im new here but here goes...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, im new here but here goes... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; hello, i have a 1991 caddy seville with 138k on the OD. i have been reading some of the threads ...
    illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

im new here but here goes...

hello, i have a 1991 caddy seville with 138k on the OD. i have been reading some of the threads here about perfomance options for the 4.9 liter. well, here goes with what i have done, keeping in mind that these are all external mods, without removing the engine. here is the list of stuff;

custom cool air intake, k&n cone filter attached to a 45 degree angle pcv tube on the end of the iar cleaner lid.
    msd digital 6 ignition with 8.5 mm superconductor wires and an hvc blaster 2 coil.
    ac delco spitfire platinum plugs gapped at .060, accel cap/rotor kit with an msd dust cover for the remote blaster coil.
    i have a freeflow cat with a flowmaster dual outlet muffler, with big assed chrome tips coming from the back end.
    i have also put a throttle boy adapter /spacer under the TB, along with advanced timing on the ignition.(6dgrees)with some octane boost o kep the pinging in chech. as of yet, i have had no knoick or ping from the timing advance.

all in all, i would guess that this car is running aroung 250-260 hp with all the mods,keeping in competition with some of the older n-stars(275 hp version)with exellent results.

i do have plans for the internals for my 4.9, but tht is a feww $$$$$$$$$$ away. when that happens though, ill let everyong know how it turns out. thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: im new here but here goes...

oh one more thing, forgive the spelling effort here, my keyboard sucks. thanks.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by illumina
    hello, i have a 1991 caddy seville with 138k on the OD. i have been reading some of the threads here about perfomance options for the 4.9 liter. well, here goes with what i have done, keeping in mind that these are all external mods, without removing the engine. here is the list of stuff;

custom cool air intake, k&n cone filter attached to a 45 degree angle pcv tube on the end of the iar cleaner lid.
    msd digital 6 ignition with 8.5 mm superconductor wires and an hvc blaster 2 coil.
    ac delco spitfire platinum plugs gapped at .060, accel cap/rotor kit with an msd dust cover for the remote blaster coil.
    i have a freeflow cat with a flowmaster dual outlet muffler, with big assed chrome tips coming from the back end.
    i have also put a throttle boy adapter /spacer under the TB, along with advanced timing on the ignition.(6dgrees)with some octane boost o kep the pinging in chech. as of yet, i have had no knoick or ping from the timing advance.

all in all, i would guess that this car is running aroung 250-260 hp with all the mods,keeping in competition with some of the older n-stars(275 hp version)with exellent results.

i do have plans for the internals for my 4.9, but tht is a feww $$$$$$$$$$ away. when that happens though, ill let everyong know how it turns out. thanks.
    Cool mods. I bet you can feel the difference and it has an awsome sound at idle?

LacSeville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

illumina... send me some pics of your car! I have a '91 Seville tan w/ brown rag top, 17s, dynomax duals, k&n + dremeled intake box, tints, system, etc. Here's a link to mine on cardomain.com. I especially want pics of the custom intake! I'm interested in doing something like that, but don't really know how to go about it. I need ideas!

ill send some pics of the car when i get my scanner working or get a digital camera.should not be long at all for either...as far as looks to the exterior, the car is silver with blue interior,leather of course. 15 inch chrome wheels from a factory 95 sedan deville, with BW 225/65 r15 tires to it. the windows are not shaded as of yet becuase the police already seem to "like" the sound of the exhaust, with tinted windows, i may be in trouble there.i also have 2 other caddys as well, an 87 seville w/4.1 which is blown and an 86 sedan deville w/4.1, also blown. not to worry though, these cars are rebiuld and sell projects to finance the 91 internal engine mods.but ill keep all posted soon w/pics and more mod ideas.thanks for the replys folks...see ya.

90devilleguy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 SLS & 1962 Coupe Deville

Which spacer is that for 87-89 or later TBI

sorry folks for not getting to reply to the messages, i have been out of town for a while.the spacer is for the gm trucks after 1991 or so.i got this at jegs for about $75.00.sometime during the summer my seville will get a fuel injector upgrade along with the usual pressure regulator fittings and such. i beleive the OEM injectors are rated at 16 lbs.hr., will go for 19 lbs.hr. i will also put an ajustable regulator on too with a fuel pump brain. last will be a custom chip, if i can find a place that makes one, for computer compensation on the fueling upgrade. hopefully this wierd idea will pan out.if anyone has anny suggestions for me, i would love to here it. thanks for the time folks.

oh, i will have some pics up soon, as i said, i've been out'a town, so have not had time for getting them ready. thanks.illumina .

sorry folks for not getting to reply to the messages, i have been out of town for a while.the spacer is for the gm trucks after 1991 or so.i got this at jegs for about $75.00.sometime during the summer my seville will get a fuel injector upgrade along with the usual pressure regulator fittings and such. i beleive the OEM injectors are rated at 16 lbs.hr., will go for 19 lbs.hr. i will also put an ajustable regulator on too with a fuel pump brain. last will be a custom chip, if i can find a place that makes one, for computer compensation on the fueling upgrade. hopefully this wierd idea will pan out.if anyone has anny suggestions for me, i would love to here it. thanks for the time folks.

oh, i will have some pics up soon, as i said, i've been out'a town, so have not had time for getting them ready. thanks.illumina .
    do you notice a difference, and also did you have to lengthen any of the fuel lines or egr lines that go into the throttle body.

to 90 devilleguy...

i did notice a small difference with the spacer, with the air intake that i rigged for the car, i would say from small (5-8 hp)to a larger gain(13-17hp).plus the fuel econ. has improved greatly, around 16 mpg for lead-foot all city driving .as far as plumbing, i did have to cut the metal vaccume line on the T.B. that goes to the brake booster off,so i could get around the e.g.r., leaving about an inch for the hose to fit on the T.B.with regret, i could not use any steel braid-anodized fittings for the hose because of an already restricted space. other than that, the mod was worth the $75.00 i spent on it.when used with my open element air intake ($50.00), the hp gain was as mentioned above.

illumina..... how did you hook up the msd ignition box to the system please explain?

90devilleguy...hooking the msd up was kinda easy. the distributor system is basically the same as a small-block chevy in regardes to set up. the instruction manual that came with the msd had specific directions to each gm-ignition (others as well).just find the section that shows how to install on a 7-pin ignition module, and your good to go. if you are without a manual, i can dig mine out and send you a pic of the lay out when i get my scanner up'n running. all you have to do with the box itself is to find a remote area to put it in...are you thinking of installing one?as i said before, i will get some pics of the setup as soon as i can...please be patient with me on that. if there are any other questions, ask and i shall tell...for a price .

for those who are interested in what i have done to my 91' seville, check this out, and let me know what you think.http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/569881

Msilva954 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

That seville looks great, love what you have done to the engine compartment. That intake looks great, did you do a write up on how you did it? I think alot of people on this forum would like to do an air intake like yours, but none have seen one until now.

no, i have not done a write up yet. but here go's...
    what is needed;K&N cone air filter, 600 cfm for nls-1 type engines.
    45 degree angle pvc plumbing tube.
    Anodizing paint with ground coating. (duplicolor)
    small dremell type tool w/grinding stone for plastic.
    small peice of flexible metal, around 6"long, 1"wide.
    regular hand tools.
    how it is done; First, you should use a small grinder to make a groove into each edge of the pvc fitting. this will prevent the filter from slipping off of the setup. second, take the pvc fitting and tape off the grooved edges for painting.this way, you will not have the problem of more slipping due to warm paint.
    third, before the painting, you need to make a small support bracket for the filter setup. that small peice of metal will do the trick. it is assumed that you have already removed the stock air box (bottom and top)after removed, you should see the airbox bracket with a stud on it. keep the bolt that goes to the stud. do a mock assebly by placing the pvc to the end of the top of the air intake setup, set the part into place onto the throttle body, and then mark a spot on the bottom of the pvc in alighnment with the stud. after you do this, drill a small hole into the bottom of the pvc fitting, making sure you have a screw to attach the metal bracket that will be made.
    fourth, make sure you measure the length of area between the pvc fitting and the original air cleaner bracket. next, mark the area on the small metal for two holes to drill, top and bottom.then bend the metal to the specs you have measured, now you have a support device for the air cleaner.
    fifth, now you paint, use whatever color suite you tastes, i used blue anodized from duplicolor, but as long as you paint it, it will be fine. (non painted looks like s*&t).
    sixth, attach the filter to one end of the pvc, clamp it down. next, attach the pvc tube into the boot from the upper end of the air cleaner, clamp and tighten that as well. fit the new assembly onto the TB, bolt the bottom end to the original aircleaner support bracket using the new bracket support.

i hope i made this understandable, if not, i will try and post some step-by-step pics of what needs to be done. thanks, illumina.

Msilva954 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

Thats great, im pretty sure your the first to do something like this, does the intake get louder now?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.