Spark plug removal on a 93 SDV
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Spark plug removal on a 93 SDV in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; OK, I surrender. I'm trying to do the 120k mile tune on my 93 SDV and for the life of ...
    Nick93SDV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Sedan Deville; 1997 Deville D'Elegance; 2010 DTS

Spark plug removal on a 93 SDV

OK, I surrender. I'm trying to do the 120k mile tune on my 93 SDV and for the life of me I can't figure out how to remove the four rear spark plugs. I'm an experienced VW shade tree mechanic, rebuilt plenty of engines in my time, but am at a total loss when I open the Caddy's hood and look at all that, um, stuff. How the heck do you people operate in such tight quarters?

Anyway, any tips you can tell me before I tackle those back four bad boys? Any special tools needed besides the usual assortment of socket extensions, u-joints, etc.?

Thanks,

Nick

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bob2231 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Spark plug removal on a 93 SDV

Quote Originally Posted by Nick93SDV
    OK, I surrender. I'm trying to do the 120k mile tune on my 93 SDV and for the life of me I can't figure out how to remove the four rear spark plugs. I'm an experienced VW shade tree mechanic, rebuilt plenty of engines in my time, but am at a total loss when I open the Caddy's hood and look at all that, um, stuff. How the heck do you people operate in such tight quarters?

Anyway, any tips you can tell me before I tackle those back four bad boys? Any special tools needed besides the usual assortment of socket extensions, u-joints, etc.?

Thanks,

Nick
    Hey Nick, welcome to GM FWD's. There are a couple tools you'll need to do this. The regular assorted length extensions, a good ( non floppy ) universal, a regular length and short handle socket wrench ( not required, but about a 3 inch handle is a big help ), a band-aid or 2, and a beer of your choice. I tend to go for cheap domestic for the beer. It's also used to rince the scrapes, and who wants to waste the good stuff ?
    I do 2 and 8 first because they seem to be the most inconvenient, and you're going to stretch a bit, so get those first. Pull the wire, change the plug and move on. Try not to have 2 wires pulled at the same time, it's a pain in the butt to sort that out.
    Anyway, it's really not that bad. I've never seen the rear plugs on any of my GM FWD's, you get used to changing them by feel pretty quick. It's not hard.
    Bob

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Nick93SDV

Thanks,

Nick
    I got more room for the back plugs when I removed the strut tower connecting bar, plus, for the 2 back plugs on the pass. side, I had to lift up and flex the heater hoses, but it's possible. You can try to slide your arm in with the socket wrench under all that crap from the driver's side, but it's a stretch! Some 4.9 owners suggest going from underneath the car, but I found that more difficult.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Stand on the left side of the car and lean over the left fender. Reach under the cylinder head of the right/rear side from the rear of the engine/left side of the engine compartment. You can reach forward toward the front of the engine down low by leaning way over the fender.... You can't see them this way but they are pretty easy to change by feel.... I find that a simple small rachet and plain straight spark plug socket is all that is needed on the right side. The trick is just to reach under the cylinder head from the rear rather than trying to get at them between the firewall and the cylinder head from straight above.

Or, put it on a hoist and do them from below.

Hey, it really isn't that bad to have to change them every 100K.... You used to do them every 20K under that shade tree when fuel had lead in it and the plugs were not platinum.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

I dread the day I (with help from my father most likly) change the plugs on my CDV (probably this Spring) since the engine bay is pretty much the same size as my '89 Olds 88..... but that has a 3800 V6, a lot of room all aorund the enigne, adn the plugs were a snitch to do..... but the Cad.... damn, they are hiden way under there....

Excellent advice! Thanks for all the suggestions. Sounds doable andbest of all it doesn't look like I need anything special like GM tool 3424623-4324356MK-2.

I appreciate the help. If you ever want to know how to string a broken down '71 VW Bus with enough bailing wire and duct tape to get it the last 5 miles to Furnace Creek, just give me a shout.

Nick

up2ng is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I guess you had no problems doing the 2 passenger side front plugs? (the ones behind the Power Steering pump), Those were a bitch for me !

Quote Originally Posted by up2ng
    I guess you had no problems doing the 2 passenger side front plugs? (the ones behind the Power Steering pump), Those were a bitch for me !
    One of the few advantages of small hands, I guess... (I once changed the oil cooler in a '71 VW Bus without dropping the engine; if you know about VW air cooleds, you know I had to work in some tight ass space by touch alone). I did snap off the porcelin of one of the original plugs (the second one on the front from the passenger side) which made my stomach churn but eventually it came out just fine. If the rear set are no worse, I'll be fine.

up2ng is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I had to work in some tight ass space by touch alone
    Yep, doin it by Braille

Another thing that might help in the back is to take off the cover for the electrical center on the firewall..

DeVillish is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

when i changed mine i laid on the engine, lol. Its really not that bad and its alot better then paying for an extra hours worth of labor on top of the price for a tune up. 200 bucks for a tune up, HA! HA i say!

caddypimp93 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Talking Re: Spark plug removal on a 93 SDV

SAME HERE! JUST LAY DOWN ON THE ENGINE!! lol it works trust me, the plugs on the HT4100 are easier access than the 4.9 but this method works well on both, oh heres a quick story for ya , some dumbass finger tightened the plugs in place on a 3800 Series I V6 , but then forgot to tighten them down, end result... Loose plugs + turn it over = plugs through radiator hahaha!! I still clown him when i see him

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.