, the car will maintain pretty much any speed you can manage to get it up to (downhills really help here).

Fuel pressure is a steady 40 PSI until the problem starts and the it flutters at the 40 PSI mark - no change with disconnected fuel pressure regulator or when I swapped it out with one from a good runner.

Thanks,

Chris
    The pulsing in Park or Neutral when you try to rev it is a built in feature as near as I can tell. My '94 LeSabre and my wife's '99 Alero both do it it. Put in 1st and you can rev 'em out all you want.

As for the other symptoms it sounds EXACTLY like what my LeSabre was doing just before the fuel pump went. Minimum PSI for mine was supposed to be 45 as I recall and it was putting out 38-40. Had it to the shop 3 times before it would do it for them.

inmycadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 DTS Luxury II-?, 98 Eldorado-Crimson Pearl

Exclamation Re: 1991 Fleetwood 4.9 high speed power loss

Quote Originally Posted by Caddy-chris
    HI all-

Have a 1991 fleetwood (FWD). This car is losing power at high speed (passing, quick acceleration) once it has warmed up. If you rev it up to higher RPMs at idle (in park) it acts like you are "pulsing" the gas pedal eg reving it up at fast intervals. One other thing to note is that the car will run great sometimes for an hour or so on the highway before the problem occurs and other times just for a few minutes. Once it starts acting up though, it gets worse and worse until you can barely accelerate from a standstill (a self propelled snow blower could kick me off the line slow!), however once you are moving, the car will maintain pretty much any speed you can manage to get it up to (downhills really help here).

NO error codes past or present
    Exhaust is not restricted
    changed out coil, O2 sensor, MAP, MAT, Coolant temp, fuel presure reg.
    -However all the values were OK on these before I replaced them & still are withing range all having logical values depending on engine speed, temp etc.

I have checked all the engine wiring to the dash harness with an ohm meter from every sensor, all of it checked out no problem.

any suggestions you have would be very much welcomed at this point otherwise I can provide you with a map of where to find the car at the bottom of the lake!

Thanks,

Chris
    Could be injectors but the first place to start is by cleaning throttle body. I have a 91 and had the same problem and after tb cleaning i was passing TA's again!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.