4.9 performance upgrades ? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.9 performance upgrades ? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by Night Wolf The manifolds on a '95 4.9 are better flowing then the ones on my '93 ...
    Hippie is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 4.9 performance upgrades ?

Quote Originally Posted by Night Wolf
    The manifolds on a '95 4.9 are better flowing then the ones on my '93 4.9?..... the power output was always the same.... but if this is the case, that could be something to check into.....
    I don't know about the intakes but I know there is a major difference between the exhaust manifolds on my '95 and those on the '93 and older motors I checked out. The 95's are fairly well streamlined and the headpipe for the front bank passes under the motor while the '93 and earlier manifolds appear to be much more restrictive and the head pipe crosses over the top of the bellhousing. I think the '95 exhaust would be better if for no other reason than keeping exhaust heat away from the back of the intake, the distributor and oil filter. With the '95 headpipe air flow under the car would help pull heat away from the oil pan.

LacSeville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

95 manifolds would be nice to do... provided that the motor was out of the car! It still sounds like a lot of work for negligiable (sp) performance gains tho. Maybe when combined with the intake too and a good port job, it would make more sense. You don't happen to know if they'll bolt on? I assume they would... Have you guys looked at the Citation page with the turbo build? Does that just end w/o showing the completed project? Maybe my browser was messing up. I'd like to see more of that. I'd be interested to see what kind of tweaking needs to be done after it's all installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Edahall
    Try www.photobucket.com for posting pictures. It is free and works great.
    Thanks Edahall.

DeVillish,
    E-mails aren't going through, I'll give this a shot. As soon as my account is activated I'll post the pics.

LacSeville,
    Knowing Tyre's attention to detail I'm sure he's waiting until he has the bugs ironed out before he posts more on the turbo install. Keep checking back..........

DeVillish is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

my 4.5 is PFI, but i've been thinking of putting in a 4.9. Maybe rebuild it with a mild porting and a more agressive cam. Iam thinking with a little porting, a new cam and some nice headers and a ported intake i could really wake up a 4.x close to 250hp or maybe even closer to 300. Dont forget advancing the timing and chipping the computer. One day i would love to get my car in a mag, just to have another Caddy in a mag other than lowrider. Oh and if i did put in a 4.9 i'd just get the ECM to go with it, save me the trubble with fuel and stuff. Damn, now i wish i had pulled the 4.9 out of that 91 parts car i had!

90devilleguy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 SLS & 1962 Coupe Deville

Quote Originally Posted by DeVillish
    my 4.5 is PFI, but i've been thinking of putting in a 4.9. Maybe rebuild it with a mild porting and a more agressive cam. Iam thinking with a little porting, a new cam and some nice headers and a ported intake i could really wake up a 4.x close to 250hp or maybe even closer to 300. Dont forget advancing the timing and chipping the computer. One day i would love to get my car in a mag, just to have another Caddy in a mag other than lowrider. Oh and if i did put in a 4.9 i'd just get the ECM to go with it, save me the trubble with fuel and stuff. Damn, now i wish i had pulled the 4.9 out of that 91 parts car i had!
    I would definetly agree with the swap but all the other stuff, these trannys won't hold out that much power. You would have to do a MAJOR beef up of the tranny or you'll probably be spitting out tranny parts from underneath the car.

Already got that covered! Domestic Performance has "Bulletproof" tranies, they have 4T60-E and 4T80-E with LSD added to them. Iam thinking that will be the most costly thing to get, around 3500 for a whole trany with LSD that can handle around 500hp at the crank. But this will all take time and money, and after i get out of Basic i'll have about 3000 to play with, but fixing the body comes first.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

cant he exhaust manifolds be changined with the engine in the car or no?

Also another thing I was wondeirng.. I want to get the Fast Chip computer chip, can I get the chip AND do the advance timing thing?

as long as the engine doesnt knock. But before you spend the money on a Fastchip you should find out what exactly it does, some just do what advancing the timing would do, big waste. Also i think the fastchip chip just gets rid of the speed limiter, and doesnt add power.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Wolf
    cant he exhaust manifolds be changined with the engine in the car or no?
    The front would be pretty easy ( "easy" being a relative term ) but without having a complete Caddy to look at I don't know for sure about the rear although I'd say if you can get to the spark plugs to change them halfway easily then you can change the exhaust manifold. Not saying it will be fun but not impossible.

but see, i wonder if the 95 manifolds would work on the 89-93 style cars since the pipes go under the trany and not over. You would have to see if there is room under the trany for the pipe. I think i'll keep the pipe over the trany, will make it alot easier to put the turbo in, muhhahha! Oh you could always get some header wrap tape and wrap the pipe under the airbox.

Quote Originally Posted by DeVillish
    but see, i wonder if the 95 manifolds would work on the 89-93 style cars since the pipes go under the trany and not over. You would have to see if there is room under the trany for the pipe. I think i'll keep the pipe over the trany, will make it alot easier to put the turbo in, muhhahha! Oh you could always get some header wrap tape and wrap the pipe under the airbox.
    Don't see why they wouldn't, same motor, trans and cradle. I couldn't see any major differences between the 92's and 93's I looked at and the 95 my motor came out of. But if you plan to turbo it I can see where the earlier setup would make it easier.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

when I e-mailed Ed Wright he said it changed the fuel/air mixture, I think changed the tranny shift points, did the timing thing, and removed the speed limiter.... the limiter from what I heard is 130mph... I think it would be neat to have it removed.... but as it gets closer in time I will e-mail him again about it.....

I think its a little lower then 130, like 120 or 125. Hehe i hit the limiter a few times. My friend in hes old and really slow Supra said he couldnt pass me till he hit 120, he passed me a few seconds after i hit the limiter.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.